Insurance Question

tanderson001

A couple of years ago I was a named driver on someones insurance, I had a slight bump with someone at a round about (touched bumpers).

A few months later I was told by someone that came and inspected my car for damage that the person claiming didnt have a case and it would be throw out - that was the last I heard of it, until now...

The person who's policy it was has just taken out some new insurance and been told that there was a claim made on his policy so his premium has been increased accordingly.

Im on my own insurance now, does this mean I have had a claim made against me? How will this my insurance? Cant afford my premium going up, its sky high as it is!

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

If you had the accident (whether on someone elses insurance or not), you have to declare it when you take out your insurance as far as I know. This is likely to increase your premium unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar incident a few years back, minor bump, no dmamge to either car, notified the insurance company accordingly. The appropriate word being notified. Come renewal time they upped my premium. When I asked why it had gone up they said it was because I had put in a claim. I stated that there was not a claim submitted by either driver and that I simply notified them. No work had been carried out on either car, not even a visit by inspectors. In the end the renewed my policy for the same price as the previous year. If I had not argued the toss the would have weeded more money out of me for nothing.