--New Octavia vRS--

Darkside

Right, I know I seem to change my mind every 5 seconds on what car I like...

But, at the moment a sensible chord is running through me and I am very close to putting a holding deposit down on a new Octavia vRS. I like the look of them, both inside and out with the styling and half leather white/black seats.

Also they obviously have the same 2.0T FSI engine as the Golf 5 Gti, A4 etc. They get great write ups in the press and it won What Car Hot Hatch of the year last year, great handling and brakes. All this for £17,000.

Still have snobbery issues with the badge, but more the fool me, just trying to be a pioneer smile.gif

What do people think? Also, biggest quandry, Black Magic or Race Blue. Whats affecting my choise is that most vRS's are in the lazer blue colour!

Ahhh, dilemmas!

post-5745-137914380268_thumb.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm not overally enamerred by the Golf right now, a TDI vRS Estate would have me down the Skoda showroom in a flash. Blue top of the list but black is also very nice.

Sat in a Black vRS estate back in the summer and it was a very nice place to be, but at £19k with the options I wanted it was above my budget (at the time).

smile.gif

I personally prefer the interior of the Skoda. Sat in a brand new Gold Gti DSG today and it felt quite bland, im also not keen on the seats.

Test driving a White, Manual GTI tomorrow, fully spec'd up, but its pushing £24K

Took a vRS out yesterday with a young salesman about my age, he directed me to some back lanes and told me to really go for it. Well, it handles ok and I can testify that the brakes work well when heading directly towards a white van. Poor lad.

Was impressed with the engine though. Almost felt as torquey as a diesel.

My brother has just bought a black VRS; have to say it that it is fantastic. Fast, stylish and very practical as the boot is massive. The thing that surprised me the most was the cost of the options, identical to my A4, but half the price. SAUER0421.GIF

He also got a very nice deal on the car, well below the 17K you mentioned and it had sat nav. Although the delivery date was put back due to a shortage of some components.

The boot is huge! I do like Audi's. But as mentioned in a previous post I'm not overly enamoured with the B7, its very similar to my current B6!

A similarly specced A4 2.0T S-Line with the dual climatic control, sensors, 18"'s, arm rests etc would be pushing £26k?

I can't justify £10k purely for the badge.

And in my experience, the service that you will get from a Skoda dealer will be second to none.

I was so happy with my Fabia vRS and the service that I recieved, that I'm thinking of getting rid of my troublesome bloddy R32 and going back!

Go for the Octy - it is a lovely car 169144-ok.gif

I've never owned a Skoda but would consider the Octavia vRS.

was told by many different Brighton cabbies that the local dealer/Skoda approved replacement gearboxes as "goodwill" even though some cars were out of warranty and had done 200k+ miles.

VW would do well to look at this from their supposedly "cheaper" sister company.

Octavia vRS estate in black sounds good 169144-ok.gif

Ian, I have driven the 170ps diesel in the guise of a A3 S-Line. It was super rapid and if I was doing more miles then the diesel would be something I would seriously consider!

But they are new out, £18.5K whereas I can pick up a 06 petrol for £15.5.

Also, I'm keen for a petrol car for the first time, and especially the 270bhp Revo seem to think is possible with a Stage 2.

I have read a couple of reviews of the 2.0T saying they recorded sub 7 seconds standard! With the Revo......? Hello.

Ian, I have never driven a fwd car with more than 220bhp so perhaps I'm getting into the realms of the unknown!

But as it stands, the power delivery is very smooth all the way through the rev range. A nice progressive re-map hopefully will keep the car driveable?

I don't do much 0-60 driving, more 40-80 to work, so I'm hoping traction will not be too much of an issue?

Right, test drove the Golf Gti today. Not sure if it had a suspension upgrade but it went round corners awfully well.

I had the pleasure of the hot 20 year old salesgirl who came out in the car telling me it was the most scared she has ever been on a testdrive. I merely informed her I needed to drive the car as I would normally.

Bizarrely the Golf actually felt quicker than the vRS. I know they are the same engine, BHP, but thats just how it felt. Perhaps the Demo Gti had been tweaked slightly.

Anyhow, I still prefer the interior of the vRS, and it has about £1200 of extras being the ex-demo car. All being well I have a friend who may buy my Audi so will be putting the deposit down on a Black vRS on Friday.

Perhaps I'm mad, but I keep telling myself I'm bucking the trend!

[ QUOTE ]

Although, you buy cheaper, hopefully then the knock isn't too bad. Maybe as more people realise the quality then it may positively affect the residuals? I hope!

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely but the drop, compared to Audi, is greater than the price differential when new. The TDi vRS estate really appeals to me, but given the 1st 1yr - 18mth hits they're going to take, I'll not be buying a new one and hopefully this time next year some decent priced 2nd hand models will come on the market 169144-ok.gif