[Audi A3/S3] Optimax

bpsmith

Was not even sure what this was that people were talking about until saw a sign when flying past a Shell station that is not on the normal roads I use.

Can someone who has tried it let me know what gains can be expected on a standard TSport and on a chipped one? Also what difference in price?

Most importantly, is it worth using?

Its usually about 3p a litre more expensive than normal unleaded.

I used to run my TSport on it, it made a slight improvement to the performance and economy, I felt it was just about worth it, andit was only a couple of quid more every time I filled up.

If you get the car chipped some companies can offer you a more aggresive map to take account for the higher octane rating in the fuel.

HTH

Chris.

I use a fuel card, the manual for the S3 says I should use at least 97 RON, the nearest garage to me is a Shell so it's an obvious choice for me.

I can't actually tell you if it makes any difference because my car has only ever been fed Optimax, except on one occasion when I did have to put £10 of 95 RON as I couldn't find a Shell and I thought I noticed the effect of that, but perhaps I imagined it.

As for economy, the DIS is showing 28 mpg at the moment

I certainly noticed a difference when changing to a 98 fuel over 95 (the only two options we have), a number of things struck me from the running of the car, not from a performance point, but just smoothness. I only stick in 98, and for some chips that's all they recommand but say that a tank of 95 won't hurt now and again.

I did notice only a very small difference in performance the other day when I accidently filled up with 95....

I guess I will have to give it a try then when the tank needs filling next. Will see what it costs extra and whether it does give any improvement in smoothness etc.

As far as keeping it clean I ten dot go for the Wynn's 3 stage treatment once in a while so not that bothered with the fuel cleaning it too.

Well you can use the money you save on buying Wynn's to pay for the Optimax. grin.gif

As for your first comment, it may take a few tanks to notice the difference while the ECU notices the improvement in the fuel. IIRC correctly it seems happier to retard the ignition when it gets bad fuel than it is to advance it when it gets better fuel. Of course I could be talking complete dung.gif