A3/S3 Front Speakers...?

Does anyone know how much room there is for fitting new front speakers into the doors?

Obviously im looking at 130mm components, but the depth is worring me...

Also would it be possible to fit say 165mm on some MDF mounting them to the door, like a lot of installers do. My main query is the depth and how they actually fit, and how much room there is to play with.

I am looking at a set of focal PolyGlass 130v as they seem to be popular at the moment..

130mm (5 1/8") Midbass, 25mm (1") Voice Coil, 85mm (3 3/8") Magnet, TN45 Tweeter, 2 Way Separate Crossover 12dB / Oct (3.5kHz), 120w Maximum Power Handling, 60w Nominal Power Handling, Sensitivity: 90dB, Frequency Response: 60Hz - 20kHz, Impedance: 3.1 Ohms

Focal Website

Many Thanks

Neal.

Neal,

I have just fitted some Pioneer TS E135C's - they were alot deeper than the standard Audi ones but they seem to fit OK - not sure if they are crammed in but they seem to sound OK. Still using the standard HU though, so they are being a bit under powered at present until I buy a new HU.

The mounting depth on the box states 57.5 mm, and I have also used the plastic mounts too which adds a little depth too.

Wouldn't like to say about mounting bigger ones on a MDF bracket - like you say, presumably bigger speakers need more depth???

Hope this helps...

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, not quite sure yet. They are quite a bit quieter than the stock ones and I have still got my original Head Unit in. I reckon they will sound alot better with an amp to give them a bit of power.

I am currently in the process of getting an amp, so may be in a better position to judge after I have fitted it.

What do you think of them ???

Hum,

I never had the original unit. I have a Kenwood mp3 player (the first model there was - KDC MP 6090R; I hope it's that's the model...not sure).

I have a pair of 3-way Kenwood speakers at rear. All together the sound definitely has improved. It sounds very very good when at higher volume but otherwise it hasn't changed a lot at lower volumes. Maybe I have expected to muchas far as the clarity of sound is concerned. I don't know much about the speakers and audio stuff in general.

Can't complain! wink.gif

• 3 months later...

Cheers for the info Neal, was thinking along the same lines putting 17's front and back but i have now seen some spekers that are 13cm and go up to the same rms power raiting so i will have to waite and see. Think the car is going to have to come apart at some point.

Graham

I would reccommend changing to an aftermarket headunit if you want more from your speakers in general...

The more power you feed to the speakers, the more "quality" sound you get back... its all about the power feed... less power means distortion as your headunit struggles to feed the speakers...

I have an Alpine with 4 x 60W high power output needing its own feed from the battery. This provides good power... amping would increase further if your speakers are particularly good.

Neal.

• 2 weeks later...