Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tunbridge

S3 with no Sat Nav

39 posts in this topic

I seen a few posts on here with people worrying about specing Sat Nav or not due to worries about resale value. Also all the demos people have driven seem to have Sat Nav and seem to be fairly well spec'ed.

When I was at Teesside Audi yesterday I spotted they had two S3's in (one was Silver, the other Sprint Blue) and neither had the Sat Nav, or the Flat bottom steering wheel or the buckets, or any decent options for that matter. Seemed strange.

I have to say the interior looks miles better on the photos where the Sat Nav / flat bottom steering wheel is fitted. Expensive but worth it for the looks alone IMO.

Just a shame I don't have a spare 30k to buy one!

I definately wouldn't have one without the flat steering wheel but Satnav is a bit subjective. The car costs £2,500 (with Bose) less to buy so expect it to be worth £2k ish less come resale time.

I would not put nav on an S3. S4's now book with nav which give it a 100% residual so its a no brainer but for an S3 I would guess a £1000 premium come resale with nav so I would not bother.

The S3 that I have ordered does not have the flat bottomed steering wheel or the Sat Nav.

It may be worth less come trade in time but on the other hand it has cost me less now!

Cheers, prt57

I think there are two ways to look at it, if you are buying cash it makes little difference if you have it or not, if you are financing it you may as well, the interest on £2k is bugger all, and you will get it back I reckon.

I think you would be very very lucky to get the full 2k back come resale time. Yes there are exceptions to the rule but typically you will only get 50% back on it and thats on cars that expect it.

On an S3 I'd say its boarder line to be honest. I certainly wouldn't add it on if it was mine as a company car as it costs a fair amount extra every month and if it was my cash and I was already pushing things I'd rather spend it else were, but hey thats me.

I think many many people won't and those that do might see a slight advantage come resale but nothing major. pengy.gif

Completely disagree, if you are trading it a dealer may only pay you another grand, although I bet the guides will book the S3 with nav and a £1500-2000 penalty for not having it, but if you sell privately it will be worth £2k more than one without.

I got £21k for my tdi s-line A3 when there were other cars at dealers for £19k the same age and spec but no nav, same with the cab, put nav in and got £28k from a dealer when they were selling for £25k with no nav, in fact I paid £26k for the car with no nav 6 months and 12k miles before that.

How many dealer demos have no nav?? That will tell you if it is expected or not.

...or it will tell you that dealers putting nav in demos is an easy way of them getting another £300 profit on a sale.

Whilst I appreciate that lots of people like it, this whole nav thing is driving me mad. I hardly ever use it and so much of forums' space is taken up by nav discussions rather than driving (SORRY).

PS My on order TTR2 has magnetic ride and no nav. No, I don't want to hang the tail out etc but appreciate a good drive....and tend to know where I am going!

Whether you use it or not isn't really relevant, the fact is that nav has become a must-have feature for a lot of buyers. When everyone and their dog has an aftermarket Tomtom, Garmin or whatever in their car, buyers of premium models expect a bit more, which in this case is integrated nav. Most people buying a fully kitted up S3, even on the used market, will be turned off by the lack of the nav unit.

We had a similar situation years back with one of my bosses when he bought a Discovery (original model). He didn't want or need 5 doors so went for the 3 door model (yes they did one back then) as it was cheaper. When the time came to sell he couldn't shift it for love nor money as no-one wanted a 3 door Disco. He had to take a major hit on the price to sell it.

I'm pretty surprised the "S" models dont get Nav at a reduced price seeing as they are the top model (well the S3 is if not the 4....)

[ QUOTE ]

Whether you use it or not isn't really relevant, the fact is that nav has become a must-have feature for a lot of buyers. When everyone and their dog has an aftermarket Tomtom, Garmin or whatever in their car, buyers of premium models expect a bit more, which in this case is integrated nav. Most people buying a fully kitted up S3, even on the used market, will be turned off by the lack of the nav unit.

We had a similar situation years back with one of my bosses when he bought a Discovery (original model). He didn't want or need 5 doors so went for the 3 door model (yes they did one back then) as it was cheaper. When the time came to sell he couldn't shift it for love nor money as no-one wanted a 3 door Disco. He had to take a major hit on the price to sell it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your stop on there Vertigo - Merlot slightly surprised at you mate regarding nav I dont think it will be too long before they are standard in most cars.

I personally think Dealer Sat-nav for 2k is a total and utter rip off plain and simple.

If you want the totally installed look then fair enough but the aftermarket Tomtom type solutions offer far better systems with far more features that is in no doubt.

I disagree with your comments wholeheartedly Gizze with respect to how it helps resale that's twaddle. On a high end car maybe but not on something like an S3. If you have a look at most of the cars on the forecourts of BMW or Audi garages at the 20-30k mark a tiny tiny fraction probably less than 10% have it fitted. So what should be expected ?!?!? Bizarre....

Oh and as for the diving comments your spot on.. but lets face it until very recently buying an Audi for its handling wouldn't be top of the discussion list would it. grin.gif

I don't think there's much dispute that the £2k Audi charge for the nav is a bit of a rip off but you can always retro-fit it if you want to save money.

As for Tomtom offering far better systems with far more features I couldn't disagree more. Yes they're cheaper and can be easier to program due to the touch screen but in all other ways I find my RNS-E far far superior to the TT5 I was using previously. The routing is better, the screen is bigger, the directions are clearer, the junction overlays are better, the DIS display is a godsend and it's just "there" when I need it rather than disconnecting and hiding away a standalone unit for fear of theft every time I leave the vehicle. If the aftermarket units were so much better, why would anyone buy OEM nav?

