Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simonb

Am i mad? Just booked a test drive...

43 posts in this topic

Am i mad? Just booked a test drive of this...

5845275752895942.JPG

125 bhp, 1.6 VVT, £11k ish OTR.

Not sure if it's my cup of tea, but only one way to find out!!

They only do them in red, black or silver.

Seen the red and black one at the stealers but no silver ones in stock.

Pressumably the yellow in the pic is a Jap-spec car.

I quite like them in Red I have to say. It is a small car that is not girly. Much like the Citroen C2 (IMO)

Great fun. Went out in a friends one yesterday morning. Bright red, twin GT40/Viper stripes and 18" Gallardo style wheels (twas an ex-demo car). Pretty nippy and decent handling. It's not going to set the world on fire but it's a nice little car and it looks better than the Fiesta ST and whatever the equivalent Corsa is.

The stealer told me the viper stripes were an extra £150 but he'd throw them in for me.

I offered him £500 to take them off!!

Not mad at all, vast improvement on the old model and supposed to be a real hoot to drive.

So far so good - some positive comments coming from you lot! Was a bit worried that a small Malaysian car would get a big thumbs down from the TSN masses!

[ QUOTE ]

I think its pretty cute, that should put you off grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's always one! slap.gif

I hear these are great fun, loads better than a Corsa, good old fashioned hot(ish) hatch and cheap too...

[ QUOTE ]

Tiff seems to like it -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NMHXHPSWCik

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, just been watching that Neil.

He doesnt give it too much of a thrashing though - i was hoping for wet Angelesy circuit clips when i found that video!

I told the sales man that i want a proper drive of it - not a 5 minute pootle round town. I've made that mistake before - i.e. 206 GTI 180 - great off the line but not great on the bends! Found that out AFTER taking delivery!!

[ QUOTE ]

I hear these are great fun, loads better than a Corsa, good old fashioned hot(ish) hatch and cheap too...

[/ QUOTE ]

officially £11,499, but i reckon i could stretch him to £11k. It's coming quite for stealers now.

Insurance group 8 too so not too bad.

Nah. It's pretty cool for a small car. We bought a C2 Furio as a small station car but I really wanted to buy the Swift. Problem was it had only been out for a few weeks and there were no ex-demos or deals to be had. The Suzuki dealer tried to steer us towards a Wagon R. You what? Station car, or not, there was no way I'd go anywhere near it. Butt ugly and undoubtedly crap to drive.

I like 'em. There's a roadtest in Car this month (I think it's on one of these). Bit thrashy at speed apparently (low gearing) but good otherwise I seem to recall.

The stealer i spoke to wanted to sell me a Suzuki SX4!

I told him i'd rather lick my own....

sx401.jpg

Interesting comment at the end of the 5th Gear clip about the Fiesta ST, might also be worth a try?

Why would you want to buy a ford fiesta sanitary towel? grin.gif

Because Ford seem to make some of the best front wheel drive chassis's going?

Possibly worth a shot.

Just don't want to go to fast/powerful due to running costs etc. Was saying this to the Suzuki salesman.

There seem to be 5 groupings of hot hatches these days:

Group 1 - Audi S3, Golf R32, Astra VXR, Focus ST (say 220bhp+)

Group 2 - Golf GTI, Civic Type R, Leon FR etc (late 100's bhp - say 180-200 bhp ish)

Group 3 - Ibiza Cupra, Fiesta ST, Polo GTI etc (say 140-180bhp)

Group 4 - 100-140 bhp - i.e. Suzuki Swift Sport territory

Group 5 - Anything with a silly badge, silly set of cheap 15" alloys etc that thinks it's fast (Nissan Micra 160SR, Suzuki Ignis sport (with go faster seat netting) etc)

(list subjective and possibly controversial!! - apologies!!)

I'd like to get to Group 3 but i think my mileage is going to mean high running costs, so think i'm going to have to stick to Group 4 max.

I recently drove my brother 1.6 zetec (auto) 56 plate ford fiesta -which was given as a courtesy car by the insurance company... lovely little ride IMO. Was really well equiped and the 5 speed auto was supprisingly quite good.