Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
petsy

Golf GTI Edition 30 details finally confirmed

161 posts in this topic

I'd love the horses but have to say that she already struggles getting the power down without spinning crazy.gif

I have one reservation about the GTI30 equipped with 30 more pulling ponies than standard spec.......

What sort of power delivery is it going to give?

The better halfs gti really impressed me with its "punch" through the range, does'nt feel like a 4poturbo at all...

Just wondering if some of this mid range will be sacrificed to gain the 30 extra?

I do feel that 4 pots and turbos have always sacrificed mid range for overall power gains,and the more power you try and squeeze out, the more the mid range seems to suffer, the new S3 being a case in point, and this was one of the big advantages of the fsi technology allied with the turbo in the gti..

just my 2p worth.............oh yes, confession time,have ordered one, and totally agree that shadow blue would have been the DB's for the car, so know it looks like DB as I dont think she fancies candy white! ROLLEY~14.GIF

I know what you mean about wheelspin, and you do have to be careful with your throttle application. According to AMD my old GTI was putting out approx 240-245 BHP, and putting it down could sometimes be a problem - ESP light doing overtime. However once you had learnt how to drive it , it was very fast.

Fagash32 - ref your comment about torque accross the range, mine was just like standard but better, more torque everywhere, in fact mine was putting out 259ft lb. I just loved it when it was re-mapped, I think I posted somewhere about how much better it made an already outstanding car!!!

beerchug.gif

Cheers OliH 169144-ok.gif

That has cheered me up no end..........had visions of buying a "Civic Type R" all top end version of a gti, which would not be my kind of car at all, you cant beat that mid range "Grunt".......

What I am like? This is the "her indoors" car, things like this are none of my business, I mean it is not like I am actually going to drive the thing is it? SPericani2.gifwell is it? well have to have a little drive wont I? Just for comparison purposes with the "R" znaika.gif

The vw.co.uk page is SHOCKING>>>> The wheel shot looks like something from ebay... There is even a leaf on the ground and the main image is fake, has to be!

Marketing are not up to scratch on this one, remember the amount of marketing for the main GTI? tiny budget methinks!

Hi fagash 169144-ok.gif.

Oli is right - Whatever the neddy power, you have to get the feel of the throttle and it's easily learnt how to progressively feed the throttle to minimise wheelspin. Just in passing I'll say that my tendency to wheelspin is def slightly reduced since I had the suspension mods. You just have to remember that you're driving a FWD and not a .:R32.

Mid-range grunt and acceleration from say 70 - 110 is excellent and quite unexpected and that's on a standard (not re-mapped) engine.

so i recon i have worked out where the extra money has been spent

• 18" 'Pescara' alloy wheels £445

• Darkened rear light clusters £50

• Body coloured lower spoilers £450

• Heated seats £155

• Seats with leather side bolsters £430

• steering wheel with red stitching £20

• Golf-ball gear knob £20

• 27bhp £450

• Badge bearing the "Edition 30" logo £20

• grand total of £2040 oc30_0004.jpg

This must be a joke? £23,300 for a DSG version, is over £5K more than a standard imported car - and all you get is a few tacky cosmetic add-ons and 30bhp, which you could remap yourself for less that £400.

[ QUOTE ]

This must be a joke? £23,300 for a DSG version, is over £5K more than a standard imported car - and all you get is a few tacky cosmetic add-ons and 30bhp, which you could remap yourself for less that £400.

[/ QUOTE ]

its £2040 more than a gti.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can hardly compare it with an import price

I don't see the 30bhp extra as a problem myself or going to be a problem, our SEAT Leon Cupra R had 225 25 more than the GTI and was no better or worse for traction, Im also sure VW have done some programing of the ecu to sort power delivery in lower gears too. Afterall the new SEAT Leon cupra will get a 240 version. If you look at peak tourque location etc and compare to the standard car i can see little to no difference been in power delivery, unlike 60bhp different S3.

I love all the coments about not worth it over standard car etc etc coments and just aftermarket bodge chip it to same etc makes me laff. I have heard this so many times on the net when different moedels come out i just find it funny now.

Theres a point to special editions and limited numbers maybe sort after in years etc that others just don't seem to get.

As far as comparing it to an import, thats silly imo unless you compare it to an import ED30, apples to apples please lol.

