Audi S8 - Oh Yeah Baby...

Sven

As I pull up I notice it directly, this impressive black, low creature, sitting there waiting for me, sparkling in the sunlight. Was it that low last time I was here? Must be, but it appears to be lower than I remember. Lookin gooood! So good I didn’t even notice any of the other cars on the lot. You could offer me any amount of money, but I don’t remember one. Just the S8. MY S8!

After some obligatory paperwork and shifting a few items from car to car (and inserting some CDs in the changer) we get in, enjoy the rich interior, spend some time to adjust a dazzling array of settings on seats, steering wheel and mirrors, and turn the key. The V8 power is imminent, yet subtle – as long as you leave the right pedal alone that is. The doors close with a whoosh/thud, obvious quality all around. From the lush carpet to the luxurious Alcantara headlining, it’s a feast to the senses.

As we drive off a pleasant voice asks me politely to turn left. The Navi Plus DX works like a charm. If you try to get lost (ignore directions) the lady asks you to “turn around in X metres PLEASE” (I do like a polite car). If you ignore that again, it adapts to your chosen route and comes up with new directions. Impressive!

Anyway, at the highway traffic clears a bit, Bowie appropriately sings “putting out fire with gasoline” through the impeccable Bose Sound System (WOW!), and I press the pleasure pedal down a bit…. Whoosh! Shivers down the old spine. Yippee! The girl looks at the speedo and says something like “you’re allowed HALF that speed here, you’re doing 200”. Yeah, whatever… I’m having fun, and heaps of it. The S8 is not impressed, and acts just as relaxed and secure as it does at a 100. Obviously a “gimme more” kinda car. I’ll have to watch that meter, and a radar-detector might come in handy. Watching the speedometer is the only way to tell how fast you’re going, besides the trees along the road rapidly turning into a blur. But who’s looking at trees and stuff at a time like this…

I slow down a bit to give the girl (the one sitting next to me that is) a rest. A nice time to show her some of the goodies. At the push of a button the sunscreen goes op, she likes that a lot, as well as the individual climate control (she’s always chilly, I like a cool temperature), and the tilt/slide solar roof. There’s hardly a sound coming from that roof when tilted, quite contrary to the one on the Jag XJR, which was deafening at any speed. Me folding the mirrors at 140 took the cake though, she really got a buzz out of that, and the words “James Bond” were uttered. “Cool if you have to pass through a narrow space without reducing speed” she said with a smile from ear to ear. (Sure, but first learn to parallel park without kerbing the wheels would ya love? wink.gif). The A6 driver behind me at the time gave me a big thumbs-up when he pulled up next to me at the lights. cool.gif

Okay, some more toys. A push to the right at the stick and automatic becomes Tiptronic; gears now change by switches at the wheel or at the stick. Now the beast comes out, rev it up a bit and the whooshes become snarls. This is music to the car-loving ears and even worth turning off the magnificent Bose system for a while. Whoop-tee-do, this baby becomes what you want it to be at the push of a knob. Relaxed and luxurious cruising? No prob. (Very) Fast luxurious cruising? @ your service! You want me to be a sports car? I am that too! And all that without compromising.

The ride is pleasantly firm, without becoming the least bit harsh. The 245/45 Dunlop SP9000 does a good job at the 18” Avus wheels thus far (not having tested them under more extreme circumstances or wet weather). I am confident though, since I read loads of reviews praising the wet weather handling of these tires.

Comfort and handling is superb. The car being rather low, I was a little weary about the numerous sleeping-policemen– in various degrees of veracity – (which were a joke in the Chevy truck) but no problem here either. Absolutely no rattles, clinks, or any major discomfort. Even at above average speed the S8 takes them on with ease. Impressed again.

Later that evening I left the girl at home, and took a friend for a drive. Pushed it up to 240, which seemed to happen almost instantaneous, and again the S8 was hardly impressed. My mate was very much so. Unfortunately I couldn’t push it further, given the other traffic present and the length of this stretch of road of which I was reasonably sure there were no cameras, because I’m curious if there still is a limiter present in this car.

Curves… What can I tell you? The Quattro boys will know already, but I still have to get used to this baby, so I didn’t overdo it (if that’s possible within the laws of physics). Nevertheless I took some highway curves a bit faster as I usually do, to see what’d happen. Nothing! Except from me doing “aha! Ohhh.. grin.gif” that is. Very much an “is that all” sorta experience. Or an “I can do that a lot faster next time” kinda experience if you will.

Finally I drove home (I had to at some point), parked her very carefully along the kerb, went up and gazed at her lovely ass for a while from the balcony. I’m in loooove! grin.gif

heart.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

Am I enjoying it? confused.gif Well...

FECK YEAH! grin.gif It's such a cool car, I'm enjoying it every second. Even just looking at it brings a smile to my face, driving it is a sensation. It handles like a charm, and everything goes with an astonishing ease. Like accelerating, just a slight downward movement of the right foot is sufficient to minimize the cars in the rear-view-mirror. No need to kick down at all. Well, unless you really want to of course. In that case the elegant superiority becomes brute force.

Good thing is my girlfriend doesn't complain anymore when I'm doing 180, whereas she used to start muttering at about 140. The car feels safe at any speed, and you never get the feeling you're going too fast. (Like a Mercedes can do at high speed).

