Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swil00

Impreza's and engine rebuilds.......

4 posts in this topic

Fed up with the Golf I've got... and although I've never really been a fan of the Impreza or evo...saw a WR1 on the road the other day and have to say its growing on me...

One thing that I've heard though is that P1's need engine rebuilds after ~50K miles... IS this the case ? and is it the case with the WR1 as the power/torque figures are scary for a 2.0 engine..

Also what are these cars like day to day ? It wouldn't be a daily runner so economy isn't of great concern...

What sort of things should I be looking out for.. I'm not expecting to look at one of these thats been driven by miss Daisy.. but how stong are they ?

Don't know where you've heard that, but it's utter shyte. There are plenty of UK Imprezas out there that are still bulletproof and fast after lunar mileages.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, any issues are due to one of two things:

1. Japanese spec grey imports that run on 100ron in Japan and haven't been modified to run on lower ron uk fuel. The vast majority of expensive engine rebuild warranty claims are due to this (and were the sole reason for a ridiculously inaccurate Warranties Direct "survey" a couple of years ago).

2. Engines that have been heavily but poorly modified. If you chip an STi unit to, say, 400bhp (easily and cheaply done) without making any (much more expensive) mods to strengthen key engine components, you're just asking for meltdown.

Generally speaking, if you can find a good, unmolested P1 or WR1 with full Subaru dealer history (P1 is far far better btw), you have an utterly bulletproof rocketship. Along with a 911, they are the most reliable performance car out there.

Thanks for that.... Think I'd be looking for a WR1 before a P1 though.. What makes the P1 better ?

Cheers !

Better all round package, and the last of the 'classic' Imprezas.

If loddrick is lurking, he might tell you about his.