New SEAT Leon Cupra Pricing confirmed

Glovepup

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are getting a hell of a lot of kit for the money though and its damn fast. I tweak and it will harry an S3 surely. If you spec'd an S3 or GTI to the same levels they would be far more. Plus I bet its easier to get a nice discount on one as well ?!?

It will certainly be on my possible list when I come to replace mine. 169144-ok.gif

True but SEATs have got more expensive over the years (the cupra R creaped up and up, until they had to discount them from 18K to 15.5k to shift them) and imho they could not charge what VW or Audi do as they don't have the image, They are a mainstream brand like Ford and Vauxhall, and maybe less image than Mazda,

Infact all 3 of these brands have far more established brand images than SEAT, so SEAT cannot charge more for something then there mainstream rivals. They use to always undercut them because of this but no more. (I have owned 3 SEATs in a row until i went back to VW)

SEAT dealers use to work on an 8% margin + bonuses, less than other VW group members. Quite a few sourcing companys were giving around 10% but if its like when the cupra R first came out SEAT will limit demand and keep prices high (same as VW does with the GTI) for a year or more, Best bet is contact these companys as soon as the order books open because as soon as demand increases the discounts will go, it happened with the Golf GTI and the old cupra R.

[ QUOTE ]

You are getting a hell of a lot of kit for the money though and its damn fast. I tweak and it will harry an S3 surely. If you spec'd an S3 or GTI to the same levels they would be far more. Plus I bet its easier to get a nice discount on one as well ?!?

It will certainly be on my possible list when I come to replace mine. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like it. Not in yellow though. There is NO discounts to be had if you talk to dealers but will be interesting to see if someone can. You get a lot of kit as you say and despite it being a bit plasticy inside, it's bloody well made, goes like stink and will probably annoy the hell out of bigger cars as it's light too.

For me, the S3 and Cupra are now on my lists. Somewhat different prices admittedly. I much prefer this new shape to the old one which is starting to look dated.

[ QUOTE ]

True but SEATs have got more expensive over the years

[/ QUOTE ]

Having sat in new and old Leon's a fair bit (a lot of them at work), we all feel the new one has come a long way. Some of the plastics shine too much, but seats, switch gear, lights and paint quality have all improved over the old one. I can't help feel this is something to do with Audi and Seat leaving VW.

A lot of older Leon owners at work prefer the quality of the new one, but the looks of the older car.

I admit the new Cupra price is a little higher than I thought, but it's not bad. It's a better looking car than the GTI, and in some ways, the S3 too.

Yeah I have to say I would choose one over a GTI, they just look a bit bland to my eyes.

No they don't look brilliant inside but then neither does a BMW 1 series either. Against an S3 its what 10k cheaper when you factor in the spec.. you can do a hell of a lot with that much money.

And thats the thing for me. I love cars ... but the roads are so busy and they are getting more and more expensive to run I want to get as big a bang for my buck as possible, and the Leon certainly gives a good kick for the money. Let me know if you drive one Sparky, would be interested to see what you think.

And where is that review of your other halves motor. tongue.gifgrin.gif169144-ok.gif

grin.gif I was just thinking of doing a review of it the other day. It's opened up now and is a cracking car. We are well pleased with it. 169144-ok.gif

I know the Audi has a better finish inside, but then you'd expect that for £9k more, and I'd rather have the S3 inside too. But it just seems too bland. I'll need to see it in the flesh to know for sure.

As for the Cupra, I've got my name down already! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having sat in new and old Leon's a fair bit (a lot of them at work), we all feel the new one has come a long way. Some of the plastics shine too much, but seats, switch gear, lights and paint quality have all improved over the old one. I can't help feel this is something to do with Audi and Seat leaving VW.

A lot of older Leon owners at work prefer the quality of the new one, but the looks of the older car.

I admit the new Cupra price is a little higher than I thought, but it's not bad. It's a better looking car than the GTI, and in some ways, the S3 too.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have discussed this before iirc, smile.gif as i talked about then my parents had one of the last old leon TDIs and one of the new 2.0TDI mk2s i was not impressed with the quality of the new one or its build compared to the old especially the dash you could tell the old one had an Audi dash not one built down to a SEAT price. SEAT use to be a big step up in quality over Skoda its not the case now.

As for SEAT leaving VW imo i still think they have made them built down to a price more and more over the years rather than better imho but the prices especially of the leons have creaped up.(as an owner of a few SEATs since 1995)

I agree the Leon mk2 looks good on the outside and makes the mk1 look dated and it has more room in the back that i like i just don't like the lack or rear visibility, 3 Quarter visability, over the sholder visibility, and the huge blind spots caused by them silly front quarterlights. That imo is a HUGE step back over the old car and some of its rivals.

