Time to personalise my S4

S4teve

Hi everyone - newbie to this forum. Previously owned a TTC (225) but now have Brilliant Red S4 Cabriolet - what a car grin.gif

The calipers look in poor shape and need a little TLC - I thought some Red Caliper Paint with S4 Logo's may cheer it up.

Also I have nearly new Spacers (10mm & 15mm) that I previously used on my TT. I've checked to see if they will fit but thought I'd check out weather anybody has fitted Spacers to an A4 / S4.

What do people think? Any photo's?

Any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated

post-15626-137914378988_thumb.jpg

Lovely car S4teve! Great colour (I would say that!). I too have been thinking about caliper painting (ever since seeing RottenBend's at AmD). Not really sure which colour to go though. I guess I could go the standard Red, but I worry that if it is not exactly the same shade as the car it might look a bit odd....

Any thoughts anyone?

Also on the subject of extras to consider, have you looked at a nice fat Milltek exhaust? FIREdevil.gif

Not sure what is the best with red - that's a difficult one Sam.

I thought about red for a while before opting for Noggy Blue (OK Hammerite blue but it's close enough wink.gif)

Red is the same as the car so you won't get a contrast if that's important to you.

Black may not be that noticable but has a geniune RS4 feel.

What about yellow (a bit of Porsche ceramic)?

Audi ceramic is grey of course grin.gif

One thing I would suggest is that if anyhone wants to paint their calipers, put aside plenty of time and get a hydraulic trolley jack and some decent axle stands. 169144-ok.gif

Black with the red S4 Sam I reckon. J_C was pondering what colour for his at ADI at the weekend - think the consensus was probably red with silver.

No idea about axle stands - UBM painted his didn't he and did a good job? He'd know potential pitfalls! 169144-ok.gif

I really need to clean mine properly. wink.gif

Always use axle stands. Always. A trolley jack (or god forbid the standard jack) can give way without warning. It does happen, and the results are obviously not good to anyone squeezed underneath.

So, jack one side up on the chassis rails, place an axle stand under the jacking point. Then jack the other side up the same way. You can leave the trolley jack in place to back up one of the axle stands for good measure.

Can't go wrong like that! Just make sure you check where to properly jack and support the vehicle beforehand.... 169144-ok.gif

Halfords do trolley jacks and stands for very reasonable money. They are well worth the investment and they make taking the wheels on and off much easier to clean them or change them.

If you haven't got axle stands simply using the standard jack does work, just wedge the wheel you have taken off flat on its rim next to it and lower the car until it nearly touches, Should provide a secure enough position unless that is your driveway is on a hill.

Using Hammerite is good enough, mine have been done for over a year and the colour is still there. As for colour itself, howabout yellow? IMO it would look good.

Quite a while smirk.gif. I did it over two weekends but you can do it in one day if you give yourself the time.

First weekend, I prepared the calipers (cleaned with virosol, wire brushed using a battery powered drill, cleaned again) and applied the red oxide primer.

Second weekend I painted the Hammerite (two coats in my case) and applied the decals.

Don't underestimate the time it takes because you need plenty of drying time between coats (you may get away with one with black on top of the red primer).

Because of other committments, I ended up rushing a bit and wished I'd given myself more time. The end result was good but it could always be better. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

P_G. Did you use red oxide primer before applying the colour? Personally, I did but I'm wondering if it's strictly necessary. Certainly adds significantly to the time it takes to do. The preparing of the caliper surface is probably as important.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cleaned mine with a wire brush and Wonder Wheels. After that let them dry and applied two coats of Hammerite as it did not mention primer was required.

It has worked generally bar a couple of 'chip's where I have damaged it by taking the wheel off, bit otherwise everything is OK.

Been wondering about doing this myself, got the red caliper paint and some Audi 4 rings decals. Just umming and ahhing as I don't want it to look too "chav." The general consensus on here seems ok, so i will have a bash this weekend if the weather holds and provide some pics.

Disco