Best place to mount extinguisher?

Tarmac_Terrorist

I shall shortly have a couple of fire extinguishers (one for each car)and I wondered if anyone else had found a succesful place to mount them. The obvious place is in the boot in place of where the dealers strap in the spare oil. With safety in mind, should they be placed inside the car somewhere...I seem to remember that on older beemers they had them mounted just under the front of the drivers seat - presumably easy to get at if your trapped inside a burning car? Any thoughts / examples welcome grin.gif

I've mounted mine in the boot on the left hand side where the rubber straps are. You can under the screw holding the rubber strap and use it to mount a fire extinguisher mounting bracket. Funnily enough the one I use is a BMW fire extinguisher kit.

I'd agree about carrying a fire extinguisher - a little known fact is that modern cars are much more prone to fires than older models due to high pressure fuel injection systems, air con systems e.t.c.

Mate, I've got one and I've placed it in the glove box. You REALLY don't want to be getting out and running to the boot to faff around in there if your car's on fire mate!

Anyway, I think it's a sensible idea, as I've had to use mine to help a fellow petrolhead out and you never know when you'll be first on scene at an accident 169144-ok.gif

On the floor in front of the front passenger seat [dont foget seat movement].........

........doesn't look too good, but easier for driver to get at if his/her feet at trapped with impact damage.

Will need a good restraint system to stop it flying about in an accident.

Not much use in the boot IMHO crazy.gif

cheers 169144-ok.gif

Most (if not all) fires in modern cars start in the engine compartment and to put them out I believe that the recommended procedure is to release the bonnet retaining catch (but not open the bonnet) and then direct the fire extinguisher into the engine bay. To do this you need to be out of the car - in fact the first thing you should do if a car fire is suspected is to get your passengers and yourself out of the car asap. In this case having the fire extinguisher readily available in the boot does'nt really add any significant delay and probably makes no difference whatsoever.

This much is true, but if your car is on fire and you're trapped inside then...Also, if your car is on fire and you're able to get out then it's easier to reach into the glove box and get it, rather than go into the boot and get it. Also, what happens if you're on a road trip holiday and your boot is full of luggage...

Anyway, as said above, best secure it, erm, securely in case of an accident, as you really don't want a heavy piece of metal to be flying about inside your car 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

On the floor in front of the front passenger seat [dont foget seat movement].........

........doesn't look too good, but easier for driver to get at if his/her feet at trapped with impact damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know on the mk1/2 Golf version the mounting bracket is bolted to the seat runner so moves with the seat.

[ QUOTE ]

Mate, I've got one and I've placed it in the glove box. You REALLY don't want to be getting out and running to the boot to faff around in there if your car's on fire mate!

Anyway, I think it's a sensible idea, as I've had to use mine to help a fellow petrolhead out and you never know when you'll be first on scene at an accident 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Back home, my cousin had a major loss of control at speed (alcohol was involved)and ended up embedded in a motorway barrier on a junction (the concrete pointy bit). Car burst into flames, he was trapped (roof buckled down and pinned him by the scalp believe it or not). A passing motorist with a fire extinguisher kept the flames at bay while the emergency services arrived. All great and sounds positive, except m'cous' got something like 40% burns and was paralysed from the chest down ....

He reckons the fire extinguisher trick kept him alive, but in fairness he rather wishes it hadn't been used ...

(Sorry for dismissal story!) EEK2.GIF

• 5 years later...

The glove box would not be a practical area for a fire extinguisher in the event the car gets hit from the passenger side and the resulting damage can trap the fire extinguisher inside the glove box where it could not be accessed in the event of a fire. The best place to mount a fire Extinguisher would be as close to the center of the vehicle as possible where it can be accessed easily by any passenger in the vehicle and should be properly mounted upright in a vertical position and not allowed to be loose inside the vehicle because it could become a missile in the event of a collision and could injure or kill anybody within its path, also it could explode in the event that the tip gets broken because the contents are under tremendous pressure.

Edited by Michael 1

• 2 weeks later...