[Audi A3/S3] Killer S-Line Sports Seats

spook

Killer for my back!

I've got my 3.2 S-Line a couple of weeks ago, and I've got a real problem with the seats. No matter how I adjust them, I can't get comfortable. My lower back doesn't feel supported (no lumbar option fitted) and the seat feels too hard at the base of my spine. Also, it seems like the backrest padding is slightly angled towards the centre of the car, and I feel like I have to twist slightly in the seat to remain square on to the controls. All this combines to cause me backache after anything more than a short drive.

I wish I'd found a car with lumbar support fitted now, but I wonder whether this would have made any difference to the other problems I've described.

The seats are, quite simply, ruining my enjoyment of the car, to the point where I'm thinking of getting rid frown.gif It it just me, or has anyone else had similar problems with these seats? Constructive suggestions welcomed!

[ QUOTE ]

It it just me, or has anyone else had similar problems with these seats? Constructive suggestions welcomed!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not alone! my seats dont have lumber support and i've noticed that my lower back gets a bit painful after a long journey. They're certainly not the best seats in the world but I also had the same problems with the recaros in both the S3 and the S4. The best seats were the sports seats in the A4. They were perfect!

I also wish i'd opted for full leather after my boy spilt cola all over the front seat. leaves a lovely stain smashfreakB.gif

The seat issue is the reason that I never bought an A3 S-line. Even my 12 year old son cannot get comfy!

I am holding off ordering an R32 as I am really hopeful that the S3 seats will be better.

Are you not able to return the car under the 30 day exchange scheme for something else??

prt

[ QUOTE ]

Are you not able to return the car under the 30 day exchange scheme for something else??

prt

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately not an option. The car wasn't official Audi Approved.

I was considering writing to Audi Customer Services to see if they could assist, perhaps by agreeing something with a view to replacing the driver's seat with one with lumbar support. Apart from this, I can't think of anything else, other than to chip the car in for an S3 and take the considerable financial "hit" this would entail.

The seats without Lumbar actually sink inwards towards the bottom, meaning you back is arched away from your stomach, terrible design and it is no wonder it starts to get uncomfortable after 15 minutes or so.

I would get a tea towel and start to try and sort it out yourself.

You need to take the backrest off the car.

Then you can place the tea towel (folded in various ways to make it thicker) and place it between the frame and the foam.

After experimenting you should be able to get it so it pushes your back out and makes it far more comfy.

Worth a try??

[ QUOTE ]

The seats without Lumbar actually sink inwards towards the bottom, meaning you back is arched away from your stomach, terrible design and it is no wonder it starts to get uncomfortable after 15 minutes or so.

I would get a tea towel and start to try and sort it out yourself.

You need to take the backrest off the car.

Then you can place the tea towel (folded in various ways to make it thicker) and place it between the frame and the foam.

After experimenting you should be able to get it so it pushes your back out and makes it far more comfy.

Worth a try??

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, but I really don't see why I should start pulling apart a seat on a car costing £33,000 new to fix a design fault that Audi ought to put right.

I think it's disgraceful that a top of the range car like mine doesn't even have manual lumbar adjustment.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It it just me, or has anyone else had similar problems with these seats? Constructive suggestions welcomed!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not alone! my seats dont have lumber support and i've noticed that my lower back gets a bit painful after a long journey. They're certainly not the best seats in the world but I also had the same problems with the recaros in both the S3 and the S4. The best seats were the sports seats in the A4. They were perfect!

I also wish i'd opted for full leather after my boy spilt cola all over the front seat. leaves a lovely stain smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What A4?

My B6 S Line are not that great, squab is too long especially for wife, her B5 is a bit better. My S3 was great but it did take a while to get used to them.

I've driven my old 80 Sport (1985) a lot recently and they are superior to both B5 & B6...... in a 21 year old car !

[quoteMy B6 S Line are not that great, squab is too long especially for wife, her B5 is a bit better. My S3 was great but it did take a while to get used to them.

I've driven my old 80 Sport (1985) a lot recently and they are superior to both B5 & B6...... in a 21 year old car !

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate to the 20 yr old car arguement my old D plate Quattro had better seats than my Sline especially in supporting the back of my legs... keep suffering with cramp in my calf on this one . Electric Lumbar is brill for the back as i said above but the squab is short on support or length.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What A4?

My B6 S Line are not that great, squab is too long especially for wife, her B5 is a bit better. My S3 was great but it did take a while to get used to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a B6 with the leather sports seats. I think the S-line seats may be different. I also found that the leather sports seats on my A3 1.8T were far more comfy than the recaros on the S3 that replaced it. I suppose everyone has their own tastes - i obviously dont get on too well with Recaros or the like.

But as someone commented earlier; it's really poor that the seats dont have at least a manual lumbar adjustment bearing in mind that these are 'premium' cars that we're talking about.

I took the Cinquecento for a spin last night - now there is an example of a BAD set of seats!!!! i took a corner with a little 'zest' and nearly ended up on my sons lap smile.gif

Audi, you're forgiven 169144-ok.gif