335i vs 335d

Melchior

[ QUOTE ]

335i for its higher tuning potential and lighter front end, if simply for highway cruising then 335D

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely as the diesel is turbocharged, its far easier (and cheaper) to tune??

Back to the original question, it probably comes more down to driving style. If you like to cane it everywhere, you would be mad not to go for the petrol, as it will undoubtedly make a much nicer noise. But in most real world situations, id guess the 335d to be the faster car.

Thornery motorsport is tuning the 335i now and it is looking good......

http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ubbthreads/showfla...part=3&vc=1

[ QUOTE ]

....I'll add to that. Millteks US distributors were in the UK (Stratmosphere) and seeing as we're the UK distributors we all got together and combined that with a meeting discussing (amongst other things) how we should all develop the 335 and the changes to the new E46 M3 systems we're about to release. TMS are more of a tuning workshop and distributor whereas Strat are a distributor only (but creating their won workshop) so we tested the 335 on the dyno and then a week later ran the car again with the full Milltek.

I'll post the relative charts tomorrow (not on home pc) but theyr'e pretty stunning and we all decided that it would be a perfect car to stage 2 tune (full Milltek and remap) as daft numbers would be attainable.

The guys from the states have never been in a CSL so I drove the 335 then took them out for a couple of runs and the net result we all agreed on - the 335 was a very entertaining complete car package and was tough to really beat as a car. The CSL was more of an experience (granted I was showing off so not really fair) and not really comparable and its for this reason the 335 will sell like hot cakes - for every person that wants the experience there are 10 more who just want a quick car that can cover the ground quickly.

Very impressive motor and the charts (when I post them) will make impressive reading.

bmw335Milltekatflywheels.jpg

Thats just a Milltek.....with a remap (we're doing it next week) I think we're looking at near 400bhp

[/ QUOTE ]

The 335d is a really nice car, but as you can see the 335i is going to be something pretty special once tuned!! smile.gif

I managed to get 26mpg out of my 535d sport touring, and on a pretty quick test drive of the 335i I came back with just under 23mpg on the clock.

There is not enough difference in fuel economy to make you buy the diesel. Don't get me wrong I am a big diesel fan, but have to be honesyt and say it was because I loved getting 600 miles out of a tank, when you get to this level it isn't worth worrying about.

With depreciation, fuel, tax and insurance a 335i would cost you around £800 a month being realistic if you do 20k miles a year, if you bought the 335d it would cost you around £760 a month, really not worth worrying about.

I have yet to hear anyone who has driven both say the diesel is the one they prefer, however I know 2 people who have bought the 335d without doing the maths because they thought it was the cheaper option.

Drove a 335i today and I was blown away. Absolutely awesome doesnt describe it. No lag, just some serious push from the word go, and a fabulous noise also. For motorway cruisin id go for the diesel but as a drivers car it would have to be the petrol. Showing them my GTI tomorrow and depending on what they offer me Im going to order an alpine white 335,19"'s,red leather, heated seats, adaptive headlights,sunroof and sliding armrest. Only thing is when I enquired about the mtec kit they told me it would.nt be available until after the new M3 came out so thats a pity.

I'm getting nearly 40 MPG out of 335D over the first 2000 miles....its a very relaxing car to drive when you just want to get home.

But when you wnat to have fun I would say its very eye opening...I am sure with a DMS remap to 335BHP & 500+ torque it will provide even more rewards.

However if I bought again....who knows.

• 6 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

The 335d is a really nice car, but as you can see the 335i is going to be something pretty special once tuned!! smile.gif

I managed to get 26mpg out of my 535d sport touring, and on a pretty quick test drive of the 335i I came back with just under 23mpg on the clock.

There is not enough difference in fuel economy to make you buy the diesel. Don't get me wrong I am a big diesel fan, but have to be honesyt and say it was because I loved getting 600 miles out of a tank, when you get to this level it isn't worth worrying about.

With depreciation, fuel, tax and insurance a 335i would cost you around £800 a month being realistic if you do 20k miles a year, if you bought the 335d it would cost you around £760 a month, really not worth worrying about.

I have yet to hear anyone who has driven both say the diesel is the one they prefer, however I know 2 people who have bought the 335d without doing the maths because they thought it was the cheaper option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about the 330d or p or 325d or p. In your view is the arguement basically the same for d v p in each engine size.

Do you have the cost of ownership comparison for 330's and 325s, and even 320's?

