My run in with an 06 ST today....

ysabelle

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you'll find its been a good while since there has been such a 'rant'.

Stereotypes get the same reaction elsewhere too.

We're expressing an opinion. I think you'll see that a number of people posted before me too StevieD, including a number of GTI owners - so please don't single me out saying I'm provoking something when I'm just one of a number of TSN-ers passing comment.

I'm not saying it's only you mate, I'm just saying it generally seems to be you and Garcon who come wading in.

tbh I've never frequented the other car forums enough to see a reaction on stereotypes, I was guessing at that point wink.gif

At the end of the day, an ST will have a more chav stereotype than a GTI, but then an S3 will be less chav than the GTI. Each to their own, or whatever.

To be honest this is the first thread for a while in the GTi forum which has actually talked about driving the GTi and not just polishing the tail pipes or explaining how the indicators work when using a USB MP3 player!

Well done ysabelle, at least someone still finds time to drive it and enjoys the experience enough to write about it. 169144-ok.gif

According to some you can only post a report on driving the thing if you have no intent to compare with any other car in a less than fanatically fair way.

What is all this PC dung.gif ???

So to fan the flames in the interest of a mildly non PC interesting topic ...Fords are all rubbish, all STs are Orange and driven by Chavs !

jump.gif

OOPS - Didnt actually intend to instigate this level of hostility. The post was meant to be read by GTI owners , hence the post in the GTI section and not a general part of the forum. Anyways, justifications for some of the comments I made :

"9Stone Chav" - Most chav's/pikeys are indeed very slim. The comment was not meant to stereotype ST drivers but as a reference to his driving style.

"Its a Ford, say no more" - I have owned many fords in the past from RS Turbos to the previous ST170. I have had significant problems and in MY opinion the general reputation of fords is well earned.

Since swapping my modded WRX for the GTI I have always been impressed by the cars performance through 3rd gear upwards. To say that the ST owner wasnt trying is complete and utter bo***ks. If that were the case I would have overtook him immediately. It was obvious by his driving style that he was goading me.

I always assumed that the ST was quicker than the GTI and was genuienly suprised that the GTI can more than hold its own. With only 2k on the clock and in standard form I can only imagine what a modded version with more mileage must feel like.

ysabelle - don't worry too much about the furore. This is an internet forum after all - expressing our opinions is its very lifeblood. 169144-ok.gif

It has to be said though, most stories (however true) of conquests on the road are likely to be met with at least a little wry humour here, because in truth there are always so many other factors than the outright performance of the two cars, and stories of racing on the roads are a little - erm - chav. grin.gif

One thing I do find hilarious is how defensive some people get (and it's not just in the GTI forum - try the A3 versus 1-series war!) even at the slightest criticism or humour t their expense. Most of us know the GTI is a great car - so there's really no need to protest quite so much!

As for the cars - in terms of ability I honestly think the GTI and the ST are extremely evenly matched. So much so, it really is down to personal taste and (for want of a better way of putting it) image awareness as to which one you'll choose. The GTI is undoubtedly seen as a little up market from the ST, and has all the heritage of VW GTIs of the past. The Ford is seen as a little more 'blue collar', but still has the great heritage of Ford RS's and XR's behind it.

Personally I'd pick the ST, but only because I could have it in orange, and for its wonderful exhaust note. grin.gif

P.S. Thankyou to those who took my little DB9 comment in the spirit in which it was intended. 169144-ok.gif For the rest of you - it was a feckin joke FFS!

Well said garcon although I wouldnt have called it a race, more of a 'spirited' stint with an adversary. The exercise proved that the cars are very evenly matched. Lets not go down the GTI is great in the 'twisties' bit.

Horses for courses but we all know its a one horse race wink.gif169144-ok.gifbike.thumb.gif

It’s always a difficult one, because as others have said, you don’t know whether your adversary is trying as hard as you. Even if he/she is trying, then they might not be getting right to the red line, they might be rubbish at changing gear etc. Also, small differences in 0-60 times really aren’t that noticeable on the road.

I felt quite pleased with myself yesterday when I managed to (quite easily) despatch a new Leon FR that had decided to speed up and attach itself to my rear bumper. However, I was a little disappointed when I spotted it was a TDI when he went past me in some roadworks!

I was in my wifes BMW 130.

I've no doubt the Leon has plenty of mid range oomph, but we were going up through the gears so it didn't really stand a chance and I wouldn't expect it to. However, I reckon the Leon will be pretty quick in normal day to day driving.

It’s worth pointing out that the 130 isn't exactly lacking in torque and has an instant response as well as pulling really well from tickover. If the 170 engine is anything like my 140, nothing much will happen below 1700-1800 rpm.

