Looks like she'll have to go

andrewcwilson

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....But what about the resentment that would build up inside you if you got rid of your favourite car just because of some scumbag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pros and Cons Robin. What if a scumbag caused serious injury to you or a loved one over your beloved lump of metal, what would be worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

....I see your point but people can get hurt without it being over a car theft. I think it goes without saying that one would give up the key if a loved one was threatened.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way i looked at this thread was its happened a few times to this person.

So in this case how would i feel in his case?

For example if my daughter was next to the hall table when the tealeaf came in the front door armed with maybe a knife and the car keys were on the table behind her, he may in the heat of the moment stab her just because she was frozen to the spot to get to the keys or just knife her because shes there, You just never know how these people will react when they are doing this sort of thing, and is it really worth the risk to your family for a eurobox?

Serious Q car would be the new BMW 335i debadged.

Only those who understood what the seperate exhaust outlets at the back would know its not one of the lower models in the range. Surprises galore when u nail that throttle and the twin turbo'd straight 6 launches u into the horizon.

Styling is soo bland no one would bat an eyelid until it flies past you.

Any BMW is a HUGE target especially 3 and 5 series well they are up here anyway so not something i would ever recomend as such a Q car and any less likley to have such an incident, Infact BMWs even small engine versions and Merc have More problems than anyother makes with this type of incident.

Unpleasant experience mate, the whole debate from the likes of me is academic as I would probably take a different view if I came across Scum IN the house ..

And just to confirm an earlier post - Tornado Red is a bloody magnet for scum. Can't park it anywhere, am trying to let it get filthy (which pains me!) to deter interest, as not all interest has been genuine (hence the anti-bandit glass).

[ QUOTE ]

The area where I am is really pleasant - green belt 3 miles or so from Leeds centre - an estate of stone built detached properties - nice neighbours etc so moving not really an option. These scrotes have come from outside the area specifically targetting my estate because there are nice cars and houses with goodies inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

As an 'aside' - we recently moved house from a nice part of Hampshire to a generic Surrey / Hampshire commuter village, and my GTI is one of the more crap cars around (i.e. one neighbour has a Lamborghini, another just got a Cayenne Turbo S for the missus). Guess what? My insurance went up, as apparantly living in a 'desirable' area means you're more likely to have scum making the effort to come into the village and go on a rampage ... i.e you're targeted, and they ain't leaving without the car they came for ....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The area where I am is really pleasant - green belt 3 miles or so from Leeds centre - an estate of stone built detached properties - nice neighbours etc so moving not really an option. These scrotes have come from outside the area specifically targetting my estate because there are nice cars and houses with goodies inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

As an 'aside' - we recently moved house from a nice part of Hampshire to a generic Surrey / Hampshire commuter village, and my GTI is one of the more crap cars around (i.e. one neighbour has a Lamborghini, another just got a Cayenne Turbo S for the missus). Guess what? My insurance went up, as apparantly living in a 'desirable' area means you're more likely to have scum making the effort to come into the village and go on a rampage ... i.e you're targeted, and they ain't leaving without the car they came for ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as me- i live in an 'Essex wives' leafy suburb. We have a Lambo, a 645, 2 rangies, 3 X5's, a 3 series cabrio, a new SLK and 2 911's in my street alone. But burglaries are rife and car crime is massive. hence why everyone has bollards etc. But the scum will just break in and take what they can, porsche, merc, GTI or saab... they don't care. mad.gif

This is awful I 100% understand why you need to get shot.

I do think some colours attract this more than others, silver is the less noticable GTi colour IMO ... when its dirty (like it is now) it hardly gets a second glance. Parked near a red (very buffed) GTI on 18 monzas and its the Red one that looks special and turns heads... personally I don't like that too much partly on safety grounds.

Hello - I'm a newbie to this forum but have been an avid reader of the interesting topics posted, just thought i share my thoughts

What happened to you must have been an extremely unpleasant experience and as others say.. family safety comes first. I'm quite concerned by the levels of vehicle robbery/associated violence these days, and try to think of practical ways to avoid things like that happening to me.

