Rock and a hard place

Yahoo

The rock being my Laser Blue '05 DSG GTI that I have cherrished from new. I have now got all rattles and irritations sorted. It pulls and handles like a steam train (not an Aston!), but unfortunately only has 2 doors.

The hard place is the worm that I currently have burrowing through my every thought - a BMW 335i saloon. Currently available new, from an online broker for under £30 000. It has 5 doors, is refined and goes like a 305bhp, 300lbft, twin turbo'd steam train.

Dr Jackel is telling me that I have only had the GTI for 18 months (intended to keep for 3 years), but Mr Hyde says 'You only live once, where do I sign?'.

Any suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]

Try and go for the M Sport if you can, money well spent. beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct - for the extra £££, there are some pretty impressive upgrades included with the m-sport pack. The quote of under £30 000 was for an m-sport 335i - almost £5 000 discount for a car that has only been available for 4 months. beerchug.gif

At this rate I will have signed on the dotted line by the end of the day - keep 'em comin.

Hi Yahoo,

I'm going through a similar dilemma although my choice of weapon would be the 335i Touring for family reasons.

At the moment I'm purposefully not going to test drive the Beemer because if I do, I'd probarbly not be able to resist the temptation and I'd buy one! But the GTI is the best all rounder I've owned and generally a great car.

My advice is to buy the Beemer and let me know what I'm missing. FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about a 335d mate 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True, the 335d is pretty much as quick in the realworld - and cheaper to run - but I suspect the problem comes with the discount offered. With all the media hype about increased taxation I'm told BMW can't give away their big petrol engined models. I'm sure it can't be quite that bad - though 5k seems to suggest it might be!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about a 335d mate 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the media hype about increased taxation I'm told BMW can't give away their big petrol engined models. I'm sure it can't be quite that bad - though 5k seems to suggest it might be!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would reckon that comment extends to 4X4's as well.

The writing is on the wall for all large capacity "gas guzzlers" the government is going to tax them off the road.

You will be paying 1K plus a year to tax a vehicle of this type in the very near future (after the next general election of course), and in the current environmental climate change debate who the feck is going to argue/complain with any effect?

VW have seen the light with there 1.4 FSI unit, they have not gone that route for fun, there are sound economic & business reasons for doing so. SPericani2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

ive already taken the plunch and ordered a new 335d coupe. WIll be really really sorry to see the gti go in feb but onwards and upwrds

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry - what are you doing with the GTI? Selling privately or part-ex?

Interested to hear your comparison between the feel of the 335 diesel compared to your chipped GTI and how did you get on with the Auto box?

Well Ive it traded in to the dealer im buying the bmw off, but a friend of mine has just said he would be interested in buying it, so dont know what to do realy.

With regards the auto box, I test drove the 335i with the new box and I must say it was excellent, really positive feel from it, and very fast changes. Normally I would always go for a manual but lately ive really been thinking how much more comfort there is with an auto. Must be getting old !!!