Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scots_warrior

Chipping ECU on 1.9 TDi A4 (1997) 90 Bhp

8 posts in this topic

luv my car but it does feel a little flat, spoke to a local company who said they could chip my 90 bhp to 120 bhp, the cost of this is £300 inc vat. Do you think that this is value for money? and, Would I notice the difference of 30 bhp?

all comments welcome before I part with the dosh folks!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

luv my car but it does feel a little flat, spoke to a local company who said they could chip my 90 bhp to 120 bhp, the cost of this is £300 inc vat. Do you think that this is value for money? and, Would I notice the difference of 30 bhp?

all comments welcome before I part with the dosh folks!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I though around £350-£400 was the price for a chip, so sounds cheap, might be worth asking which chip it is, see if anyone knows anything about them, although you shouldn't have a problem with any of the big names (superchips, AMD, Revo, etc)

As For wether you'll notice the difference, well, I have a 90, and Burti (another member here) has a 110, and i can certainly tell the difference there, and when racing he can pull away from me fairly easily.....being in mind its another third of your current HP, i'd say go for it!!

I don't think there's much doubt that you would notice a 33% increase in power. You'll probably notice much better overtaking performance for a start, but all round the engine should feel a lot more flexible and should pull much easier.

£300 is potentially a good price, but do make sure the chip is from a reputable tuning company (Upsolute/Superchips/...).

Thanks for the posts guy's, just about made my mind up, I spoke to the dude on the phone and he said that he was not going to replace the chip in the ecu.He was going to mount a unit inside the engine compartment and connect it to the pump via a cable with either an 8 or a 10 pin connector? He said the unit is removable and can be fitted to another car if I sold the car, or after a smash the unit could be removed thus taking it back to its original bhp, and would not affect your insurance. Whats your thoughts on this guy's

all advice warmly accepted sportifs2.gif

Hmm, not sure about this.

Can you get more details about exactly what this "unit" does ?

What "pump" does it connect to ?

I'm not sure how you get a 33% increase in power without messing with the engine mappings in the ECU somehow (ie "chip" or reprogramming ala REVO).

Is there a brand name behind this unit or is it something this company have developed themselves. If it's the latter, you might want to get some references from (more than one) satisfied users before you part with your hard-earned cash.

Sorry, getting confused which item I'm answering here... since S4D has answered here, I'll carry on, sorry for duplicating.

To answer the first question, I'm thinking of getting my 2.5 TDI chipped and I think one of the (beneficial) issues is not just the increase in HP, it's the broader torque curve, i.e. the car should be much more responsive, less prone to peter out of power at low/high revs, etc.

On the other hand, I don't know which device this guy is talking about fitting, or his "advice"/sales technique

He's talking bollocks about the insurance, or at least giving bad advice - do you really think the other party in an insurance case is going to stand about admiring the flowers after a major crash, while you surreptitiously rip a box with wires dangling from it out of your engine before the tow-truck arrives ?

It's just not worth it - the insurance upgrade is going to be trivial compared to the cost of a refused insurance cover if the company find you tried to con them - fancy buying someone else's replacement car for them from your own money ?

Whether you want to try and outsmart the dealer over the *warranty* by removing the thing before taking the car back for a service, is a different issue, and one for your own conscience. But I think only an idiot would try to fool the insurance companies, especially over such a low difference: I asked about upgrading from 163 to 190 hp, and it wasn't an awful lot more on the premium.

On the other hand, this was for a dealer-fitted, Audi-recognised (although not warranty-covered) Abt system. I think what your guy is trying to tell you is that his cheap box of tricks will bugger your insurance because of its poor quality or lack of approval. A major fitter would (a) tell you not to fool about with the insurers (the MTM, Abt, and Oettinger dealers are unanimous about this, even if they have differing views on the warranty); and (b) put in something that is at least going to be recognised as reputable by third parties, rather than telling you to try and sneak away with it in your pocket after a crash.

The tuning boxes don't do the best job on the tuning front, all they do is take the electronic signal from the ECU to the fuel pump amplify it (Calculated of course) and then alter the fueling accordingly. The advantage of this is it is a plug in box, but you are likely to get more smoke from your tractor. A chip will give better performance improvements all round, the reason for this being that not only do they alter the fueling but also your turbo pressure, allowing not only more fuel but more air, thus increasing performance further.

personally if I had a combine harvester I'd be looking at a chip instead of one of the boxes which is available from Van Aaken or Tuning box....having said that Van Aaken certainly know what they are doing, they've been at it long enough.