Yesterday evening I went up north to pick up my Magnat speakers (4 home), and that gave me an opportunity to toy around a bit. Not that I met anything on the road that came close, but still, the sheer pleasure of driving is more than enough. The Audio lab guy was very impressed with the car (and the fact the big Magnat speakers went in the boot with plenty of room to spare) . Last time he enjoyed the big Chevy 4x4, but now he reacted "wow, you've got an even nicer car this time". Understatement is obviously better understood as I expected...

The dash is amazing, especially at night, when everything - and I do mean everything - is backlit in red. The only right colour, as any skipper or pilot could tell you. Even the door-handles and all storage areas are lit (even inside the armrests). The ambient lights from the rear-view lighting the console finish it off perfectly and accentuate the wood and aluminium trim ever so delicately, without overdoing it the least bit.

The comfort remote is a blast, you can leave every window and the roof open, to close it all with one push of the remote/key. This is another brilliant feature: one folding (!) key with built in remote. All you have to carry is a lighter sized object, without keys ripping up your pocket lining and all those dangly sh*t you usually have to carry around.

One thing that strikes me as odd is the fact the lights are not turning on/off with a light cell, as I was used to on the Chevy. Well, I'll adapt to that soon enough, and to be honest, it was sometimes annoying too you couldn't turn the lights off even if you wanted to.

The shape of the car is something you can only appreciate fully when you see it in the flesh, and walk around it. Yesterday evening I walked up to it from behind, and it struck me again what a great ass this car has. The whole shape says 'power', not in a blatant way, but it's definitely there to see for the ones who can appreciate it.

To be honest, the Jag XJR now looks rather skinny to me, whereas I loved that car's looks before I got acquainted with the S8. A lady friend said it straight away like this "The Jag is a feminine car, the Audi a masculine one".

Okay, I'll stop ranting now, as I have other things to do (getting behind the wheel is one of 'em). Hope not to have bored you guys too much... wink.gif

Oh, pics are definitely coming, when I'm back from Prague. cool.gif

Sounds like you're having a blast hooning around in the S beast.....I'm sure if I see an S8 on the road I'll know it was you, as I have only seen one german one since being here. Saw an RS6 Avant in PC Hofstraat (Spelling?) at the weekend heart.gifheart.gif it kind of drew me away from the Porsches, Lambs and AMG Mercs.....I love the RS6 so understated as with the S8.

Yeah, Me too... opted for the S8 coz I really like the V8 and for the lady I need a Tiptronic/Auto.

You do know where to shop by the way... notworthy.gif As far as the name; It's close but no cigar.. grin.gif It's PC Hooft-straat.

Hooft, Pieter Corneliszoon (Amsterdam 15 march 1581 - 's-Gravenhage 21 may 1647), Dutch poet, playwriter and historian.

(Named after a famous and very expensive shopping street) grin.gif

blauw_zwaailicht.gif Police...

Funny thing just happened. Since we're leaving tomorrow I decided to clean the inside of the car a bit, although its getting dark. As I'm doing this a neigbor stopped by to chat, and while we're talking a police car passes by, and again, and again. I prentend not to notice, but joke to the neigbor "I'm happy they keep a close watch, wish they did that more often". Meanwhile they turn yet again and finally stop behing me. As they get out, one of them asks "which one of you is mr. *****?" I reply "that'll be me" and walk towards him. Just as I think 'here's the bit where they ask for the papers, which are in the house', he say's "well, then you just bought a hell of a nice car! What is it, about 400hp?". "365 to be exact" I reply. "Wow, what a great car, mind if I have a look? You don't see them very often..." Of course I didn't mind, so he is all over the car admiring it. Turns out he's an Audi enthusiast himself, and owns a TT. He starts about the fast cornering of the TT, and asks me about the power and speed of the S8. Somewhat sheepish - he is still a cop after all - I reply "Oh. it's pretty quick, but tomorrow I'm going to Germany to give it a try". He smiles and wishes me a lot of fun, and warns me to be careful they don't catch me speeding, even in Germany.

A pleasant encounter with the police for a change, I just wish all cops were like that... cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Um, how did he know your name?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably did a name check on the car.

Chirs you up for a meet in Essen, Germany for an aftermarket motor show on wither the 29th Nov or 6th Dec?? Check out the meets forum (You as well Sven), it looks like we'll make a weekend of it, as our European christmas meet.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Um, how did he know your name?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably did a name check on the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if they punch in the license nr. on the onboard computer they can see virtually anything on you and the car.

Only usually they don't tell you your name, but ask for it to see if you tell the truth.

----------

I'm interested in a meet! cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Me folding the mirrors at 140 took the cake though, she really got a buzz out of that, and the words "James Bond" were uttered. "Cool if you have to pass through a narrow space without reducing speed" she said with a smile from ear to ear. (Sure, but first learn to parallel park without kerbing the wheels would ya love? wink.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Any pics of the S8 yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not yet.. frown.gif I figuered I'd do that in Prague, but as you can read here I didn't get to drive it much while I was there (or take pic's for that matter).

Since I'm back it's just storming and pooring down, so I'll wait till the weather clears up a bit... pengy.gif