Focus 1.6 TDCI, 1.8TDCI or 2.0 TDCI ????

Hudson

Ok guys which of the above used models would you opt for ?? It will be the new shape (54/55 plate) and i have ready somewhere that the obvious choice (ie 2.0ltr) is actually an old design and that the 1.6TDCI is the best bet that can be tuned to get as much as the 2.0 ltr ??? Any comments.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm getting one of these for work after Christmas and am having trouble making the same decision. Did you find out anything further?

Looking at the spec in the brochure there seems to be a few differences. The 1.6 has the DPF (diesel particulate filtration) system whilst the 1.8 does not and the 1.6 has an alloy cylinder head with the 1.8's being cast iron. The 1.8 is 8 valve against the 16 valves of the 1.6. Fuel consumption wise the 1.6 is a tiny bit better and power is more or less the same. The 1.8 has more torque - 300Nm against 260.

Anyone got a view on whether one of these is the better engine?

• 1 month later...

I was under the impression that the 2.0 and the 1.8 are of a similar age.

if you need/want the extra power, then you may as well go for the 2.0 as it also has the 6 spd box; if not, then go for the more modern unit in the 1.6.

the 2.0 isn't a bad engine in itself; I have one in my co. mondeo while my mum has the 1.6 unit in her Focus and it's doing fine so far.

• 4 weeks later...

The 1.6TDCi (90ps or 109ps) and the 2.0TDCi (134ps) were available from launch. The 1.8TDCi (113ps) was introduced as cover for the 1.6TDCi because there was a world shortage of the material required to make the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), which was needed at the time to make the 1.6TDCi engine Euro IV compliant.

The 1.6TDCi is probably the sweetest engine of the three (co-developed with Peugeot) and provides near identical performance to the 1.8TDCi, but with better fuel economy (approx 59mpg claimed vs. approx 54mpg claimed)...bit of a no brainer really. I find the (ageing) 1.8TDCi loud and harsh.

The 2.0TDCi understandably gives far superior performance, mated to a 6-speed gearbox, with a claimed approx 50mpg.

If I was spending my own money...1.6TDCi every time. Someone elses money......might be tempted by the 2.0TDCi if it was on the wish-list).

• 2 weeks later...