Bollox to cleaning.

loddrik

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Everyone knows how many cars I have had, I have never waxed one, not one car had any issues with buyers saying that the paint wasn't shiny enough blah blah...

I think that prestige cars look better with a bit of grime on anyhows.

GF in london at minute but when she gets back will post pic of how dirty my car actually is, dont think I will get it cleaned (definately not waxed!!) until march.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you married? if you're not that would explain it. if you are, then what the hell do you do to get away from the wife and kids for quiet time for a few hours?

Cos thats why I clean, like it's my religion, every saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.gif Same 'ere! Plus end up getting dirty myself lifting kids into car seats etc if I don't grin.gif

IMO paying attention to the detailing of a car needn't be at the expense of the enjoyment derived from driving it - the two aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, I keep my car in prime condition as much as I can and although it's not my daily driver, it gets driven regularly and enjoyed to the full.

I don't particularly enjoy the time I spend detailing, I enjoy the end result. Those results take time and effort to achieve properly and if there were faster, easier ways to do so then I'd be all ears - I'm certainly not short of better things to spend time on.

All nice cars, not just premium/prestige/high end (or whatever you want to call them) should be kept in first class order, and not least for the reasons mentioned already. It's a sad reflection on our 'disposable' society that many of them are not, and I'm saying that more as the son of a motor trader than as a car enthusiast.

[ QUOTE ]

IMO paying attention to the detailing of a car needn't be at the expense of the enjoyment derived from driving it - the two aren't mutually exclusive. Yes, I keep my car in prime condition as much as I can and although it's not my daily driver, it gets driven regularly and enjoyed to the full.

I don't particularly enjoy the time I spend detailing, I enjoy the end result. Those results take time and effort to achieve properly and if there were faster, easier ways to do so then I'd be all ears - I'm certainly not short of better things to spend time on.

All nice cars, not just premium/prestige/high end (or whatever you want to call them) should be kept in first class order, and not least for the reasons mentioned already. It's a sad reflection on our 'disposable' society that many of them are not, and I'm saying that more as the son of a motor trader than as a car enthusiast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Words of wisdom J_C as ever 169144-ok.gif

Yes it's a labour of love but when you catch someone doing a double take of your car you know it was worth the effort. kissmyrings.thumb.gif

Sometimes I don't get a chance to give my car a proper wash for weeks, but because it has a thick coat of quality wax on it even a quick jet wash will have it looking fantastic in 5 mins.

As for the people who don't wash much during the winter IMO it's the most important time of the year to wash. Again even just a £1.99 jet wash to blast all that salt off the wheels/brakes/underside has to be worth it.

Washing is preventive maintenance in its simplest form

beerchug.gif

I don't see the point in playing golf, rugby, cricket, running or going to the pub to get pi55ed, it's just pointless IMO. However I spent a fair bit on my cars and don't want too watch more money going down the plug than is necessary. I enjoy it and make a fair amount of cash out of it doing other peoples cars who can't be bothered. So the more of you that can't be ar$ed to clean your car the more extra cash I can earn fixing the mess. So everyones happy.

Just my 2p's worth.

Detailing your car pays off, as I've found out recently. I've been unfortunate enough to be inlvolved in a couplpe minor prangs both of the other vehicles were dirty in relation to mine. End result their paint was left on my car so was easily polished off; their cars needed resprays grin.gifwink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Detailing your car pays off, as I've found out recently. I've been unfortunate enough to be inlvolved in a couplpe minor prangs both of the other vehicles were dirty in relation to mine. End result their paint was left on my car so was easily polished off; their cars needed resprays grin.gifwink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Confused, so clean cars are stronger. I'd rather avoid hitting or being hit.

Tian coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Confused, so clean cars are stronger. I'd rather avoid hitting or being hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is the surface. The shiney and smooth surfaces allow more stuff to rub off easier. Dirty surfaces are not smooth and have lots of 'craters' that let paint and stuff into.

etc. Probably not well explained!

[ QUOTE ]

Dirty cars are more aerodynamic than highly polished ones. The rougher surface of an unpolished car breaks down the boundry layer air and reduces drag. Therefore all this polishing just slows you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh skin friction drag coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Dirty cars are more aerodynamic than highly polished ones. The rougher surface of an unpolished car breaks down the boundry layer air and reduces drag. Therefore all this polishing just slows you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another few thousand miles and mine should really start to fly! tongue.gif

1007604-moro.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but you are wrong and it is actullay the opposite. A smooth surface has less drag than a rough one. The last thing you want to do is break the boundary layer. This creates turbulent flow, increasing drag. Laminar flow is what is required and smoother surfaces contribute the the continuation of laminar flow. znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but you are wrong and it is actullay the opposite. A smooth surface has less drag than a rough one. The last thing you want to do is break the boundary layer. This creates turbulent flow, increasing drag. Laminar flow is what is required and smoother surfaces contribute the the continuation of laminar flow. znaika.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to explain this to Jim at a meet a while back but he growled at me so I stopped UHOH7.GIF

It's not his fault, he's a leccy rather than a clanky bike.thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be true if we are talking about just the drag over a flat plane, but with a car we are not. It is a complex shape and the airflow will try to detatch itself at various points, and this is the major cause of drag. By breaking down the boundry layer air you are increasing the energy within this layer. This helps the airflow stay attached to the surface for longer and therefore reduces drag.

Anyway, I washed my car yesterday, and it feels slower. tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

This would be true if we are talking about just the drag over a flat plane, but with a car we are not. It is a complex shape and the airflow will try to detatch itself at various points, and this is the major cause of drag. By breaking down the boundry layer air you are increasing the energy within this layer. This helps the airflow stay attached to the surface for longer and therefore reduces drag.

Anyway, I washed my car yesterday, and it feels slower. tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is right, hence golf balls having dimples and not being entirely bluff bodies i.e. spherical. However, a dirty car will not reduce drag. A smoother surface is better than rough surface in that is reducess skin friction. Drag associated with skin friction is a function of surface roughness.

[ QUOTE ]

Does a Golf Ball not have the dimples to make it spin whilst in the air and hence travel further?

[/ QUOTE ]

A golf ball or any spherical object will spin when projected through the air regardless of dimples. The amount and shape of the dimples allow the ball to travel further by reducing the amount of drag.

[ QUOTE ]

Therefore, are you suggesting you want the same effect whilst travelling at speed in your motor!?! I think not...

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif