Slow to start in the morning

spencerbruntlett

Yep the garage confirmed that the code would stay on there forever until cleared, so had that done this morning.

Also changed the spark plugs to the expensive Iridium type recommended (£130 just for plugs, ouch!) and fitted a new fuel filter to try and start ruling some items out. Unfortunately its made no difference but the previous plugs although only having done 6k miles were already showing significant wear and the fuel filter looked like the original....the petrol ran out of it looking like tea!!!

Yet again another example of Audi Service History not being worth the paper its written on as it says its been changed but clearly it hasnt.

Will get codes checked again in a few days time to see if anything new occurs.

OK, latest update after 2 days with an auto electrician....they have detected a random misfire on Cyl 1 but since swaping coil packs around to see if they were at fault no other faults have occured.

The cold start issue persists and they dont have a clue whats wrong as all other electrics checking out ok.

Anyone got any other tips on where to go from here as I am now seriously scratching my head??? suicide.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the responses guys - I am currently trialing a new hypothosis. My LPG garage said that in rare circumstances the LPG system can effect starting even though the car always starts on petrol!

How? Well as the LPG system controls input gases but not output gases it can provide a slightly lean mix (air leak on a faulty gas injector). The ECU will detect this and alter the fuel trims but obviously the LPG system will not see this change as its independant. When you then start on petrol the fuel trim is a mile out and provides the wrong mix.

My long term fuel trims were out which would support this theory but no other garage picked up on this instead focusing on the mis-fire. And these long term trims are set over 100 miles or more, so just turning the LPG system off at start up would not fix this.

So I am now running on petrol only for a week and will then see how this effects the car. If this does identify the problem with the LPG system then I will have a set of 2nd hand coils for an S8 up for grabs - wont be able to return the new ones frown.gif

Meantime please keep the ideas coming - this has been a long term issue now.

At least if it is the LPG system at fault it will restore some of my faith in the motor itself and I can hold off buying the Corolla.