RNS-E adapter - Bose vs non-Bose

I've recently bought an RNS-E unit which came with an adapter cable. It was from a guy who had abandoned the job because he was selling the car. I don't think the cable is right for my car because I *suspect* it's non-Bose and I have Bose. But how do I tell the difference for sure? Since I read that the Bose has less wires than non-Bose, can I simply move and remove some of the wires? It's going into a 2003 RS6 to replace the RNS-D already present.

Thanks for any help or links. I'd ask this question over at www.navplus.us but I can't for the life of me successfully register...

Andy

The lead in the ebay link is clearly non BOSE as it has the brown speaker connector and is probably missing the required wire on pin 7 of connector B for BOSE setup.

If you have the 4 speaker wires (check against the wiring diag on the lid), and your lead is missing the ground wire to pin 7 of connector B then your lead is non BOSE.

Cheers for the help guys, that's set me on my way. I've just managed to find this: http://www.nsxjr.com/ted/TED_RNS_E.pdf, which seems to be exactly what I need. You were right, I've got non-Bose since it's got the 4 speaker wires connected and wire 7 hasn't. Now I just need to decide whether it's worth simply swapping the required wires around into the new configuration.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

But if you have Bose then the brown connector is just not used, as long as the as Bose wires are in that harness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but most connectors that I have seen like this do not have the BOSE ground wire. So they are useless in a BOSE system unless you can add the wire. Most people do not have access to the pins to add the missing wire. So why not just get the correct harness in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]

Fair point Craig. I was just saying that harness looks to have all the possible options covered. For people with limited wiring knowledge that surely would be the best option if they were doing their own retrofit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The silly thing is that for a B6/B7 A4/S4/RS4 at least it IS possible to make a universal adapter for Bose/non-Bose with CD and telephone support - but most suppliers of these adapters don't do that. They continue to accept the hidden cost (of inventory, returns of incorrectly ordered adapters, etc. - to them) of having several different versions, plus the real cost (of confusion - to us, the purchasers) of having to work out which version of the adapter we want.

This is what leads to this sort of confusion - which I've seen many times in the past 18 months on several different websites.