Golf 130/150 differences ?

shinyandy

Test drove a 130 and 150 TDI back to back last night from my local VW dealer.

Now apart from the spec differences what are the engine differences between the two as they were totally different cars to drive. The 130 seemed to have a small power band and would run out of steam at around 3600 whereas the 150 felt more like a petrol car and would rev easily from 1500rpm all the way into the red if you weren't looking and still seemed to be pulling.

Would a REVOesque remap spoil the perfect mapping that the 150 seems to have or does it retain the power delivery characteristics and enhance them ?

Also I noticed in the brochure that the 150 weighs around 150kg more than the 130 where does this extra weight come from ?

Hello ShinyAndy, I have had a Golf TDI 150 for about two years now (very good car the_finger.gif). I've not driven a 130 so I can't really help you much on the differences, all that I can say is that if you are going to get one, definately get the 150. FIREdevil.gif

After having it for a year I decided to put a Tunit box (Bromley's) on it, very impressed with the difference in power, it pulls hard all the way to 5000 revs, and only cost £400 (inc vat),not really affected the mpg and doesn't smoke to much. the_finger.gif

post-2208-137914252565_thumb.jpg

Thank you Fatcat, I am surprised that they didn't, as Audi is owned by VW confused.gif

I see yours has been increase by 50 bhp FIREdevil.gif where as mine has increased by 30 bhp (Tunit box), would a chip have been better to get more bhp? Or is 180 bhp the maximum I would get? znaika.gif

(Don't know too much about these things! UHOH7.GIF)

Sorry I know we are straying from the topic. NONO3.GIF

It beats me why Audi with the 130 Quattro failed to use the PD150 and then use it in the FWD PD150 Golf!

Danksy has the PD150 and he had Revo re-map and has commented on some front wheel spin after the re-map, but I understand he is well pleased with it.

As a rule of thumb, and through reading and talking with tuners, it appears that a re-map offers more bhp/torque than your average plug in and play box - why, I've got no idea !

Either way, with your FWD you 'may' be at the limits of both your bhp and torque, no doubt Danksy will enlighten laugh.gif

With my Quattro, I think I still have a long way to go before I loose traction....

Ain't all that torque just great ECLIPSe.gif

Cheers !

150 it is, just shopping around to get a good deal on a new one now.. dealer wouldn't move but drivethedeal and carhound was coming back with prices like £15,989 !

Fatcat: I was going to get a A3 TDI Quattro Sport but have given up with the dealer, they just don't seem interested in getting me a car to try so their loss ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

It beats me why Audi with the 130 Quattro failed to use the PD150 and then use it in the FWD PD150 Golf!

Danksy has the PD150 and he had Revo re-map and has commented on some front wheel spin after the re-map, but I understand he is well pleased with it.

As a rule of thumb, and through reading and talking with tuners, it appears that a re-map offers more bhp/torque than your average plug in and play box - why, I've got no idea !

Either way, with your FWD you 'may' be at the limits of both your bhp and torque, no doubt Danksy will enlighten laugh.gif

With my Quattro, I think I still have a long way to go before I loose traction....

Ain't all that torque just great ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at both Tunits and Chips and the figures on them for my car were coming out similar. I liked the Tunit as it is easy to take on and off (when needed! sekret.gif) The problem now is that it does seem to wheel spin, the ESP comes on too often which can be annoying (its not that much of a problem though!)

If you are going to buy a 150PD Shinyandy, look to see if you can buy a 4Motion model. This wasn't available when I purchased mine (went to Germany myself and got one, saved thousands!). I'm not sure that they are available in England but I have seen one in Spain (as I am here at the moment) and on a model list, it was either Spanish or German UHOH7.GIF

One more thing when you are buying (not from a main VW dealer) try to make sure it is UK specification, not just technical but equipment also. The spec can differ (sometimes better), I made sure my motor had all the same equipment as a UK one. This isn't necessary but I think it helps when you come to sell the car.

I hope this helps beerchug.gif

(I didn't bother with leather, don't think this car really needs it, especially at an extra £1500.)