Insurance question.....

Wobby

An owner of a vehicle has no insurance on his car. It is completely road legal, ie MOT'd and i have his permission to drive.

My insurance reduces to 3rd party and i am allowed to drive the vehicle, is this correct??

I think it is confused.gif, but other cars i have driven with the owners permission have been insured by the owner. I cant see that being relevant, just wanting confirmation.

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

No you are not allowed to drive it.

The other car has to be insured in its own right for your third party cover to be valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd that. I've read the small print on a number of policies that I've had and the 3rd Party cover to drive others cars is only valid when the other car is also insured!

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but your from Scotland !! tongue.gif

Have you sold them alloys yet??

This post relates to a car we bought from Livingston 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What... us Scots not trustworthy on the raod, we need special insurance conditions, eh ? wink.gif

Nah, not sold alloys yet, not been trying. Might hang onto them if I get rid of the car next year, all depends on how VW resolve my issues.

So, bought a car from Livi, eh? Did it have all wheels and locks intact ?

smile.gif

You will be selling the car then, i am 100% sure VW wont resolve the issues you have. We are working up in Galashiels next week, sekret.gifdo you want us to fire the car for you! sekret.gif

Our car we bought is a Sierra 2.0 Pinto injection! ECLIPSe.gif Its a beast . All locks intact and pepperpot alloys.

Fancied getting them alloys off you, if i hadn't spent lots of money on stupid things recently!!

Thanks for the replies.

We registered it in my mates name who came up with me fetch it. We paid half each for him to insure it (£87 total for 28 days!!)

Then we both had a drive in it! I think legally

The cars is to be taken to bits for a kit car donor. Would have been nice to have the ability to drive it on the road so that we can make some alterations to the engine and get it running as we want it prior to stipping it down. It has MOT and Tax, just not worth £87 per 28 days insurance.

My mate checked his own fully comp policy and thought he could drive a car with the owners consent without it being insured by the owner.

I dont think he went into the small print though. Should i check my policy or is it definate it has to be insured by the owner?

I think i will have to phone the insurance company on this, i can't find anything on my documents that says the other car must be insured a minimum of 3rd party for my insurance to be valid.

Need it sorting as it may need an MOT before his insurance runs out so that it is still be road legal for my insurance!?

Consider this: You buy a Polo, insure it Fully Comp at a very low rate and then Mothball it. You then buy a Ferrari, or borrow one belonging to someone else (which isn't insured) and drive around in that instead, happily covered 3rd party??? Not gonna happen! The car needs to be insured in it's own right.

Furthermore, having Fully Comp does not necessarily mean you can drive other vehicles, with permission of course, third party. You need to check with your insurer if this cover is provided, many now don't.

If you mean becoming the main user of the Ferrari, then of course your insurer will decline cover in the event of an accident. Being given a one-off test drive in it would be a different matter (assuming your policy explicitly provides 3rd party cover; as you correctly say, not all do). The grey area in between would, I suspect, have to be decided in a court of law.

Either way, the distinction is one made by your insurer regarding your policy because you are the driver and therefore the individual whose liability they have accepted the risk for.

If you do crash the Ferrari all your insurer will pay for is the loss suffered by the unfortunate individual whose property you ran into. Your mate, the owner of the Fezza, will be out of pocket unless he has his or her own insurance. The risk of loss of the Fezza's value wasn't covered by your insurer, so why should they care whether it was a valuable Ferrari or a worthless heap of junk? The heap of junk is just as capable of being used to cause carnage, and therefore liability, for your insurer.

Unless you're named on his policy your mate's insurance (or lack of) doesn't affect your insurer's liability, so why should it be a pre-requisite in order for you to drive your mate's car?

My policy clearly states i can drive another persons vehicles with their permission. It states nothing about the other vehicle having insurance.

I am going to confirm with them how this works. My guess is they will say NO!! smile.gif

I agree with NikW 100%, the value of the car your borrowing can't be an issue as its never covered by the insurance.

I have borrowed a car on a few occasions from a relative, it was taxed nd tested but had the insurance cancelled while the owner was working abroad, and on 3 different occasions,I have been given a HORTI to produce my docs including insurance,they were quite happy to accept my own standard insurance cover from my own car,on a 3rd party basis, even though the borrowed car had no insurance belonging to the owner.

I've had a 'producer' while driving someone else's car on my insurance, and I too only had to produce my own certificate of insurance. I think the problem would come if you had an accident. crazy.gif

If you ring your insurer and ask them how it works (i.e. are you covered to drive an uninsured car on your TP cover), they'll tell you the same as Jon posted above.

[ QUOTE ]

If you ring your insurer and ask them how it works (i.e. are you covered to drive an uninsured car on your TP cover), they'll tell you the same as Jon posted above.

[/ QUOTE ]

You was wrong!! And i was very suprised blush.gif

Spoke to my insurance, she said its a grey area although her colleage said its not worded on my policy and they would pay in court (but would complain along the way!)

She said she'd phone the insurance provider for advice. Just phoned me back to say its ok to drive it and its been noted on my file that they agree to it!! laugh.gif

She said just make sure its fully road legal with regard to Tax MOT etc.

So now we have to get it MOT'd before his 28 days insurance expires smirk.gif