320d MSport

sms720

Hi

I am in the early stages of speccing a 320d MSport and have a few questions to current owners about the decent options to include.

I definitely want it in Saphire Black probably with Black Leather unless anyone can convince me of a different interior colour (photos please!)

I would also want the 18" M Star Spoke alloys as I think they look ace.

What options are a must? (1. because they are good, 2. to help future value)

I aim to keep the car 3 years.

Thanks

Simon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive had my 320d m sport fo a couple of weeks my spec is:

18" m stars

pro sat nav

xenons

heated seats

rear arm rest

auto lights

ext mirror pack

and le mans blue,

i had the same problem as you but went for the 320d because the tax and insurance was more for the 330d it was more to buy and was i realy going to use that extra power all the time,the answer was no,and to be honest i dont regret it,its refined when on the move and its hard to tell its diesel.

I test drove one in the summer, see my review here:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/854090/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Might be worth looking at the 520d m sport also, im ordering one early next year. The performance between the 3 and 5 with the 2 litre diesel is almost identical due to the ali parts used in the 5.

See my 5 series review here:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=1

169144-ok.gif

I would go for the 335d, they only reason most people go for the smaller car is better MPG, however I am only getting around 5mpg more from our 120d than I got in my 535d.

If you start to add options to the 320d you are right, the finance starts to not be too far behind the cost of a 335d, the sensible thing to do is by a 3 month old 335d, you should be able to get a very good deal if you move quickly as it is coming to the end of teh year.

gIzzE I will be getting Gareth to sort it all out so I am hoping he can get 335d at a good price for me (fingers crossed)

Just looking at your signature do you think the Logic 7 Amp & Speakers is worth the upgrade, I love my music and am used to the BOSE system in the A3 and the truely sh*t system in the Saab! (which is going by the way)

Also do you like the Black/Black combination on your 1-Series as I think that is what I am going to go for?

169144-ok.gif

Regards

Si

This is a nightmare, I am torn between my sensible head which says I should get a 320D and enjoy the 45-50mpg and my "fun" head which says I should get a 335D which would be an immensly joyous car to own and drive but I would probably only get ~35mpg.

My last 2 cars have been the A3 TDI Quattro (130bhp) which averaged about 42-44mpg and the Saab which is very frugal at about 47mpg. My other half had a 225bhp TT for a year though and that was mega fun and averaged about 22-25mpg.

Because I have only ever had "practical" diesels I am worried that I will over time get a bit pee'd off by the low MPG. But then 35mpg is not that low really!! Arrrgghhh.

The sound system is awesome, I always rip out the standard speakers and put in Genesis or Rainbow components and Genesis amps, but this one I really haven't needed to, I hated the Bose in my A3 S-Line, flabby bass and far to sharp at the top end, the stereo in the 1 series and new 3 series is fantastic.

I took it down to who I usually use and he agreed, would need to spend a hell of alot to better it.

I got 44.5mpg from my A3 tdi, I got 33mpg from my 320d touring, 28mpg from my 535d and currently showing 31mpg from the 120d auto.

Buy the 335d, simple as that!!

How much are the new cars once specced?? Then look at what they will be worth after 2 or 3 years, bet there isn't that much in them.

Sytners had a touring with everything on it up for £38k and they will drop to £35k, has less than a 100 miles on it, new list price was £42k, so dealers will haggle.

lombard would give me a balloon of £21k on that car after 36 months, from memory with a £3500 deposit that worked out at £441 a month. That is a lot of car for the money.

Popped down the stealers yesterday and test drove a 320D MSport and a 325D Msport back to back.

Firstly I have to say how brilliant both cars drove and handled. I have owned several Audi's before the Saab and none of them have handled quite as well as the 3. The cars felt so planted and poised and the steering was extremely precise. Also I must say how good is the MSport Steering wheel - best I have ever used.

As for performance both were quicker than my Saab and the 6-cylinder sounds so good when you open it up. I can't imagine what a 330D or 335D is like performance wise as both cars I drove yesterday had more than enough power for me.

It has been a tough choice but depending on finance options I will probably opt for a well spec'd 320D MSport and save the extra cash on VED, Insurance, Fuel over the 3 years I plan to own it.

Absolute respect to anyone who has a 330D/335D I would imagine you would have to work hard restraining yourself from hooning it everywhere!!!

My current choice of options includes:

320D MSport Saloon

18" M Star Wheels

Saphire Black

Dakota Black Leather

Sat Nav - Business

Bluetooth

Logic 7

Auto Mirrors

Auto Lights/Rain Sensor

Thanks for everyones input so far.

The 330d felt positively sluggish after my mapped 535d, definitely try a 335d before you decide.

I think the 320d is too high a spec, you will loose thousands in the first year.

I bought a 320d se touring at 10 months old for £17k, it had nav, leather, auto, upgraded stereo and a few other bits and came in at £29k new, I sold it a year later for £14750, best trade in offer was £11900 which was book price.

At the same time my mate bought an import 330d with the same spec, it cost him £34k, he sold it 3 years later for £22k, at that time 320d's were getting near the £10k mark.

Stop and really think about it.

If you buy a 330d manual you will get just short of 40mpg, this would be a far better bet if you want all that spec.