Like 335i £800pm 335d £760pm

330i £ 330d £

325i £ 325d £

320i £ 320d £

Thanks.

I must admit the 335i was a great drive & sounded a lot nicer than my 335d, but I just like the idea of a fast diesel, plus the 335i are a lot more common here in Ireland than the d, ive seen 5 or 6 335i's but not one d yet!!!

Should have my new grill Monday, all ive left to do is the remap and that her finished!!

[ QUOTE ]

I have the AA Xede in mine, it is stupidly quick now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gizze - have you given a review of your 'xede' experiences yet! What are your 0-60 times now and has it altered your mpg during 'sensible' driving (presuming you have done some sensible driving since installation wink.gif).

I know this is a product well tested in America, but what do you know about the manufacturer and now do they fit in with Procede and Vishnu?

Just ordered a 335i m-sport coupe and want to give it a bit more punch, not sure whether to go for xede or wait for Superchips to come up with a bluefin for the 335i.

Also, does anyone know what engine mods hartge do to extract 360 bhp? This looks attractive but is incredibly expensive at almost £3000 for the +50 bhp upgrade.

The Hartge upgrade is aslo a piggy back module, so at £3k you have to be a Hartge fan.

ActiveAutowerke are not anything to do with Vishnu, and I would have no problem going with either, the problem with Vishnu is they are so fecking disorganised.

Some people have been waiting weeks for their units, in fact months, and you just don't get a reply from any of them, I sent that Shiv 10 PMs with a couple of questions, mainly asking if the euro ECU was different to US, and how much shipping would be to the UK.

In the end I got one reply saying "email [email protected] Shiv." which to me was a pretty lame answer.

I then sent a dozen emails to the sales team asking the same things etc. and got one reply saying "Add $100 for shipping." Didn't give any answers about ecu, whether they would test it first as it was a pain to send back if faulty and more importantly availability, didn't want to order and not see it for 8 weeks or more, also how would I know if it had gone missing in shipping etc.

AA replied to my mails straight away and so they were the ones I decided to go with.

I may still get a Procede if the V2 is really that good, but I am not sure about their claims, they said they were getting 50-80whp in the V1.45, and now they are saying 40bhp from 1.45 and up to 87whp from V2.0.

Speaking with guys who have tried both, they have all said the AA Xede is a smoother map, which after living with it I can believe, it feels smoother than stock up to 2500rpm and then it just files.

I managed 4.99 seconds to 60mph in stck form using the Race Technology AP22 performance meter, and with the AA Xede I managed to get 4.52 seconds.

To give you an idea of what I was getting from my cars and how the 335i performs I will give you some figures I have got using the AP22...

6.4 seconds 535d aport touring stock

5.6 seconds 535d sport touring DMS remap (344/680nm)

5.6 seconds 2005 S4 avant Milltek Cat Back.

4.9 seconds M3 SMG 2004

4.9 seconds 335i sport touring auto stock

4.7 seconds M3 CSL stock

4.5 seconds 335i sport touring AA Xede (Version 1 software)

All in all it is an excellent upgrade, and well chuffed with it, for £600 you can't go wrong really.

The first tankful with the AA Xede installed when having loads of fun returned 16mpg, but then the CSL would only return this and it was a lot lighter so expected, and the S4 would return around 12mpg doing the same run, so not bad at all.

This last tankful is showing 29.4 I think it is at the minute but only been up to the coast and into town twice so not been really thrashing it, only when getting past all the Audi allroads pottrering up to North Norfolk! wink.gif

I would not touch superchips, they are a pain if anything goes wrong, they are one of the only companies that don't hide their maps wich makes them a bunch of cowboys as far as I am concerned, even their bluefin thing ups the ECU counter everytime you swap a map, this means the dealer can see your car is mapped straight away, they don't even have to be looking for it, it will come up as the plug their diagnostic mahine into your car!!

I would let DMS touch my car and a couple of others that post on here, but Superchips would be my last choice.

Yeah I love it, and I have shocked a few people in it already, nice thing is you tend to get a thumbs up from people too, think that is because it is an estate.

Had a blat about with a new C2S the other day, followed him for around 12 miles or so, all down typical Norfolk roads and had no problem keeping up speed wise, but my tyres were screeching quite loudly on some of the corners which made my heart race a little, and I am sure his weren't!! smile.gif

Nice thing is, as he turned off he put his hazards on to say bye.