VW have a fix for speedo overreading

petsy

quote from the thread Petsy posted :

[ QUOTE ]

Can be done by VAG COM. Small change in the instrumentation module, did it myself yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

suggests that a bit of VAG-COM investigation might solve this, although helpfully the person who posted this doesn't explain how they did it smashfreakB.gif

....Nice post, petsy! 169144-ok.gif

As you know, my VW speedo reads 100 when GPS reads 87 and that's well over the +10% inaccuracy. I shall be keeping an eye on this thread for more info and will check with my VW dealer, whom I have excellent relationships with, and report anything I find out too.

[shark_90 - Us GTIers are STILL waiting for AmD RR plots in digital format! Not impressed!]

[ QUOTE ]

quote from the thread Petsy posted :

[ QUOTE ]

Can be done by VAG COM. Small change in the instrumentation module, did it myself yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

suggests that a bit of VAG-COM investigation might solve this, although helpfully the person who posted this doesn't explain how they did it

[/ QUOTE ]

here's what needs to be done, http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2886728

the question is, will it work for UK cars...

[ QUOTE ]

if the speedo is out 10% then surely the mileage is out 10%. ie. 20000 miles equates to 2000 miles.... EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no mathmatician but wouldn't it equate to 18k miles, not 2k? Besides which, the milometer and the speedometer use different sensors to do their job (for some reason). The mileometer uses the more reliable digital speedometer, which can be seen via the climate control display if you know the right codes...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

if the speedo is out 10% then surely the mileage is out 10%. ie. 20000 miles equates to 2000 miles.... EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no mathmatician but wouldn't it equate to 18k miles, not 2k? Besides which, the milometer and the speedometer use different sensors to do their job (for some reason). The mileometer uses the more reliable digital speedometer, which can be seen via the climate control display if you know the right codes...

[/ QUOTE ]

2000 miles less, not in total!!!!!!!!! my maths is not that bad. smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can the digital speedo be displayed for 'normal use' ? just would be very handy to have kms/h for euro hops grin.gif

The speedo in the Golf is actually electronic so there should be no reason why it shouldn't be accurate.

If you connect up VAG-COM you can send it all the way round to 180mph in one of the tests.

I was going to have a go at changing the setting but you need to log into the engine module as it appears to be locked. Does anyone know the login code?

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, Robin - easy change on RA to km/h; it's in the 'Display' menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Thanks for that 169144-ok.gif. I couldn't see any info in the RA User Guide. I'm not very happy with RA at the moment - Laser Alert useless, even if after the actual zap - I would have pulled in of my own accord at the next layby without needing to be chased.

Do you have a separate Laser Sensor*, Robin? I have mine mounted just below the front number plate.

Fired off recently on the A449 returning from Afan - Camera van 500m ahead in layby. 0900 Sunday am FFS!

On the brake immediately. (nothing behind)

I'd set the cruise at 75 (RA speed- that's about 85 on the VW speedo). Most impressed.

I think they usually take 3 pics and disregard the first?

* I think these are due to be outlawed soon?

Just returned from Navajo Country (Kayenta, AZ - thought of you!)

Nope, not any seperate laser sensor on board.

Navajo Country! 169144-ok.gif The Dineh is the name traditionals give themselves. I got friends on Second Mesa in Hopiland. Major Pow Wow goes on at Window Rock every Summer. The first Pow Wow I ever went to over the pond was in Arizona. Your post has taken my mind over there now!

• 2 weeks later...

Bugger. So its true.

I was going to post a new thread on this, but did a search - seems I'm not the only one with an optimistic speedo. Ours is a brand new car - 30mph seems pretty right, 60/70 it is definitely over reading.

I'm taking the TomTom out next time to check it. Why does it overread so much? My TVR is spot on up to 160mph (as fast as I've driven it). Bloomin cheap German engineering smile.gif