[Audi A3/S3] A3 170-140 tdi can u tell the difference ?????

bully99

No not at all! i got the 140bhp tdi in june this year not realising the 170 was due out then chipped mine to 185 bhp now it leaves it standing! Not sure if you will be able to chip the 170 as it has already been remapped to 170 and it is at the end of the day the same engine as the 140 so you will probably not see much more than 185 bhp.

Its funny that 140 owners think there isn't much difference, but 170 owners swear they are poles apart. I have owned both (currently have a 170) and echo the points made by aliAUDI.

The 170 does feel substantially quicker and I have only done 900 odd miles. Will go even quicker when properly loosened up.

There is alot of differance between the 140 and 170 just the same as when i remapped mine it didnt feel like the same car, my mate has the 170 and i have driven both mine feels so much smother and powerful now and just has the edge over the 170 in terms of speed. No difference to engine sound!

Also, I must admit I was withour DSG on the 140. That really makes a big difference as you are out of 1st and 2nd in a flash.

On an aside, when really flooring my car there is a "step" when you really bury the accelerator. Almost like you are pushing a button behind the pedal? It seems to put you into "S" mode. Anyone else found this?

[ QUOTE ]

Only the injecters

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but "only" ?

The injectors make all the difference to the character of the 170. It's willingness to rev and pull right round to 4500rpm and beyond makes all the difference and it feels so more lively than the 140.

I currently have a 140 but as I was speccing a replacement I made a point of test driving the 170. TBH I didn't expect the extra 30bhp to make that much difference but I was amazed how different the character of the engine was.

As for telling the difference, I still have my suspicions about the engine cover. Every 140 I've seen has a silver one but the 170 I drove had a black one and I've heard two or three others with 170 say theirs is black. Someone commented that they had a black one as a replacement on their 140 so it could just be that they're phasing out the silver in favour of black or it could be that black is intended for the 170 and that was an isolated case of the wrong one being used.

Still, the only outward sign is the exhausts.

On the subject of identification, when my car arrives in December I need to be able to check all the specified options are present quickly as it's a lease car and will be delivered to the office so I need to raise any issues before the delivery guy leaves. To that end I'll do a checklist with each option listed together with the easiest thing to look for to check the option is there. Most of them are easy but one that has me stumped are the mirrors. I've specced dimming ones but how do I tell that they're dimming rather than standard? What do I look for?

[ QUOTE ]

That Star Chip site mentions the Leon being a PD - the 170 in the A3 is a common rail unit, not PD. I don't think anyone does remaps for them...yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst I agree that the Audi UK site indicates that the 170 is a common rail unit, the Audi Germany site confirms that it is in fact a PD diesel. coffee.gif

If I can be arsed, I'll post a link in a wee while. 1.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Only the injecters

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but "only" ?

The injectors make all the difference to the character of the 170. It's willingness to rev and pull right round to 4500rpm and beyond makes all the difference and it feels so more lively than the 140.

I currently have a 140 but as I was speccing a replacement I made a point of test driving the 170. TBH I didn't expect the extra 30bhp to make that much difference but I was amazed how different the character of the engine was.

As for telling the difference, I still have my suspicions about the engine cover. Every 140 I've seen has a silver one but the 170 I drove had a black one and I've heard two or three others with 170 say theirs is black. Someone commented that they had a black one as a replacement on their 140 so it could just be that they're phasing out the silver in favour of black or it could be that black is intended for the 170 and that was an isolated case of the wrong one being used.

Still, the only outward sign is the exhausts.

On the subject of identification, when my car arrives in December I need to be able to check all the specified options are present quickly as it's a lease car and will be delivered to the office so I need to raise any issues before the delivery guy leaves. To that end I'll do a checklist with each option listed together with the easiest thing to look for to check the option is there. Most of them are easy but one that has me stumped are the mirrors. I've specced dimming ones but how do I tell that they're dimming rather than standard? What do I look for?

[/ QUOTE ]

The wing mirrors have a black rim round the outside of the actual glass - around 0.75cms thick.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

That Star Chip site mentions the Leon being a PD - the 170 in the A3 is a common rail unit, not PD. I don't think anyone does remaps for them...yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst I agree that the Audi UK site indicates that the 170 is a common rail unit, the Audi Germany site confirms that it is in fact a PD diesel. coffee.gif

If I can be arsed, I'll post a link in a wee while. 1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup I believe the 2.0TDI will be the last PD unit that Audi produce. All new development will be common rail......

[quoteThe wing mirrors have a black rim round the outside of the actual glass - around 0.75cms thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, ta for that.

Is this rim the actual light sensor then? I don't know how the mirrors work exactly, whether they have their own sensors on each side or whether they just use the light sensor built into the rear view mirror.