[ QUOTE ]

2006 BMW 3 SERIES 3000 cc 330d M Sport 5dr

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Diesel, 7,080 miles, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Luggage compartment pack - 3 Series Touring,Velour floor mats,Storage compartment pack - 3 Series Touring 325/330/335,Front/rear Parking distance control,Professional navigation system,BMW Assist,Voice control system,Sliding Front Armrest. £29,850. For an even greater choice of cars click the Dealer Website link or for us to contact you click the Contact Dealer link

Sytner Leicester BMW

Price: £29,850

Tel: (0116) 2827700

Distance: 97 miles

[/ QUOTE ]

Ring up and offer £27k, bet they would take it at the moment. 169144-ok.gif

Ain't that the truth!! smile.gif

Like he says, why would you need anything quicker?? Well you don't, until you get bored and hanker for more, then you will wish you had bought the 325d, or the 330d, and you get the 330d and you wish you had gone for teh 335d.

I have heard people say they wish they had gone for the bigger car, never have I heard someone say they wished they had bought teh smaller one.

[ QUOTE ]

It has been a tough choice but depending on finance options I will probably opt for a well spec'd 320D MSport and save the extra cash on VED, Insurance, Fuel over the 3 years I plan to own it.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are the reasons i went the 320d m sport route,i got one brand new,with the spec/colour i wanted,and it was cheaper than 55/06 330d's.

in 3 years time the brand new 320d you have will probably not be worth that much less than a second hand 330d that you can afford now,if you get my point,as the 330d will be 4 yrs old,if you get it soon at 1 year old,and the 320d brand new for a similar price,im not explaining it that well i know,but its horses for courses. 169144-ok.gif

I am not saying there is anything wrong in buying a new 320d m-sport, what I am saying is don't take it to the price of a 335d with options.

You can buy a brand new 335d m-sport auto for £30k. You don't really need to add any options to it, they are just nice to have, I would buy a 335d with the m-sport alcantara and nav over a 335d with leather and no nav.

I think for £32k you could be in a 335d with nav and bluetooth, or just under £30k for a 330d m-sport with nav, bluetooth leather and xenons.

Just be careful where you buy from and how much you pay, it is easy to get excited and and say 'oh well, teh 320d was as much as the 335d from somewhere else but it was easy.'

http://www.coast2coastcars.co.uk/quote.p...p;x=83&y=13

Did you see the link??

Vehicle Details

Vehicle BMW 3-Series Saloon diesel SALOON 320d M Sport 4dr

Factory Options Bluetooth telephone connectivity

Professional navigation system

Hi fi LOGIC7 professional loudspeaker system

Rain sensor + automatic driving lights control

Dakota leather upholstery

Additional Options

Basic Price £22591.49

Factory Options Price £3757.45

Discount £4479.32

Additional Options Price £0.00

Sub Total £21869.62

Manufacturer's Delivery Cost £474.04

Admin. Charge £300.00

VAT £3962.64

Road Fund Licence (12 months) £135.00

First Registration Fee £38.00

ON THE ROAD PRICE £26779.30

TOTAL SAVING £4910.70

or

Vehicle BMW 3-Series Saloon diesel SALOON 330d M Sport 4dr

Factory Options Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics

Hi-fi loudspeaker system

Blue shadow cloth/alcantara upholstery

Blue shadow cloth/alcantara - Black

Additional Options

Basic Price £26974.47

Factory Options Price £2463.83

Discount £5004.51

Sub Total £24433.79

Admin. Charge £300.00

VAT £4411.37

Road Fund Licence (12 months) £160.00

ON THE ROAD PRICE £29817.20

TOTAL SAVING £5527.80

This would be mine...

Vehicle BMW 3-Series Saloon diesel SALOON 335d M Sport 4dr Auto

Rear park distance control

Voice control system (When chosen with bluetooth interface)

Hi-fi loudspeaker system

Bi-Xenon headlights

Blue shadow cloth/alcantara upholstery

Metallic - Le Mans blue

Metallic - Sparkling graphite

Blue shadow cloth/alcantara - Black

Brushed aluminium interior trim

Additional Options

Basic Price £29740.43

Factory Options Price £2829.79

Discount £5536.94

Sub Total £27033.28

Admin. Charge £300.00

VAT £4866.28

Road Fund Licence (12 months) £195.00

ON THE ROAD PRICE £32906.60

TOTAL SAVING £6153.40

smile.gif

or...

Vehicle BMW Alpina Saloon SALOON D3 4dr

Factory Options Metallic - Sparkling graphite

Cloth/leather - Anthracite

19" Classic alloy wheels

Additional Options

Basic Price £22680.85

Factory Options Price £0.00

Discount £1134.04

Sub Total £21546.81

Manufacturer's Delivery Cost £554.89

Admin. Charge £300.00

VAT £3920.30

Road Fund Licence (12 months) £135.00

ON THE ROAD PRICE £26494.99

TOTAL SAVING £1055.00

45mpg, 200bhp and exclusive!!

I have just sent off for a proper quote on the following...

Vehicle BMW 3-Series Estate diesel TOURING 335d M Sport 5dr Auto

Rear parking distance control

Voice control system (When chosen with bluetooth interface)

Hi fi LOGIC7 professional loudspeaker system

Individual sun protection dark tinted glazing for rear window and rear side door windows

Metallic paint

Xenon headlights

Dakota leather upholstery

Folding front centre armrest + storage

Heated front seats

Metallic - Sparkling graphite

Comfort access system

Brushed aluminium trim

Dakota leather - Lemon

Additional Options

Basic Price £30736.17

Factory Options Price £5706.40