Remap - DMS vs Chiptek UK

ACA_Chap

Guys

I'm thinking of getting my car remapped.

Both companies do ECUremapping and can get 260BHP which is great.

My confusion comes at the prices:

Chiptek are doing it for £300

DMS do it for £800

From what I can see they both flash the ECU which should take an hour or so, and don't offer rolling road.

Has anyone any idea why the large disparity in prices, and recommendations?

Cheers

Neg the price with DMS Automotive. A friend had his 330D remapped by them and they came down to £600, just over the phone.

A lot of the difference in price has to do with the cost of running the business - I've no idea who Chiptek are, how big they are or where they're based, but given the amount of advertising that DMS do in mags like CAR and EVO, I'm not surprised they start at that price. www.amdtechnik.com are in a similar price bracket to DMS, once you add VAT onto their web advertised prices.

Mook - thanks for the reply.

I've already tried negotiating, but they are standing firm on £700 + VAT

Do you know if the product which they offer is the same? I'm a little worried that Chiptek may not be as well tested. I understand they use remaps programmed by a German company called OBD tuning with a Optican flasher, but I've never heard of either of these.

Can any one shed any light on either Chiptek or Angel tuning (as they are a similar price). I guess what I'm getting at is, are the remaps the same from company to company?

If you pay too much you lose a little - if you pay too little you may lose everything !

DMS are a reputable ,if expensive, company who have been around for some time. I've never heard of the other two. OBD tuning is, I think the way it is done not the name of the company. OCT is an Austrian company.According to Audi Driver this month Milltek are trying out one of their remaps on a TT, with good results.

OBD Tuning is of the of the biggest and best tuning software companies in the world!!!! check out there website www.obdtuning.no We only use there maps when customers ask for TUV aproved maps, Usualy we use programmers in the UK.

Our prices are lower than the big companies to attract buisness away from them. Most people cant see past a brand name which is what you are paying for from the above companies. I use some of the best programmers in the country, and for TUV approved maps, in the world.

Our maps are also custom to each car and can be specific to customer needs, which belive it or not - you dont always get from bigger companies.

Try us, you wont be dissapointed.

I'm pondering remapping my 3.0TDI.

Some questions...

Your website looks awfully amateurish. (No offence, just my opinion)

How many remaps have you (chiptek) done? - and how many on an Audi A4 3.0 TDI engine? Why is there so little info on your website - such as expected Nm/BHP gains.

What gains should I expect. How is it custom made for my car exactly. From your site, it looks like you've bought an Optican flasher unit and simply upload some new params via the OBD. Why do the suppliers of the Optican refer to optional insurance for the engine if remapping is so foolproof?

Not being awkward - I just want to know my £30K+ baby is in safe hands!

Any other info appreciated....

Hi, in response to the above, (thanks for the comlements by the way)

Our website is our secondry means of winning customers, we get most of our buisness through recomendations, and some through advertising, although i agree it is in need of modernisation.

Companies who advertise bhp/nm gains on there website must use the same map or settings for each make/model of car they do(generic maps). The level of individuality from each of our maps depends on the customer and the car. We can provide maps specific for cars with mods ie. air filters/exhausts, tune for race days, tune for better fuel econemy, tune for better performance on the road, what ever the customer wants basicly.

OBD Tuning offer insurance to satisfy the end users and their insurance companys, because dont forget you must inform your insurance company of any moddifications you make to your car. If you have had your car mapped and have insurance against any damages via another party, your insurance company will look at it in a different light - ie they wont have to pay if anything goes wrong-and should keep the extra cost as small as possible.

from a remap you can expect to achieve around an extra 45 bhp and an extra 90nm of tourque which is very noticable. You can get a bit more out of these cars but they can suffer from drivetrain rummble.

Nice car by the way!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Chiptek should you be advertising your services via your signature and avatar? Seems a bit unfair on other folks who subscribe to banner advertising here.

Just an observation. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone started a thread asking specifically about his service. What's he supposed to do? crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that sigs weren't meant to promote products/services or gain free advertising. I'm not saying at all that he shouldn't post or be a member. Just that I thought advertising wasn't encouraged on a member's sig etc. ECU Tuner Will got comments for even having that as his login name IIRC and subsequently asked to change it. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, ACA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, no problems here Sparky.

So is the general consensus that there isn't much difference between the large turners (e.g. Revo) to the smaller ones (e.g. Chiptek)?

I'm not affiliated with either, I just want some impartial advice.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

Companies who advertise bhp/nm gains on there website must use the same map or settings for each make/model of car they do(generic maps)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I am not going to start to argue here, but please dont talk rubbish.

I have discussed many points with long-term members on this forum, and respect their knowledge.

This is why you shouldn't state very silly things..

BHP and Torque figures are posted on many very reputable companies websites, to give vehicle owners a guide as to what to expect from their vehicle.

I am actually shocked that an ''established tuning company'' would makes such a statement.

I dont want to fall out here, but to say that companies advertising figure increases do not re-map from the original data is nonsense.

[ QUOTE ]

OBD Tuning is of the of the biggest and best tuning software companies in the world!!!! check out there website www.obdtuning.no

[/ QUOTE ]

Have I missed something here? The company above that you say you work with states performance gains for all their vehicles?? Im confused now smashfreakB.gif

I will not hijack the thread further, but dont want member mislead.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with vtec_killer - i just got good things to say about angel!

[/ QUOTE ]

A question for you and VTEC Killer, if and when you used angel had they remaped cars like yours. This is the problem I forsee is that there are many claims, actual and projected, but when it comes down to it little in supporting evidence against certain models they can actually say have been remapped and produce either results or testimonials.

I'm not advocating that all tuners have to produce r/r results as this itself is subjective and I do partly subsribe to the 'it's how you feel it responds better' philosophy, however by altering fueling and ignition timing sequences could achieve this but perhaps no to their optimum.

Plus I would feel far more confident in a tuner in my case who could say they had remapped a B6 S4 V8 for example.

If this had happened in your case/s then I understand you recommending them, but it may not be as easy for tohers to feel confident in what they say as perhaps you are. 169144-ok.gif