Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmx

R32 or GTI edition 30. please help

Is your car modified from standard in anyway?  

1. 1. Is your car modified from standard in anyway?

• ECU / Remap / Chip
    • Engine (Turbo cams, Airbox, Intercooler, Nos, Bigger Valves, etc.)
    • Exhaust / Cats / Downpipes
    • Suspension (Springs, Shockers, ARB's)
    • Wheels
    • Standard

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

362 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Throw in a few more ponies at the front wheels and you'll know it's a no-brainer, assumimg you've got the dosh spare.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 15 months/16000 miles I owned the GTI I never once felt the brakes were inadequate, I did however feel the traction was poor in the wet without throwing in any more ponies and this was one of the main reasons for changing to the R32. I know you can ease the power in nice and steady to reduce this but the beauty of the R is that the traction issue is pretty much removed.

Obviously big brakes are going to be better than the OEM ones but in every day driving the OEM ones for me were absolutely fine.

Looking forward to seeing your pots on Saturday Red, long time no see 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The call is a rather inconceivable one to make znaika.gif, as who has actually driven an ED30? ROLLEY~14.GIF Hands up! buttcheeks.gif ooh that makes exactly 0 SPericani2.gif

Having owned a few performance "peeps cars" in recent & past times,I am actually quite looking forward to the ED30, as I think it has the makings of quite a little "stonker".

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets be honest, it's hardly going to be THAT different is it. Ok it will have a bit more urgency and maybe some better shoes and socks, but it's 95% the same as the standard car.

IMO 30 horses and better brakes improve on what is already a little stonker? beerchug.gif

....I doubt it. Turbo lag is something which all the car manufacturers have been keen to solve and the standard Mk5 GTI has done so. New turbo on the Ed30 as well.

Thats what im thinking though RR. The normal Gti has very little lag but the S3 and Cupra do suffer from this with the bhp increase.

[ QUOTE ]

....No-one is saying that the OEM brakes don't work but if you have a drive in a Mk5 GTI equipped with a proper Big Brake kit, you'll suddenly experience how much better they are. Throw in a few more ponies at the front wheels and you'll know it's a no-brainer, assumimg you've got the dosh spare.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just after driving a GTi with a big brake kit that you notice the OE brakes weakness. If you have driven a SEAT or Skoda with similar power and Brembos then you realise what a weak link the OE brakes in the GTi really are.

Been following the editoral on the new Renault Megane 230 in various mags and it gets a great write up ...direct competitor to ED30. £3K cheaper but with LSD and reworked suspension mods and BIG BRAKES....makes me wonder why VW havn't done the same for ED30.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone think tubo lag could be an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's possible as, iirc, one of the reasons for the almost non-existant lag on the standard gti is the small turbo.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....No-one is saying that the OEM brakes don't work but if you have a drive in a Mk5 GTI equipped with a proper Big Brake kit, you'll suddenly experience how much better they are. Throw in a few more ponies at the front wheels and you'll know it's a no-brainer, assumimg you've got the dosh spare.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just after driving a GTi with a big brake kit that you notice the OE brakes weakness. If you have driven a SEAT or Skoda with similar power and Brembos then you realise what a weak link the OE brakes in the GTi really are.

Been following the editoral on the new Renault Megane 230 in various mags and it gets a great write up ...direct competitor to ED30. £3K cheaper but with LSD and reworked suspension mods and BIG BRAKES....makes me wonder why VW havn't done the same for ED30.

[/ QUOTE ]

True on the SEAT front in my view but im not heavy on brakes myself but i know what you meen.

I also think like other renault sport models, trophy etc there will be BIG HUGE discounts making the car thousands cheaper than its SRP.

[ QUOTE ]

Thats what im thinking though RR. The normal Gti has very little lag but the S3 and Cupra do suffer from this with the bhp increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

So SOME of the magazine reviews say but i don't trust there biased hidden agenda views, S3 did not seem to bad to me.

I guess the issue with VW right now is their 2WD turbo 4pots are better than the premium 4WD V6 models (Golf, TT) so they have to hold back a bit on something like ED30 to avoid making model range a nonsense.

Renault have no such worries so can go for it with less constraint.

Its a shame but IMO ED30 does seem a bit tarted up and commitee design led rather than a real soup to nuts SE.

I have had a problem with the VW group (VW, SEAT, Skoda, Lambo, Bentley etc) as a whole for ages they make too many thing that compete with themselfs.

They should have seperated the brands more imo for a start.

Now they have different engines that are competing against each other.

The 3.2V6 against the more powerful (230PS/240PS/265PS) 2.0T FSI.

Now they have the 1.8 TFSI that will rival the 1.4 TSI and both put out about the same CO2 its madness.

Id go for the GTi 30 - if the previous anni was anythign to go by - over 50% residuals after 4 years isnt bad. Also having seen a GTi 30 it does look very good and i feel the slight cosmetic changes are worth it. Maybe being a Anni owner in the past does bais this arguement slightly.

where did you see the edition 30? are there any in the uk yet?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....No-one is saying that the OEM brakes don't work but if you have a drive in a Mk5 GTI equipped with a proper Big Brake kit, you'll suddenly experience how much better they are. Throw in a few more ponies at the front wheels and you'll know it's a no-brainer, assumimg

you've got the dosh spare.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] jump.gif

Have to agree with this i used to own a leon cupra r with the brembos and they were fantatic, to be honest the only time you notice the difference is when you are braking really hard and i can almost guarentee that the abs will come on in the gol, especially if you go over a slight bump in the road as you are braking heavy...

This was never a prob in the seat and it was very very rare that the abscame on, i am not saying the brakes are bad just not as good as vw's other group cars, we will have to see what the brakes are like on the new cupra as there is alot of mention over on seatcupra.net about them not being brembos and being seat sport brakes, (the mk4 r32 brakes)

Just my thoughts...

Kev

Surely if the abs comes in the the brakes are too good for the available tyre grip at that time ?

I have noticed the abs seems quite 'keen' on my R32 especally on uneaven surfaces they again it does weigh about the same as an ocean liner ! grin.gif

Yea the new cupra resent word i heard was that the brembo caliper version and thats the key would be coming later when seat was happy with the performance compared to the standard brakes, that the rest of europe get anyway. There still uprated compared to the GTI as they are 345x30 much bigger than the GTIs.

It should be a very nice motor....and will be on my list in march time..

Have you seen the cupra reviews?? Apparently better than the mazda mp3 and the vxr astra but still behind the gti and st. Surprisingly the engine suffers lag and apparently doesnt have the kick of the gti or the st??? maybe they had a dud? Also they say the ride was terrible and interior cheap. I had high hopes for the cupra, especially after the previous one but it seems seat havent delivered

Interesting article...loved the quote about the interior "Angry black with white dials" lol.gif

So if this is the same engine as in the Edition 30, are some people going to be disappointed? EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

where did you see the edition 30? are there any in the uk yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

VW Learning Centre in MK - if it wasnt an Ed 30 then it was a GTI they had done up to look like one.

.. perhaps a simple remap will set the new Cupra alight ? Seat may have purposely set it to not be as quick as the Ed30 confused.gif

169144-ok.gif

it is talked about having the turbo from the new s3 (ko4 i think)but i am not sure if it has been confirmed yet...