R32 v BMW 335D

nicks3

I tried a 335D (3.0 twin turbo diesel yesterday, 286bhp standard!) and was blown away by it. That is one seriously fast car that the R32 would struggle to live with..........

No dropping down of gears to get speed up (my r32 is dsg and the 335D only comes with auto) just an awesome push in the back as the 2 turbos spool up.

I' not comparing guys, I'm just letting you all know what the car is like....I have an R32 and love it. 169144-ok.gif

The main difference is the way the cars accelerate, the R32 needs to drop down a few gears whereas the 335D has loads of torque allowing it to just go without droping gears. Ultimate speed probably isn't too much different its just the way they do it.

Very interested to hear your comment - was this at a UK dealers? Thought the 335d was coming next year? How did handling compare to the r32? and are there any MPG figures for the 335? Seem to spend a lot of time at the pumps...

I have to admit that the 335 is on the list as possible next car after the r32...

Before I got my R32 my main car was an old Porsche 944S, a couple of months ago I was accelerating hard to get past dome traffic on a dual carriageway and a car came up behind me going faster and accelerating harder than me, I pulled over to let it pass and it was ........

A BMW 320D touring! I couldn't believe it, however later someone told me that they are fast and that BMW play down the performance of the 320D because other wise it would undermine the price of some of their more expensive cars. I don't know if that true but I am not surprised to hear of another fast BMW running on tractor fuel ;-)

The 335D comes with no extras at all, so your £36K doesn't get you much. A friend with a 330D Touring is thinking about trading up, but by the time he had a spec that was liveable with, the price was up over £40K.

Great car, esp in Coupe guise, but it's more in the A4 sized league than the Golf league. Yes, I'd have one, but not for that much money.

Combined mpg stated as 37.7!

I had a 330d on demot and driving it hard average 31 in town and thrashing on country lanes.

Dad's 535d averages 32mpg to I would think around 35ish for the 335d. They are available to order now......

I am very tempted, this is one quick car!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

There's just something about BMWs which makes them undesirable.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, further to the above, to don your mode of posting, there is something about VW R32 owners, a minority of them, that lets the rest of the down....

..see your post above and the previous post by Oatz for evidence of that.

Mind you, I support you both in not liking the brand. Please, don't ever ever ever ever buy one. We wouldn't want the brand to be belittled after all. 169144-ok.gif

Touche boys, touche. grin.gif

If you're not careful, you'll be branded the new GTi forum. You're getting a bit like them, or so it appears on the evidence of some of the posts above. grin.gifwink.gif

On a serious note....

Nick - the 335d is pretty much up there performance wise with an E46 M3, as documented by the motoring press already. It's a very serious car indeed. Hence it's premium and, I agree, unfair comparison to an R32. Its a very different car and in a bracket above the Golf (no offence intended, it's just a fact).

[ QUOTE ]

335d is quoted as 6.2 secs 0-60 (155 limited) so it would be a good contest vs a factory R.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't. Thats purely the 0-60 you're quoting.

Have a look at the in-gear times for 3rd, 4th and 5th.

The 335d would leave most cars standing - and it'd pull away from an R32 very visibly indeed. No matter what you think of the brand, the 335d is going to become a serious stealth car.

a 10 minute blast as a passenger in a 535d really impressed a few months back, so the 335d must benefit from the weight difference.

If BMW make a 135i/d then the MkV .:R will be one of the 'slower' cars in the category (is a 135 variant in another category now confused.gif ).

Nothing wrong with the .:R being a slower car, the 135i/d will have 2 turbos. Heck I may even consider a test drive with that combo smile.gif

I sort of see the 335d as a car for a few years time but it doesnt currently appeal.

the odd thing is that I used to own cars in the same segment as the 3-series, but as all model sizes have increased I've found myself moving back 'down' the model range. Wierd. Would go for the touring model if I ever bought a 3-series - in saloon form it looks pretty dull (esp from back) imo.

some pics -

1090696095-bmw-335d-coup.jpg

8.jpg

Subjective though isn't it. Personally I much prefer the looks of the 335. Oh, and an S4 certainly wouldn't leave one standing. In real-world driving, you'd find a 335d very hard to shake off in an S4. As I said, it's performance mid-range is very similar to an E46 M3.

It'll also hold its money a hell of a lot better than an S4 (reknown, after all, for plummeting in value) - and give you double the fuel consumption.