Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vindaloo

Short Radio Antenna from the US

39 posts in this topic

This was mentioned on the GTI Forum last week, so I ordered one & it came this morning. There doesn't seem to be any loss of signal so far.

ShortAntenna2.jpg

ShortAntenna3.jpg

ShortAntenna4.jpg

Have you got a web address for the antenna?

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that is the same as this one...

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/page...tegory=Antennas

3723_x600.jpg

only $19.95

[/ QUOTE ]

Good find but it isn't 'quite' the same, look closely & the shape is different and also the threaded bit. Mine says it has amplification (but how with no other connections, I do not know how) this one does not. The parts4euro one also has free shipping but the ECS one doesn't unless you live in the US.

vindaloo, how long after purchase did it take to arrive?

From his post near the top:

[ QUOTE ]

took about 7 days & was free postage cost $34.99

[/ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif

Does anyone know if Vindaloo's will fit a MK4 R?

If it does then this thread is getting linked to MrsRossG - that would make a great stocking filler at Christmas jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if Vindaloo's will fit a MK4 R?

If it does then this thread is getting linked to MrsRossG - that would make a great stocking filler at Christmas jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have send a definite yes as surely the base of the MKIV & MKV are the same thread (5mm) as most other euro & jap cars are.

Honda seem to use those 'stubbies'. Wonder if it would be cheaper to buy one from a Honda dealer (assuming still 5mm thread)

Honda's aerials are 5mm.

The Civic one is about £20/£23 IIRC. but the aerial base diameter is fractionally larger than the VW base.

I cut mine off at the base of the spiral part and sealed the top with paint. It looks like the US example and works fine, the main aerial is in the back screen. All you need is a junior hacksaw. PS if you see a red UFO, thats my R32.

Just chop the top off at the base of the spiral and seal with paint. It works fine on my R32. If you see a red UFO, thats my car.

[ QUOTE ]

the main aerial is in the back screen

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be surprised as that looks to me like the HRW element - aerials are usually in a side window

[ QUOTE ]

Just chop the top off at the base of the spiral and seal with paint. It works fine on my R32. If you see a red UFO, thats my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you didn't castrate your aerial shocked.gif Me thinks you're extracting the urine crazy.gif

The radio works fine without the Aerial, it is purely cosmetic. I could not find a short one and having not had it on for several months as it got caught in the garage door, thought I would try chopping it. It looks great and the radio works fine. Sorry I do not have a photo.

Got mine today and it fits really well, and i get better reception then with the s2000 one i had on smile.gif