As for £20-30k cars not having nav as standard, this may be the case but I'd bet the percentage of people buying new in this price bracket and who are ordering nav with their cars is increasing at a very high rate. In a few years time, when you come to sell, OEM nav will be much more prevalent and thus used buyers will see more value in having an OEM solution.

It's not a question of whether it's reasonable to expect nav in such a car but more a case of how many vehicles are on the market with it compared to those without. If, in a few years time, there are a lot of used vehicles on the market with OEM nav then this will diminish the value of those without - this is basic market dynamics. Why would a potential buyer go for a car without nav if there are several to choose from with it and which have an otherwise identical, or very similar, spec? The answer is that they wouldn't and thus the seller would have to reduce the price to shift their car.

You may think that nav won't be much more prevalent in a few years time but, given that there's been an explosion in nav usage (of all types) over the past year or two, this would be a very dangerous assumption IMO. It wasn't that long ago that very few cars had aircon/climate, ABS/ESP and so forth yet many many buyers would now never consider a car without these features.

Sat-Nav has been the will be standard item for years and years. The only way it will become standard or if more people fit it is if they drop the price.

As for Tomtom being inferior I think we will have to agree to disagree to be honest as I think the Audi sat-nav is very poor in this respect. A Lexus Nav kicks it into touch with easy for OEM for a start.

I'd rather spend the money once and move it from car to car not 2k a time for each car and not get it back. But hey thats just me. wink.gif

As everyone has said the Sat Nav is a rip off.

Many of the above arguements on why you must have it are flawed however because:

1) Climate/ABS etc aren't easy/cheap to fit aftermarket so that is why people will always pay a premium for these devices.

2) Sat Nav is available in many forms and the TomTom/Garman devices are a real alternative to the manufacturer fitted systems and cheaper.

3) If you sell your car back to a dealer you're going to lose money anyway. You'd be better off selling privately.

Yes an S3 might be worth slightly less if it doesn't have Sat Nav as standard but you didn't pay the premium upfront.

Plus in a couple of years time the TomTom/Garmin systems will have come on in leaps and bounds and are likely to be cheaper and better than todays S3 system, so you could always offer on of those to a buyer.

Everyone has their choice, it's subjective, I wouldn't fit Sat Nav but each to their own 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sat-Nav has been the will be standard item for years and years. The only way it will become standard or if more people fit it is if they drop the price.

As for Tomtom being inferior I think we will have to agree to disagree to be honest as I think the Audi sat-nav is very poor in this respect. A Lexus Nav kicks it into touch with easy for OEM for a start.

I'd rather spend the money once and move it from car to car not 2k a time for each car and not get it back. But hey thats just me. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. I ran TomTom in conjunction with the Audi unit on a recent S3 demo drive and TomTom was "streets" ahead. Quicker recalculation when necessary, clearer instructions and I find the display better. Actually ended up turning the Audi system off as it was starting to annoy me.

Other plus points on mobile systems like TomTom are POI's for speed camera database (not that I exceed the speed limit of course!)

OEM SatNav is a complete Rip off and as far as resale is concerned, I personally havn't noticed any difference, however even if it does make £1-2k difference, whats the problem, you saved £2k+ by not installing it in the first place!

This is a debate which could go on forever, I guess we will all just have to agree to disagree depending on what camp you are in! Whatever the preference, its the driving experience that is important, not the toys!

regards

i have to agree on some of the points made. If you pay 2K or what ever for Nav then come selling time you may get a 'premium' over a car that doesn't and similarly if you don't spend the 2K or whatever on factory Nav then come selling time you may not get the 'premium' price that the car next to it has. My feelings are that its all relative.

Also you have to remember that not everyone has the spare pounds however much that may be to spec Nav or not, limits may be exhausted without specifing it as an option so again its relative as someone will no doubt be stretching to buy an S3 with no Nav/options at all come used buying time.

I think once you have had oem nav you would never go back, it isn't till you have had it that it really makes sense.

Also if you only do 12k miles a year, you can probably get your tom-tom out for the occasions you need it, those that do 25, 40 or 50k miles a year will definitley find nav essential.

[ QUOTE ]

I think once you have had oem nav you would never go back, it isn't till you have had it that it really makes sense.

Also if you only do 12k miles a year, you can probably get your tom-tom out for the occasions you need it, those that do 25, 40 or 50k miles a year will definitley find nav essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and on that mileage they will not be running a thirsty petrol engine (sorry).

You serious??

I know loads of people who do those miles in a petrol car.

On my test drive I reset the dis as I was coming back on teh dual carrigeway and it returned 32mpg before getting back on the twistes, our 120d m-sport auto only get 4mpg more than that on a run, only returns 30mpg when doing usual stuff.

I think what this has concluded is that for some they find adding nav really is a benifit, for some they would happily pay £2k more for it, and for others it just isn't worth it.

So there you go, if you want the nav add it, if you don't leave it out, there will always be someone looking for a car with or without nav when you come to sell. 169144-ok.gif

I regularly used to do around 25 - 30k a year in a petrol car.

...for me its more about knowing where you are going than the enumeration of mileage. I do a fair amount of miles but i usually know where im going smile.gif

Plus i have a windows mobile phone with tom tom and a gps device on the odd occasion where im going somewhere new, so i personally wouldnt particualy want the sat nav.

Although i accept that the dash looks better with the screen in smile.gif

I always know where I am going, but, when sat in heavy traffic I know with the Nav there I can go down all the back roads to get out of a city shortening my journey time by a huge amount, also nice to know where the nearest car park is, nearest petrol station etc. etc.

As I said, once you get used to them, no goin back.

[ QUOTE ]

You serious??

I know loads of people who do those miles in a petrol car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right. I've done 37k since the end of feb in my 1.8TQS of joy smlove2.gif