Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DHA

Do the police care about drivers using mobiles?

36 posts in this topic

Handheld radios aren't generally used, as Airwave terminals tend to be clipped to stab vests anyway (and aren't, therefore, handheld). Or they use vehicle sets. But it is not illegal to use something handheld if it is an emergency and there is no alternative, or it is for police purposes (IIRC).

[ QUOTE ]

But it is not illegal to use something handheld if it is an emergency and there is no alternative

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that just apply to the police force, or would it apply to Jo Bloggs using his phone while driving?

Not sure what that spanner who was doing 130 mph in his 3 series did - maybe he was on the phone to his BMW dealer when he crashed into the roundabout...

If you can use a handheld in an emergency, wouldn't everyone just use that as an excuse, officer..?

IIRC, it's a quirk within the law that allows 2 way radios but not mobile phones. Pretty much all police vehicles are handsfree now, but there are sometimes problems when you are listening to 2 or more channels at once.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake . In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck arguing that you weren't overtaking on the left, you were just going with the traffic flow! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of points of interest.

I was listening to BBC 3 Counties a while back when they were doing an interview with a traffic officer based at Toddington Services.

He said a motorway is in effect a one way system and therefore as long as you continue in your lane you are not undertaking. If you move into the left lane pass the slower car then move back into the right lane this is undertaking and you would be pulled over.

Ever since then Ive not worried too much about passing cars on the left, IMO as long as you only move to the right lane to overtake a slower car ahead, you have just continued in your lane and would have a reasonable arugument if pulled over 169144-ok.gif Of course I'm not on about flying past the other cars and cutting them up as long as you drive reasonably it shouldnt be a problem.

As for the 2 way radio topic I can confirm that they are exempt beerchug.gif

The highway code has been quoted a few times also, am I right in saying that its not really worth the paper its written on as far as the courts are concerned, i.e. its only a guide really, not law?

I believe the bold bits in the Highway Code, the bits that say "you must (not)" etc. are statutory requirements. The rest is a code, but failure to take its advice will go against you in court.

Using phones in emergencies legally refers to things such as being chased by a murderer and using your phone to contact police as you try to escape in your car... hardly an every day excuse.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I was coming onto the A19 last week, and everyone bunched up into the right lane to overtake a van that was going rather slow. I saw a jag in lane 1 absolutely floor it, in an effort to undertake the 12 or so cars in the right lane. As there was a 'safe gap' to pull in, I indicated and drifted into lane 1. I've never seen a bonnet drop so fast. he must have totally slammed his anchors on. Needless to say, he backed off, and decided to stay behind me for the duration of the road!

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's the thing though, why are 12 cars queued up on the outside lane to overtake anyway? And how many of them then moved into the left lane after overtaking?

Probably not many.

If I had sat behind 12 cars for a mile or so and no progress was being made I would be inclined to do the same thing as the Jag as technically the 12 cars on the outside are not overtaking anything and that is what the outside lane is for.

It doesn't mean I'd boot it up the inside and then dive out, I drive up the inside up to a safe distance behind the lorry for example. I then indicate and if allowed, move out. Not my fault that the divs on the outside lane have no lane discipline in the first place and then let me join the outside lane which is often common.

And I have argued this with a police officer to the point he agreed because I was not breaking the speed limit whilst travelling up the left lane and I was not driving inconsiderately.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll know this road P_G - it's the A19 just after the moorfarm r/bout. If you're coming off the r/bout, you have to enter the road in lane 2, as lane 1 is the filter lane. This guy tooled it before anyone had a chance to pull over (I did as soon as there was a safe gap) and the traffic wasn't bunching per se, it was going to overtake the van, but traffic was either getting prepared to pull in, or overtake.

I do the same as you!

Um there are police on the roads?

Last year I drove down from Thurso to Surrey and back and didn't see one marked car on the roads until Birmingham on the RETURN trip! I was travelling with a retired traffic cop who was disgusted by this.

regarding the 2way radio I think that the main reason they are ok is you don't have to dial a number or look up contacts send sms etc. with the radio you just have the transmit, also the nature of radio calls is different to a full 2 way phone call

She was pretty fit though, so negotiation might have been possible.

I it was good enough for Cannonball Run, it's good enough for me :-)

Damn... I shoulda spotted the TWO PAGES of intervening posts after my last comment.

Duhhhh....

[ QUOTE ]

Um there are police on the roads?

Last year I drove down from Thurso to Surrey and back and didn't see one marked car on the roads until Birmingham on the RETURN trip! I was travelling with a retired traffic cop who was disgusted by this.

regarding the 2way radio I think that the main reason they are ok is you don't have to dial a number or look up contacts send sms etc. with the radio you just have the transmit, also the nature of radio calls is different to a full 2 way phone call

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cos they are all in the office doing paperwork, and policing from their desk!