New Ducati 1098 is 'out'

DukeDesmo

This might interest you:

Hi Guys

I'm out in South Africa on the launch of the Ducati 1098 at Kyalami and I must say that I'm in love.

It's much lighter (claimed 173kg) and more powerful (claimed crank 160bhp) than the 999 and it absoutely destroys the fast corners that dominate Kyalami. The steering is so precise and accurate and the stock Showa suspension gives loads of feedback, even if it can get a bit flighty. Best of all are the brakes though - it is the first production bike to use monobloc calipers and the stopping power is astounding - my arms are so tired now that I'm having trouble typing. It also looks pretty cool in the flesh - I reckon it is one of the best-looking Ducatis for a while.

As for the motor, Ducati decided to launch the bike 5000 feet above sea level, which is sapping upto 20 bhp from peak power and gives it a limp midrange too, but if Ducati aren't lying it should be an absolute tool. They claim it is as fast in a straight line as a GSX-R1000. Not sure it will be, but I've got it on good authority that it'll do 145bhp at the wheel. FROM A TWIN...

Also had a go on the 'S' version with Ohlins and the Ducati Performance kit on it. Sublime. Bayliss managed to lap this bike just five seconds slower than his fastest lap when he raced here in WSB, and he was lapping it faster than the SA Superbikes were at their last race.

Has anyone got any questions they want answering about the bike? I'm writing the launch report at the moment so I'll try and answer any Qs.

I'll try and post some pics in the morning too.

Cheers

Matt, Features Ed, PB

Cris

Outstanding!! Thanks for the write-up. What is the bike like physically, smaller than the 999 / 749 or same size? And the mirrors, always was a bane when riding my 749r, and always a bit of a weak spot on Ducatis. Not that you rave about rear views, but they do have a role to play on the road...!

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

WHOAAA baby!!!

Nice one!

But if I got an 1098, I would swop the exhaust unit for one of a 999 - much more in keeping with the styling I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh No! The 999's exhaust always reminded me of a Kellogs cornflake packet painted silver! shocked.gif

The 1098 is just right as it is. The 1098 S makes me want toilet!!!!! shocked.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

BUB bike.thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Had a go on my mates the other day, its awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that all you've got to say?!!! blush.gif It must've made the '6 feel like a torque-less blank grin.gif (ok it is a torque-less blank but you know what I mean wink.gif) laugh.gif

I sat on one at P&H in Crawley and it's quite high but overall small. Stunning in the flesh too. I'll take 3. One for the road, one for the track and one for the front room! yelrotflmao.gif

notworthy.gif

1055750-Image006.jpg

1055750-Image007.jpg

Can't wait for a demo........ ZZZ.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

post-5262-137914388076_thumb.jpg

What can I say, they're in another league. He's got carbon termis with the baffle removed - Sounds like a spitfire! I only took it out nervously for 20 mins, too scared I'd bin it. He's still running it in so took it easy, but it felt like it'd just go and go and go...

Those dealer stickers look shite!

Not sure if any of you have seen this yet but, (copied from another site.)

Yesterday, the UK's weekly Motorcycle News paper invited a number of Ducati 916/996/998 and 999 owners to test ride the brand new Ducati 1098 for a comparison article. The offer was extended to members of the UK's Ducati Sporting Club.

As luck would have it, all was going well for about the first hour, until a small lowside incident resulted in a crash damaged 1098! Read more about the invite from MCN and the incident itself over at the Ducati Sporting club website.

And here's what could be the first crashed Ducati 1098 now looks like....."

353933866_4e220c1be3_o.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

He's got carbon termis with the baffle removed - Sounds like a spitfire!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, that reminds me my Leo's could do with repacking........ blush.gifwink.giflaugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Those dealer stickers look shite!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly subtle are they? coffee.gif

Still I don't care as long as I get a go!! laugh.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yesterday, the UK's weekly Motorcycle News paper invited a number of Ducati 916/996/998 and 999 owners to test ride the brand new Ducati 1098 for a comparison article. The offer was extended to members of the UK's Ducati Sporting Club.

As luck would have it, all was going well for about the first hour, until a small lowside incident resulted in a crash damaged 1098! Read more about the invite from MCN and the incident itself over at the Ducati Sporting club website.

And here's what could be the first crashed Ducati 1098 now looks like....."

353933866_4e220c1be3_o.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! Quality! Oh well it just goes to show that even the Ducati Sporting club are just a bunch of (rich) idiot bikers!! smashfreakB.gif

You really wouldn't want to be the first kn*b that lowsided the 1098 in public would you? crazy.gif

BUB yelrotflmao.gif