I have an '05 Gti (18's,xenon,sat nav etc).. had a tracker fitted in but hope i never have to resort using it. live in east london as well so am wary everytime i park round certain areas (not to mention the numerous scratch 'n' run drivers).

Anyways just thought i'd share my thoughts and best of luck in outwitting/beating the thiefs.

Hey, DKone 169144-ok.gif A Warm Welcome to TSN. So you have now ended your days of lurking here! I expect you know about the other forums here, especially Lounge of Joy. Everyone is friendly and helpful about everything - It's quite a community. Attending any meets if you can, puts faces to names and we invariably have a good banter and laugh.

Trouble is - It can be addictive!!

Hope things work out for you Jamoli whatever you decide to do. It's a real shame that these people can make your life a misery and the police don't seem to be able to do anything about it. I guess there is just so much of this type of behaviour these days that they are overwhelmed.

I agree with some of the comments above about it being the GTI badge that attracts the attention rather than the colour of the car. The GTI is still mentioned regularly in the weekly motoring press as they pit the latest contender against the trusty GTI. Often the new pretender comes out on top but the weekly press wouldn't exist if new cars weren't always better than the ones 2 years old! crazy.gif

You do read about this more and more, Also i have read it here a few times too, makes you think that in the present climate of this country if its worth even owning such a car.

As it seems you cannot park it anywere without worry it gets scratched or damaged, or that you may get car jacked when getting into it, it getting stolen, carjacked at the lights, crashed into by uninsured drivers etc etc, the list goes on.

Yes, it can start to rule your life if you are not careful. I think I have fallen into this.. I now often only go places if I know there will be a secure, safe parking slot. I go to the Supermarket early on Sunday morning and park at the far end of the car park (even if it's pissing down!). The other week I even left my car at my parent's house and did an extra train connection on the way to London so that I wouldn't have to leave my car after dark in a dodgy local town (that shall remain nameless) the day before firework night. I had vision of "youths" roaming the carpark with fireworks! I'm sure my friends / parents think I'm losing it! Maybe I am - that is the trap of having something nice and wanting to keep it that way.

But isn't this the case with any nice car? Concern about a beloved car's protection is just as valid to anyone. There are thousands of Victor Mildrew types who are equally concerned about their bog-standard small Rover or Ford family saloon.

I see nothing wrong in taking whatever precautions you see fit - It soon becomes unconscious habit anyway. The alternative is to get an old banger which really doesn't matter if it gets scraped etc etc. I had a Talbot like that for a while and never washed it either!

My old banger - for commuting, Sainsbury's and dodgy car-parks ...

1008197-CrapCar%231.JPG

13" Halfords Plastic Wheel Trims

Electric Cable Ties (cf. above!)

Lidl 'Sports' Car Seat Covers

Electronic Windows (driver's side working only)

Electronic sunroof (with moss 'wind deflector')

Fiat Racing Red, in parts, others Burgundy

FM Radio with 4 speakers (2 working!) jump.gif

post-13029-13791438321_thumb.jpg

I think most people who care about their cars feel this way. I always use my 1.4 Golf for the shopping runs etc. However, I still find myself performing a couple of laps of the car parks before settling into what I consider to be a safe spot (ie large end spaces not next to MPV's or 4x4's!)even in this car. I've always considered myself to be unique doing this but clearly others share the same 'PISS' DISORDER (Parking in safe spot) grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think most people who care about their cars feel this way. I always use my 1.4 Golf for the shopping runs etc. However, I still find myself performing a couple of laps of the car parks before settling into what I consider to be a safe spot (ie large end spaces not next to MPV's or 4x4's!)even in this car. I've always considered myself to be unique doing this but clearly others share the same 'PISS' DISORDER (Parking in safe spot) grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have alway done the same thing grin.gif

I've had a few 'nice' cars - certainly some that attract al kinds of unwanted attention. But my philosophy has always been that they are there to be used and driven and to get me around and if that means parking somewhere dodgy or risking dings and dents and what have you, then so be it. Shite happens.

It might be a nice lump of metal, but it's still just a lump of metal.