R32 or GTI edition 30. please help

bmx

Is your car modified from standard in anyway?  

1. 1. Is your car modified from standard in anyway?

• ECU / Remap / Chip
    • Engine (Turbo cams, Airbox, Intercooler, Nos, Bigger Valves, etc.)
    • Exhaust / Cats / Downpipes
    • Suspension (Springs, Shockers, ARB's)
    • Wheels
    • Standard

after arsing around looking at and test driving gti's and r32's, i really need to make a decision this weekend as to what to get. i would really apreciate your opinions.

car is for the future mrs bmx to go to work in plus take our 2 year old to nursery, and me to play in on a weekend.

choise narrowed down to-

R32 deep, blue pearl

armrest, highline, leather.

import model £23k

or

Edition 30 GTI, reflex silver

armrest

xenons

highline

uk model £23k

my concerns are, fuel cons with the r32. and the edition 30 i only like the silver (shame they didnt do a blue)

please help 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i liked both in the test drives, the gti didnt feel as powerfull, but as you say the ed30 will be more powerfull,and probably putting down the same as the R32 after transmision losses. mrs bmx preferes the fuel economy, as she will be using it on a daily basis, but like me preferes the blue.

Yes I agree with Robin, your experiences driving the 2 probably has to be the deciding factor. I have never driven an R32 and own a GTI but imagine the engine in the R32 would win me over if I tried one. Not sure the Edition 30 is worth its money, the GTI is already expensive in the marketplace and the ED30 is more again. However, a UK car in the ED30 is attractive although if you are sure of the spec of the import R32 there should be no problem.

At the end of the day I would probably go R32 on financial reasons only. As its an import it is less than it ought to be but the ED30 will be full UK list price.

[ QUOTE ]

you can special order car colours on the gti as someone has a DBP gti - so maybe you could do the same with the ED30??

[/ QUOTE ]

that was AndyW's car and it was an import.

I somehow can't see any UK dealer bending backwards to supply a special colour on a limited edition car.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree with Robin, your experiences driving the 2 probably has to be the deciding factor. I have never driven an R32 and own a GTI but imagine the engine in the R32 would win me over if I tried one. Not sure the Edition 30 is worth its money, the GTI is already expensive in the marketplace and the ED30 is more again. However, a UK car in the ED30 is attractive although if you are sure of the spec of the import R32 there should be no problem.

At the end of the day I would probably go R32 on financial reasons only. As its an import it is less than it ought to be but the ED30 will be full UK list price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely this depends how long you intend to keep the car...an import is likely to be worth less than a UK sourced model when you sell. If you're keeping 4-5 years then this might not be an issue.

It also sounds like the car will be used for short trips in the main....you could experience very low fuel consumption figures, particularly on the R. All depends how important this is to you. grin.gif

I would get a normal Blue GTi (not ED30) then add better brakes and remap. smile.gif

IMO the ED30 looks bit chavy (all that red stiching), unless you really like that or want that "something bit different" feel.

Not driven a R32 but lots of people seem to prefer 4 pot turbos and FWD from VAG and not the 4WD V6 "upgrades". 169144-ok.gif

I think its all a personal thing,

If you want traction and a great engine noise with imo less involvment then the R32 it is.

If you want to be more exclusive then the ED30 it is.

I got a friend at VW to ask about special colours on the ED30 i was told no deal. Shame as i would have loved a shadow blue.

I too could not decide between the 30ED or the R32, I had a budget of 28k but in the end decided to get a normal GTI. Its all down to what you prefer, I liked the 4WD on the R32 and the engine noise was great, but I did not like the big heavy V6 engine and I personally don't think that DSG works as well with the R32 as it does on the GTI. Its swings and round abouts and its about what you want from a car.

I agree with the DSG not working as well on the R32. When I bought my DSG GTI I test drove it versus a manual GTI and a DSG R32. I ended up with the DSG GTI as it felt the best package. The manual GTI came a very close 2nd.

I had first refusal on the ed30 at my local dealer. When I saw the spec and photo I decided not to go a head. So ended up test driving there manual R32 demo and was very impressed. It feels so much better with the manual box and suits the V6. The neck snapping responce was a revelation after turbo cars. The V6! OH the V6! It's a cracking engine and the sound it makes!

I'd go for the R32 as you get more for your money. You'll get a similar amont of money back. It's a higher spec and classier looking (still don't like the wheels though).Plus you'll get a V6!

Second thoughts get a second hand GTI and re-map it for a fraction of the cost. The Mrs will never no.

Just throwing my pennies worth in ...

R32 would be my choice over the Anni30. Seems the '30 gets you to 62mph about 0.3 seconds faster than a standard GTI if you drive like a god ... ! Is that really worth it?! Probably just get to the speed camera a smidgon faster than me ....

I think I'm developing a growing affections towards the R .. !

I am not a Grumpy Old Man, by the way!

169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

The call is a rather inconceivable one to make znaika.gif, as who has actually driven an ED30? ROLLEY~14.GIF Hands up! buttcheeks.gif ooh that makes exactly 0 SPericani2.gif

Having owned a few performance "peeps cars" in recent & past times,I am actually quite looking forward to the ED30, as I think it has the makings of quite a little "stonker".

The R32 is a top car, but just is not, as I have commented on numerous occassions "hardcore" enough.

Mine rides better and is more comfortable than a frigging Audi A6 Uber limo monster,on a trip to Mars & back and yet still goes round corners as if bonded by solvite wallpaper adhesive to the black stuff, but yet? it definitely lacks that "grab you by the gonads" quality of say a MK1 gti... bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

The latest gen gti, I think makes a much better stab at this, and is a more involving drive, yet still a comfortable motor to drive.

Chuck in a "genuine" extra 30 ponies openfire.gif and hopefully some uprated brakes bike.thumb.gif as standard issue and I think you have the makings of a rather nice and desirable package................Jess from Real Hustle......sorry I digress......... slap.gif

Could explain why I have one ordered for my dearest and most expensive half,I guess..........the anticipation makes the dark winter months crawl by..... coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Chuck in a "genuine" extra 30 ponies openfire.gifand hopefully some uprated brakes bike.thumb.gif as standard issue and I think you have the makings of a rather nice and desirable package

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's a good point! VW have upped the ponies to 230 bhp and done engine mods, but have they upgraded the brakes?? - I haven't heard so NONO3.GIF. If my Stage1 Revo is around 230-ish (has initially rolling roaded at 220-ish), the Anni Ed30 is most definitely going to need better responding brakes IMO.

I doubt VW will / have uprated the brakes. However, I must have read almost every piece of editorial / review on the GTI and nobody as far as I'm aware except here on tyresmoke has suggested the brakes are inadequate. Obviously like any other mechanical aspect of the car, they can benefit hugely from being uprated. The performance figures for the Anni30 are not much greater than the standard GTI so I should imagine that most will find the anchors OK. wink.gif

....No-one is saying that the OEM brakes don't work but if you have a drive in a Mk5 GTI equipped with a proper Big Brake kit, you'll suddenly experience how much better they are. Throw in a few more ponies at the front wheels and you'll know it's a no-brainer, assumimg you've got the dosh spare.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

....No-one is saying that the OEM brakes don't work but if you have a drive in a Mk5 GTI equipped with a proper Big Brake kit, you'll suddenly experience how much better they are. Throw in a few more ponies at the front wheels and you'll know it's a no-brainer, assumimg you've got the dosh spare.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

now where do you keep your car parked overnight Red?? grin.gif