[ QUOTE ]

ysabelle - don't worry too much about the furore. This is an internet forum after all - expressing our opinions is its very lifeblood. 169144-ok.gif

It has to be said though, most stories (however true) of conquests on the road are likely to be met with at least a little wry humour here, because in truth there are always so many other factors than the outright performance of the two cars, and stories of racing on the roads are a little - erm - chav. grin.gif

One thing I do find hilarious is how defensive some people get (and it's not just in the GTI forum - try the A3 versus 1-series war!) even at the slightest criticism or humour t their expense. Most of us know the GTI is a great car - so there's really no need to protest quite so much!

As for the cars - in terms of ability I honestly think the GTI and the ST are extremely evenly matched. So much so, it really is down to personal taste and (for want of a better way of putting it) image awareness as to which one you'll choose. The GTI is undoubtedly seen as a little up market from the ST, and has all the heritage of VW GTIs of the past. The Ford is seen as a little more 'blue collar', but still has the great heritage of Ford RS's and XR's behind it.

Personally I'd pick the ST, but only because I could have it in orange, and for its wonderful exhaust note. grin.gif

P.S. Thankyou to those who took my little DB9 comment in the spirit in which it was intended. 169144-ok.gif For the rest of you - it was a feckin joke FFS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said there, id just like to add that this whole tyresmoke forum has an icon like this 1.gif.

So are we not allowed to use this icon incase a 1 series owner gets upset now?

How is it different to the comments in the start of this thread?

In the end up tho its a forum and the banter is part of it, just take it with a pinch of salt and move on. 169144-ok.gif

Reaction time, momentum, grip, revs and gear and timing make the difference. You can have a relatively average car with less performance than a GTI but if they're on the gas in a peak power a split secind before you are on the power, lower in the range, you'll be ashamed of your car!

[ QUOTE ]

Reaction time, momentum, grip, revs and gear and timing make the difference. You can have a relatively average car with less performance than a GTI but if they're on the gas in a peak power a split secind before you are on the power, lower in the range, you'll be ashamed of your car!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. Upto about 70 (ish) a lot of cars are very evenly matched. Indeed, just look at the TG lap times, most cars are within a few seconds of each other, which even with a professional driver can be accounted for by a few slipped changes and a poor corner. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true indeed - and anyone that has been on a TSN Meet can stand testament to it.

On the Northeast/Scotland's 'enthusiastic' runs it is very difficult indeed to get a convoy seperated once you're on the country lanes. The 'Winter Slip & Slide' run saw all manner of cars close to each other over a 17 mile jaunt of extremely enthusiastic driving. Then, the Summer Mega-Meet saw another cross-country explosion of machinery when, whilst a few did get lost(!), most cars stayed together on a rather rapid expedition to the coast on some twisty roads with E90 3-series Tourer drivers expressing their displeasure with our, ermmm, manner of driving...

Only on long stretches when the bigger cars could open their valves did you see gaps appearing, but they're quickly closed down in corners. The same could be said of the Winter run, when corners saw the big machinery have to slow a bit more, but then pull away again on the straight....or at least once they'd established traction!

The fact is, in the real world, there is very very little difference between most cars and it's mostly down to how good a driver is or, more commonly, how stupid they are and the risks they're prepared to take.

[ QUOTE ]

...with E90 3-series Tourer drivers expressing their displeasure with our, ermmm, manner of driving...

[/ QUOTE ]

Epic, it'll stand out as one of my lasting memories of 2006 !!! (Sorry to butt in on the Thread) !! yelrotflmao.gif

grin.gif

Actually, it was me who took umbridge with the original post, not Garcon or MrMe slap.gif

As I have said, I like the GTi a lot, Robin was kind enough to let me have a blast in his GTi and I was very impressed, I have also driven the ST and like it!

My post was aimed at the whole attitude of some in here that the GTi is the greatest car of all time confused.gif

....You're right, Smitten - Some posts in this forum do come across like that even if they aren't meant to.

The main problem is that this Mk5 GTI happens to be one of those rare cars which the manufacturer got right and it also has a long tradition of being an iconic sub-brand (GTI). As a result, bods like us get very enthusiastic about it and, for many of us, it is the perfect car to suit our individual needs.

Having said that, there are bound to some young bucks amongst us who do have a slightly more 'boy-racer' approach compared to others. I feel a bit embarrassed as a GTI owner if people try and claim it's even better (usually faster) than it really is. Garcon put it very well, and so did MrMe.

Additionally, one must add the usual TSN banter and teasing which happens in a thread - Nothing wrong with that!

169144-ok.gif