Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
25thAnni

Having to sell my .:R

20 posts in this topic

I'm having to change the car due to a new job & i'm going to need something more economical...which is a bummer as its starting to loosen quite nicely now, typical eh?

Can i ask your views on how much my R is now worth?

FYI it was registered end of August, 4700 miles, UK car, black with leather int, CD Changer, Armrest & tinted windows.

All opinions appreciated 169144-ok.gif

I'd wait a while if you can. never a good time to sell around chrimbo. dealers will insult you, so just be patient in the classifieds. What was it new? around 26-27k?!?!

Privately about £22,500-£23,000 max, trade in could be anywhere from £19k upwards - your dealer might buy it back for around £21-£22k if your lucky.

I'm being quite specific because I had a 325ci Sport coupe (facelifted) that was £26.5k new, I sold it after 4 months and these were the figures i was offered. I can't see an .:R being that different TBH. 169144-ok.gif

It's always painfull (i've done it twice, but when it's gotta go, it's gotta go!!!)

Jesus LeMan thats sounds painful. I'm looking to try to get rid for 23-24K if i can selling it privately. I will wait until after chrimbo, not only for the reasons you put but that i can't be arsed with the hassle before hand. The good thing is i don't have to sell straight away, i can wait 1-2 months but anymore that that would be silly.

Good news though is the hunt for a replacement... which always brings a smile to my face 169144-ok.gif

If you just want something more economical this is not the best thing to do.

You will lose so much on the car that this will not be a worthwhile thing to do, you will lose £3000+ by selling, that will buy a lot of petrol. Thats at least 3000 litres of fuel or 50 tankfulls. Your new more economical car will have to save you that much before you start to save money.

He does have a very valid point... but it's a phsycological decision IMO. If the car doesn't feel worth the running costs then it's a deppressing situation, regardless of initial outlay and depreciation. What's your new budget BTW?

I drove a 120d, it was awesome, RWD and bags of torque.

Not everyones taste I know, but you can get them for around 14k now!

As LeMan says, having just recently traded one in it is not the best time and they are not holding their price as well as the MK4 did IMO but if you are going to do it now is the time otherwise it is just going to keep falling. Good luck with whatever you decide beerchug.gif

You should definitely consider what wytco0 says. Work out how long it would be before changing was financially "viable"... you might be surprised just how long it is not worth changing the .:R for 169144-ok.gif

The other option is keep the .:R for fun and weekends, and get a cheap (<1K car) to drive to work.... there is plenty to be had for that price....

Sam Ds other suggestion is what I do, we have a Aygo for most driving and the .:R is for fun, the Aygo does about 50+ MPG costs £40 to tax and about £180 to insure, plus its great in town.

I like to average the two out, that way the .:R does not seem expensive to run ;-)

i did toy with the idea of having another "work" type car but that would mean 3 cars in the household were paying for which i don't want to do. Having a weekend car isn't for me yet, maybe it is for the future, but for now i can't see the point as i'm away 5 days a week & my missus wants my time for the weekend.

I'm not only concerned with the mpg's but with deprieciation with the more miles i'll start putting onto it. As Leman says its phsycological as i'll always feel i'm not getting the best i can if that makes sense...but i do take wytco0 points on-board beerchug.gif

I've been looking at BMW 320/330D's although the 120d m-sport is growing on me also. Budget is unsure, missus is wanting to use some money for finishing the house! so anywhere from 19K-25K

It doesn't work like that though does it wytc0?

No matter how you look at it the car has lost 3k in value. So it's as simple as 'losing 3k + high fuel bills = keeping it' or 'losing 3k and low fuel bills = getting rid'.

simple.... buy the missus a push-bike so she can contribute to the fuel saving - and keep the .:R grin.gif

bike.thumb.gif

Bonzo, by getting rid of the R32 you are really converting the depreciation into an actual £3000+ loss, assuming that you then by another car you will also be sitting on another likely potential loss as well. Your ignoring the loss on the second (replacement) car.

So yes it does work like that ;-)

Funnily enough i did make that bike.thumb.gif suggestion to her along with getting the Metro/buses to work... why are my palms so hairy i keep asking myself mmm smashfreakB.gif

I have also noticed that the second hand values on the mk5 aren't holding up too well at the moment.

Anyone in the trade know if it is particular to the mk 5 R, or is it generally the same across the whole market at the moment?

I got 22k for mine on PX with a dealer (not VW), although I did have offers of 19k from some of the dealers I rang.

So no Values arn't holding up well fr the Mk5

After having so many issue with my Recarros, I went and had a look at a few other cars and was thinking of changing. Audi offered me 24k part ex on mine on an S4..

Still considering it.. 169144-ok.gif

24K from Audi! i would snap someones hands off for that. Maybe i'll have to change to an A4, nice motors but got told recently it would look like i'm driving my Dads car ECLIPSe.gif

Going to hit some stealers today for test drives, opinions etc first up is a drive in an 330d BMW

What sort of mileage are you going to be doing, and how much of an increase is it from what you were doing?

I can see some logic in the comments people have made regarding keeping the 'R' and avoiding taking a depreciation hit right now, but I'm also of the mind that keeping the 'R' and putting serious miles on it will kill its resale value. They are the sort of cars that most people don't put huge miles on, so selling it on with above-average miles on it is always going to be tough. Couple that with the fortune you'll have spent on fuel and it could be very nasty indeed. blush.gif

Personally, I'd either buy something cheap and keep the R32, or go for a quality 12 month old low mileage diesel so that you can clock up a fair few before it's classed as a high miler.

Hi R32Ash. I've normally averaged around 7-9K miles per year, but i'm enjoying the car so much i've stuck 5K on since mid Aug. I could be doing an additional 20K per year on top of my 7-9K so that could add to 30K miles per year. I think i'd get a better price & deal with lower miles on it.

The 330d test drive never came about. I must have still been p!ssed from my night out in the toon as not long after i wrote the message my hangover kicked in & i went to bed!! dire for a 30yr old smashfreakB.gif