Imo i say overpriced for this new cars as SEAT still does not have the image of mainstream rivals like the focus ST2 or Astra VXR so it needs price on its side like it did with the original leon Cupra R(17K) and in the case of the new one price is not on its side.

As a VAG long time fan and as you all know i have been looking forward too this car as it was on our list but the price has put me off even if you could get 10% off.

We bought the original Cupra R over the equivelent rivals including Audi/VW because of its £17K(before discount) price it was great value for money for what you got. The new one im not sure about.

VW with the Golf at least aren't making enough from them they are too expensive to build which is why they are going to pull it early and replace it with something that is cheaper to make.

Some of the parts on my Audi look cheap but the important bits don't. But to be honest I spend more time looking out of the window than I do at the bits inside. As long as it works and doesn't rattle then I'm happy. I like to walk to the car I'm driving looking forward to drive it, the looks play a big part in this but above all else its the handling that will sell it to me.

I could have chosen an A4 for the same money but I didn't as the A3 Sportback handles far better as I'm sure the new Leon will. Add to that a good engine that's not bad on the pocket but will throw the car down the road at a nice rate and the signs look good.

I will have to drive it and have a sit in before I make any final decisions ... but the signs are still looking good for me.

[ QUOTE ]

VW with the Golf at least aren't making enough from them they are too expensive to build which is why they are going to pull it early and replace it with something that is cheaper to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

They say its the door design, they say it can never be right!!, they say its too complicated and has too many components, they say the golf takes too long to produce and build compared to rivals so costs more.

But im very sceptical of this all due to what they sell the German made Golfs for in the states compared to Europe. smirk.gif

Does anyone know if the brakes will be 4 pot brembo's?

What I like about the Lean Mk2:-

Overall body shape

Cute method of design and style of rear doors

237 PSi engine with S3 turbo (instant 270 bhp on re-map)

TD / Mags state traction is not a problem

Smooth torque across power range

Black to purple colour (per motor show)

What I don't like:-

Dark and depressing interior due to head lining being charcoal grey

Plastics to bonnet below windscreen

Lack of image over FR range

Oval pipe work rather than twin separated pipes per aero design / extra body kit

Plastic panel in centre of front cockpit

Had the car been £18k, I'd have ordered one this week, but I'm going to be sat on the sidelines awaiting a test drive for a couple of reasons.

Reason 1 being a road test

Reason 2 to wait and see what extras can be spec'd- aero kit would be a nice option

Reason 3 being value. Most Seats seem to be available for 10-15% below RRP- Will the Cupra have discounting 8 weeks or so after launch when the novelty wears off

Reason 4, Seat dealer knows I'm very interested and has all my contact details. Surprise, surprise they've not contacted me this week !

[ QUOTE ]

Dark and depressing interior due to head lining being charcoal grey

Plastics to bonnet below windscreen

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife's car isn't depressing in the slightest, so it must be a personal taste thing. I get into it and don't have a problem. I actually also like the plastic part on the bonnet, which isn't that big, as it takes away any screenwash residue rather than it sitting on the paint, which it shouldn't.

Yes, the plastics inside - of which there is a lot, is a bit of a let-down, but then you'd not expect Audi quality at that price.

I drive the Leon Sport and FR's and there's little difference, if any, in the ride/handling. I cannot see the Cupra being massively better. It only rides 14mm lower than the Fr, but I'm not expecting massive improvements over a car that already handles better than most in the class.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have discussed this before iirc, smile.gif as i talked about then my parents had one of the last old leon TDIs and one of the new 2.0TDI mk2s i was not impressed with the quality of the new one or its build compared to the old especially the dash you could tell the old one had an Audi dash not one built down to a SEAT price. SEAT use to be a big step up in quality over Skoda its not the case now.

As for SEAT leaving VW imo i still think they have made them built down to a price more and more over the years rather than better imho but the prices especially of the leons have creaped up.(as an owner of a few SEATs since 1995)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we did. grin.gif

One example of build differences was the screen visor. On the old one, it felt like stiff card. On the new one, it was far stronger. Seats feel more supportive and switch gear more positive.

The dash on the old one looked better, but was still more flimsy than the new one. It's the same in the Golf. Take a Mk4 golf - the dash looks much much better than that in a Mk5 golf. The plastics have become cheaper to look at, but they are actually stronger.