Followers 0
petsy

Golf GTI Edition 30 details finally confirmed

161 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

So who's thinking of changing then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not changing but just ordered one for a chum. Red, 5-door. 169144-ok.gif

I would consider trying to change my order (Arrives Jan 07) but I really dislike those wheels. So I think I will stick with what I'm getting and try and stick the extra 30 horses in myself wink.gif

I'm thinking about changing, but what on my mind is that isn't the current MK5 getting a facelift soon? i wonder would that affect the GTI Edition 30??

I think 18" monza II's are much better looking, and i don't like the additional colour coding - it just makes the car look 'heavy'.

So, funny gear nob, 30bhp and a plaque.. hmmm.. wont' be changing my order thank you.

....I agree with you, robe 169144-ok.gif. 30 neddies is easy to change aftermarket.

The 'pull' factor of a special edition is always a bit more than the extra kit you get. If having a limited edition special is something that rocks your boat, then you'll be interested. If you'd rather just spec what you want and go aftermarket for performance then the Edition 30 isn't worth it.

I paid silly money for a limited edition Impreza, but it was what I wanted at the time, and was the only UK version available with the authentic 'rally blue' paint. The extras really weren't worth the extra 5 grand though! tongue.gif

given the insurance will be higher for the extra 'nickable' bits, i'd rather have the std car, with some discreet extra power.

....Insurance might not necessarily be higher - It'll be based on the purchase price of the car model. All my extras (Suspension, Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, SatNav/Audio, Bigger Brakes) carry no extra premiums and are listed on my policy.

insurance companies will load the car becuase of the unique wheels etc, the price is part of it, the repair costs and complexity another, and then the vehicles accident/claim history, oh forgot to say also becuase vw declared extra 30bhp. Insurance companies always look for an extra way to make money

The MKIV went up one insurance group when the anni was released so I would say group 18 for this one. 123576-assfeck.gif

Well I wont be chopping in mine for one. I like the power increase and new Golf ball knob but that's where it ends for me. Can you request (at cost of course) that VW remap your car to that spec? Alternatively, will tuning companies such as AMD etc remap to the VW developed Anniversary output (ie do or indeed can they acquire the VW version as opposed to their own remap version). Any thoughts folks? grin.gif

It looks OK but those aren't GTI wheels! I like my Monza II's too much to trade them in for 30HP.

On the subject of the 30 extra horse power, there was some talk a while back that engines with a BWA code were coming with around an additional 20HP anyway. Was this just a rumour or was it substantiated by anyone?...

[ QUOTE ]

there was some talk a while back that engines with a BWA code were coming with around an additional 20HP anyway. Was this just a rumour or was it substantiated by anyone?...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking just the same...I don't think anyone could substantiate it. Can't remember if anyone on the rolling road tests recently had that engine code to prove / disprove this thought. Anyone??

[ QUOTE ]

So who's thinking of changing then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! I much prefer the my standard GTI!

Although as mentioned above I'll take the extra 30 horses! ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well I wont be chopping in mine for one. I like the power increase and new Golf ball knob but that's where it ends for me. Can you request (at cost of course) that VW remap your car to that spec? Alternatively, will tuning companies such as AMD etc remap to the VW developed Anniversary output (ie do or indeed can they acquire the VW version as opposed to their own remap version). Any thoughts folks? grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I think the answer will be to go for an individual custom re-map. I can't see VW making the ECU upgrade generally available because it would devalue what the Anni offers. 230 bhp is a very practical and driveable power for the Mk5 GTI for fast road use imo.

I'm staying with mine, like the idea of the seats with the half leather though, that's the way they should have been on the original IMHO.

200BHP is plenty enough for me, going through front tyres every 10000 miles. FIREdevil.gif.

But the way the GTI came out with the black side skirts and the Monza II's just gives it an identity.

Colour coding it and changing the wheels just means it looks like any other golf which has been tarted up a bit.

I think the wheels are the big thing that identifies the GTI. I saw a 2.0 TDI the other day with Monza II's and thought it was a GTI tongue.gif

Agreed, after much deliberation I've decided against colour coding for the same reasons. The black gives the GTI identity - a bit like the black on old Fiesta XR2'S & XR3i's etc..nice & retro. 169144-ok.gif

Even I, with various performance mods, intend to keep the side and front elements black. I love those OEM Monza BBS wheels and they are very much part of the Mk5 GTI identity.

That pink anni is a bit of a giveaway....Now everyone knows the truth why I'm going to VW Wolfsburg sekret.gif.

Considering the OTR price of the standard GTI I dont think it is an unwise buy @ 22k, however with options I am not so sure. 230bhp within warranty will turn people on I am sure.

But for me? naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sticking with me 18k new import wink.gif and will miltek and revo it when my 2 years warranty is up!

....Tip from Dr Love, oxfordlad > Do any hardware mods before the re-map. Revo is a good one according to all reports.

Will do me old pal smile.gif

Got a fair bit of a wait, but that is not such a bad thing with the GTI stock power is it ;-)

Link to VW German Weblink anyone want to translate ??? either way nice pic's 169144-ok.gif

My thought's

Likes: Golfball gearstick notworthy.gif why doesn't this come as standard, part leather Interlargos seats & extra power , though it seems it is only a watered down stage 1/2 remap which I would assume being the cynical soul I am, it is restricted to ensure it does not appear to eclipse the R32 power output.

Dislike's: Body coloured skirts ??? just doesn't look right on a Gti. A major part of the Gti's appeal to me at least is the heritage and history !!! The contrasting side sills/spoilers really make the Gti a little bit different to the run of the mill big wheeled/colour coded chav mobiles that most people associate with car's genericaly titled "hot hatches".

I'm sure it's a great car all the same, just not my personal cup of tea ( even in Pink)

jump.gif