R8 - what are people with orders doing about it?

Merlot

I can't decide what to do - there's stories going round about cancelled orders, the car being over priced, people waiting for the V10, the roadster version etc etc.

I find the car deeply appealing (looks, magnetic dampers, easy servicing) and 0-100 mph in not much over 10s is fast enough really. However, the standard spec is low and I'm up to £82k for a manual car without much effort.

If I can drop £10k in a year then I don't mind (I'm getting a pretty early car) but is it going to be £25k? Also I want manual but will that be hammered?

I'm in a similar position:

+ love the looks of the car

+ get an early car and enjoy for a short period then maybe I won't lose too much?

- really want the V10

- am concerned that the car is way overpriced

- not sure it will be usable everyday like my 911 (too conspicous to be left in the station car park..)

Struggling to know what to do.....!!

sidicks

This is a really difficult one, as the star letter in evo mag suggests, the RS4 has the same engine, most of the performance but with much more practicality thrown in.

Unfortunately sidicks, "people like you" wink.gif who buy the car hoping to enjoy it and shift it early for near full-price will push prices lower. For every 100 purchasers, there may be 20 who will think along the same lines, and suddenly 20 nearly-new cars hit autotrader etc. People think "why so many for sale?, there must be something wrong with them" or "loads for sale, I'll take my time choosing".

It's nothing new, it happens with just about every prestige marque/model with a waiting list.

... and another thing! Options lists piss me off. My RS6 came with a few options, but even a standard RS6 is loaded, there are no "must haves".

Now the options go on, and on, and on. My local dealer has a Q7 starting at 37k, but with options, 53k. In my opinion, the "must haves" should already be included in premium cars.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't decide what to do - there's stories going round about cancelled orders, the car being over priced, people waiting for the V10, the roadster version etc etc.

I find the car deeply appealing (looks, magnetic dampers, easy servicing) and 0-100 mph in not much over 10s is fast enough really. However, the standard spec is low and I'm up to £82k for a manual car without much effort.

If I can drop £10k in a year then I don't mind (I'm getting a pretty early car) but is it going to be £25k? Also I want manual but will that be hammered?

[/ QUOTE ]

Merlot IMHO I think you should wait.............. See how the car sells, not listen to audi bull on waiting lists, we've all seen of late that said waiting lists rearly reflect the truth. beerchug.gif, without doubt this car is overpriced, and first models are being released with poor specs and big options lists, the car is in no way practical,so it's weekends /track days the like.

Porsche on the other hand can be used to the full and you know RV will hold up. In the end it will be a secondhand bargin and almost certainly a second car purchase ,so as has been stated people will chose the ones with ALL the toys and the BIG V10 engine where possible. 169144-ok.gif

Unfortunately the market in top end motors is very fickle now and people are adopting the Ferrari approach to ownership - selling quickly to move on and try something else (its amazing how many five year old eight cylinder Ferrari's have had five owners). The real acid test to how the market has changed is how well the new M3 is doing a year in.

For my mind the R8 is £10k+ too expensive but I've paid a deposit as have many others. I have no intention of speculating and if I cancel I will do just that...but it does look capivating and I would never buy a Gallardo because of worries about fragility, the cost of services, the fact that I live too far from a Lambo agent and the fact that, like Ferraris', miles destroy values.

I would say buy it, enjoy it, and sell it when the time feels right (be that 6 months or 6 years). I think it will be a realy head turner and is bound to be a good drive (maybe not exceptional, but more than good enough for the british roads!) at the very least.

But it's not my money FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would say buy it, enjoy it, and sell it when the time feels right (be that 6 months or 6 years). I think it will be a realy head turner and is bound to be a good drive (maybe not exceptional, but more than good enough for the british roads!) at the very least.

But it's not my money FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its interesting to think that for £82k you could possibly get one of the new Ferrari Dinos for the same price. Admittedly this will not be launched for a couple of years but interestingt to see who Audi will be competing with in years to come.

1019238-ferrari_dino.jpg

post-1505-137914384738_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its interesting to think that for £82k you could possibly get one of the new Ferrari Dinos for the same price. Admittedly this will not be launched for a couple of years but interestingt to see who Audi will be competing with in years to come.

1019238-ferrari_dino.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

FIREdevil.gif

Yep looks like a "No Contest" to me. 169144-ok.gif

Yeh, but the Dino will be out three years after the R8, you won't be able to get one, if you do more than 5k miles pa you won't be able to sell it and it will crash if you try and drive it in the winter. Oh and in the end it will probably be £15-20k more than the R8. Still like the look of it though.