Oil consumption.....

Baldrik

Hi,

Have had my GTi for about 8 months now and covered about 14k.

Can't say I have looked under the bonnet very often but a few weeks ago I was alarmed to see the oil warning light come on.

Have not put an oil in since new and it needed a litre to take it to just under half way on the dipstick.

Is this normal?

How much oil do other owners get through?

What oil is recommended? I used Castrol Synthetic stuff.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FSI engines do consume oil, especially when new. How much will depend, I understand, largely on how you drive.

I topped mine up after around 5,000 miles but only needed to put in about .25 of a litre. Other people on this site seem to have used more.

The type of oil to put in will depend on whether you are on the longlife service programme or not. If you are, then make sure you use longlife oil, otherwise the service will come due much sooner.

I picked up some Castrol SLXIII 5W30 oil the other week for about £13 from my local dealer (1 litre). I am assured this is the correct oil for the longlife service regime.

Hope this helps.

it's been discussed on here before , if you never lift the bonnet and check, expect to pay the price later in engine damage and lower reliability. You should top up with long life oil, not std synthethic.

For the record I've done 8.5K and have used about 0.25 litre of the top up oil vw provided.

I've covered just over 2000 miles and added about 2/3 of a litre of oil. A previous 2.0FSI A3 I had also used about a litre every 6000 miles but more at the beginning.

The appetite for oil and the fact so few drivers seem to check levels regularly was part of the reason I bought new as opposed to a used GTI. I now check my oil every 1000 miles.....only takes a minute but could save you a small fortune... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I check mine about every 1,000 miles. However, re the nearly 3,000 miles I've done in the last 10 days, I checked the oil just before leaving for Germany and again today and she's still exactly half-way up the oil stick 169144-ok.gif.

[/ QUOTE ] Good job you don't own an Alfa wink.gif as halfway is way past were you can do some damage especially if you drive with a bit spirt like you do. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yup, dealer said anything more than 1 litre per 600 miles was abnormal, and that mine was within tolerance......

[/ QUOTE ]

If my car was using that much oil I'd reguard it as a problem for sure.

How did you run it in? I was told that it's better to give newer cars basically a hard run in. That being, rather than pussy footing it about for 1k miles, drive it hard from the beginning as the tollerances that newer cars are built to are much better than they used to be and therefor the lesser need to run it in.

That being said I did take it easy for the first 300 or so miles, then I stuck it in sport mode(DSG) and used all the engine revs but not at 100% throttle. After 5-600 miles I have used it like normal and haven't used any oil so far.

If your car uses 1 litre per 1k miles then you would have completely replaced the oil four times before the service is due, assuming longlife @18k miles, that's not right!

• 2 weeks later...