ANyone want to play with PHOTOSHOP and colour code a reflex silver 5door and stick those wheels on it for me grin.gif

please can everyone stop saying 30bhp its annoying me, its 30ps tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

please can everyone stop saying 30bhp its annoying me, its 30ps tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Ok 29.6BHP yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As far as comparing it to an import, thats silly imo unless you compare it to an import ED30, apples to apples please lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that's why I'm getting a quote from Select as we speak, although it's not clear what the availability will be.

Mike.

I'm not sure if you'll have any joy using select as this is a limited edition model with only a certain number being allocated to RHD for the UK.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you'll have any joy using select as this is a limited edition model with only a certain number being allocated to RHD for the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're almost certainly right as this is what I thought too, but no harm in seeing whether the european dealer can get hold of any.

Mike.

I don't believe Xenon's were on the options list when i bought mine new.

I bought the Anni because at the time it was special & very different to the GTi's in production.

The differences were an upgrade in power (extra 30 horses), a new 6sp box, 18" BBS wheels, Bodykit, improved suspension, upgraded brakes, chrome exhaust (unless diesel) & GTi badged interior trim... and it stood out in the crowd to an otherwise quite dull std GTi imo.

For me, if i could order a GTi now i wouldn't go for the new Anni. My point is that i think the current GTi is already good enough & VW are clutching at straws... not quite special enough

Just my opinion of course 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I bought the Anni because at the time it was special & very different to the GTi's in production.

The differences were an upgrade in power (extra 30 horses), a new 6sp box, 18" BBS wheels, Bodykit, improved suspension, upgraded brakes, chrome exhaust (unless diesel) & GTi badged interior trim... and it stood out in the crowd to an otherwise quite dull std GTi imo.

For me, if i could order a GTi now i wouldn't go for the new Anni. My point is that i think the current GTi is already good enough & VW are clutching at straws... not quite special enough

[/ QUOTE ]

completely agree dude... i've always maintained that the Mk IV anni should have been the standard GTI anyway.

Much of the anni's good stuff is now standard. If anything the new Anni has gone too far.

Autocar reckon the extra 30hp is good for a second off the 0-60 sprint time... WTF!! somehow i think that's dung.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its £2040 more than a gti.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading my post again...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can hardly compare it with an import price

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did...

But seriously, I have spoken to a few people in the game and it might not be possible to import one, because each countries allocation will be taken by residents.

So, the cheapest Anni you can buy is a UK Dealer one, versus an Import DSG (included DSG as that is technically a different model) and the difference is about, oh, £5K.

I'm not bothered, because I am not interested in one, but my opinion is that they aren't great value for money. I've had my fingers burnt once before with Special Editions, mind you, I bought a Corrado Storm, which I ended up feeling was a dissappointment after 2 years of ownership.

In the good old days, special editions were things like an RS500, or a Supersport - tangible mechanical and engineering differences over the standard car, which made it go better, drive better and feel better.

I just think the Anni 30 falls under that category of modern marketing exploitation. A few grand for a set of naff add ons, but not a new model in any shape or form.

Sorry to be so harsh about it, but that's how I feel.

[ QUOTE ]

completely agree dude... i've always maintained that the Mk IV anni should have been the standard GTI anyway.

Much of the anni's good stuff is now standard. If anything the new Anni has gone too far.

Autocar reckon the extra 30hp is good for a second off the 0-60 sprint time... WTF!! somehow i think that's dung.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have expected it to be about a second quicker to 60 with an extra 30ps. Did they actually drive one?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My exact feelings too, the Anni should have been the std GTi beerchug.gif

Usual VW shambles it appears....

I went to my local dealer at lunchtime and they weren't sure of what can and can't be ordered as optional extras.

They have very limited info and don't even seem to be sure if they can order a demo car yet.

Therefore they can't confirm that my chosen specification is actually "order-able" but here's what I'd like to have:

30th Edition 3 door DSG: £23,625

Xenon Headlights: £725

Highline Computer: £45

RCD500 & Soundpack: £675

Rear Tinted Windows: £165

Metallic Paint: £335

Total: £25,570

Price seems quite steep to me and I don't think I'm being greedy with the options!

Another £1k and I could buy an S3, albeit without DSG......