Bel 550 Euro Radar Detector

Matt R

Radar / laser detectors aren't illegal. Laser jammers probably are. I had my Bel 990 on the dashboard when I got done for speeding. The copper said "what's that?" and I said "It's a radar detector". He didn't look too pleased but didn't say anything more about it.

I got done by Vascar, hence the Bel wasn't much use on that occasion frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

But my understanding is, they are illigal to switch on/use, but legal to buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not true. They've been legal for a few years now. Before, the cops used to do you for "interrupting communications" or something, but a judge ruled that there wasn't anything being communicated so they weren't illegal.

Don't take it to France though - they'll make you drive over it mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I wasnt trying to be helpful - I was curious because I would consider something like this, but was wondering what happens with Laser - its all well it detecting it but then what? I did raise the queries because I didnt know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry SK, Wrong end of the stick!!! suicide.gif

Any interest then?

Matt

jump.gif

I bought one of these last month - an AWESOME piece of detector technology.

Without one, I must say, I would feel 'naked'.

As has been said, since around 1998, it has been entirely legal to buy and use a 'detectotr' device.

The BEL 550 is almost the best you can buy, barring perhaps the valentine one (but that costs about 75% more !!)

A new BEL 550 is gonna set you back £350+

Mine was new in a sealed box off a friend, for £250.

It picks up laser from front or back.

I figured that Geodesy and Road angel are fine but if it's a fixed camera, there should be signs anyhow.

Mobile video vans only use Laser targetting (no radar) and if you are lucky to get a warning from a stray laser beam, it will warn you.

My Bel is for all the other radar devices in use (Gatso and hand-held forces guns) There are plenty of 'em about !!

Best of luck selling.

FOXY