The MkV GTI Tyre thread

DHA

mikemod, thanks for this warning. Very useful to know.

JonnyGTI said about Exaltos on 09/12/07:

" ... recently straight onto 18" Michelin Exaltos with a new ED 30. The difference in ride quality is very subtle imho, and although I quite liked the Conti Sports I would rate the Michelins slightly higher overall. The Michelins also have excellent rim protection."

So it seems the Exaltos have rim protection but the PS2s do not.

Do you know what the difference between them is?

Presumably the Exaltos cost more?

ludwig

• 1 month later...

Having ruined the two left tyres on my car earlier this week whilst up in Edinburgh I was forced into replacing my tyres. The Eagle F1s on the front probably only had 1000 miles left on them so I ended up replacing all 4 tyres on the car. As it was a short notice need for tyres I had no real choice in what to replace them with. I managed to get some Potenza RE050A and I am very pleased with them. Much sharper turn in than the F1s ever had and the grip seems better even given the tyres are very new. Not yet tried them in the wet but initial impressions are that they are an improvement on the F1s which I was disappointed in from day 1.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Q, £204 fitted, although i do get discount through my dad's pension benefits

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty good price, I paid £226 for a pair for my R32 from Hi Q and that was with a 10% discount voucher.

They are pretty damn good tyres as well 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ordered a pair from Tyre-shopper.co.uk £222 fitted Inc Vat. Thats the same price another dealer was offering me the Ultrac Sessanta (£110 each)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wheel Size 19"

Tyre model Falken fk452

Miles Driven 200

Season summer

Would you buy again? YES

Comments:

These tyres are very good!

i ran michelin ps2 before and i can honestly say i have not noticed a degrade in performance from these tyres.

i have noticed how they are alot more quiter than the ps2's.

i would recommend these to anyone who wants to put big wheels on.

• 1 month later...

^^ yep, have read here and elsewhere that they need a good few hundred miles on them before you get the full performance.

chucking down with rain here all weekend and today so i'm not making any use of them really right now..! initial impressions are they are much more 'compliant' than the sportmax, ie a better ride. maybe thats just down to the newness of the rubber but its a welcome benefit.

noticed also they came with a bright green "blob" on the sidewall to help the fitter get them lined up with the valve to minimise balance weights. nice touch - and the fitter got them aligned spot on too which is good.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

....Okay, following 'snatching' problems when enjoying driving enthusiastically, I've just had a long and very helpful phone conversation with Goodyear's UK tyretech support.

Firstly, the tyre industry as a whole recommends that on FWD cars where it's safe to mix tyre treads (but always matched on axles and never at all on AWD vehicles) that you run your deeper treads on the rear rather than the front. This of course assumes that your front treads are not threadbare! The basic reason is (as I understand it) that as you approach the limits of your front wheels you don't want your rear wheels to be heading off as too much oversteer - The rear needs stability. Anyroadup, it's the tyre industry recommendation.

On the subject of this thread and a 'snatching' or 'tugging' problem : - The Goodyear F1 Assymetrics have a special insert on the inside designed to reduce leaning and to keep more tread on the road. The internal structure of the F1 Assyms is also designed to reduce G-forces. The GSD3 F1's don't have this same structure and therefore when 'normal' F1's and Assyms are on the same car (but of course axle matched), there will be a differential in shoulder flexing when driving more enthusiastically.

What's happening with the 'snatch' (Hello, boys!!) is that the GTI's ESP reads an apparent difference in tyre behaviour which it assumes momentarily to be the beginning of a skid and it compensates accordingly by kicking in with a 'tug' on the system.

Swopping wheels so that the new Assyms are on the front and worn GSD3's on the rear will reduce instances of snatching but not when you are driving much closer to the limits - In which case you could potentially be more easily saying hello to your rear end overtaking you. Fun to watch that happening on the track perhaps, but not in your own car on a public road with many obstacles!

It's safer not to run too high a difference of tread between axles and it's ideal to run all the same treads on all wheels, but in the real world good tyres cost money and why throw away perfectly legal tyres?

If you've got any further questions on Goodyear/Dunlop tyre tech subjects, you'll find them extremely helpful (unlike Vredestein!!) 01902 453097, being a service for the public as well as dealers.

Also : -

Goodyear - Goodyear-Contact

Dunlop - Dunlop Tyre Center | Support | Tyre Clinic | Tyre Doctor

[/end of tyre lecture]

1009big.jpg

Edited by RedRobin

• 3 months later...
Currently running Conti sport contact 2's on 18" Monzas. Need to change fronts. not sure whether to stick with same or go for sport contact 3. Any suggestions? I will be putting the new tyres on the rear and moving old sport contact 2's from the rear at the front.

I changed to Conti Sport Contact 3 and have to say I am happy with them ( 7K miles ).

Have a read of the Evo mag GTI tyre test ( they were in the top three with Goodyear F1 assymetrics & Vredestein ?x?....

RR, thanks for this, very interesting and useful.

I am about to change my tyres and was going to move to Vredestein, but I've had no joy contacting their "technical" people. I understand that they have recently been taken over by some Russian business - not Moskovitch I hope! :-)

Re. <If you've got any further questions on Goodyear/Dunlop tyre tech subjects, you'll find them extremely helpful (unlike Vredestein!!) 01902 453097, being a service for the public as well as dealers.>

I'll give Goodyear a call soon and a ask a few questions and then almost certainly give their products a try.

Thanks again, Ludwig

So, what's the update? The reviews seem to be very positive with one big exception: they seem to wear out in no time!

Goodyear Assymetric wear rate - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums

How r they lasting???

I guess it all down to one's driving style, zippytwo. I personally don't spin the fronts up from take off every time. In answer to your question, wear has been minimal and all the positive reviews about them, I would agree with whole heartedly. My car is remapped, so there can be a tendancy for the front wheels to loose traction if being trigger happy in all but dry conditions, but with careful pedal control, the Assymetrics grip well and power is down before you know it. +++

^^^^

....x2 about driving style, Jon. I hate spinning the front wheels and consider I'm not driving properly if I do, unless in very adverse conditions.

Last weekend I drove up to APS's Open Day (and met a whole load of Audi drivers) - I had just had the new turbo fitted and Stage2 back on and so was keen to test my car. The round trip was 322 miles in all sorts of conditions but mostly wet or greasy, and guess what - I didn't light up the front tyres TC even once. Aren't I a clever clogs? :smug: - A contributing factor is how much the Quaife ATB diff helps - It's not quattro but it sure as hell helps! It costs about £1,500 all-in for DSG but is a very, very underrated mod imo and really transforms the GTI.

Early days, but my GY assyms are still looking deep, man :crackpipe:, so far :cool:

+++

Edited by RedRobin

I've done 19k miles on my front F1 Asymmetrics and there is plenty of life in them yet. By comparison the OE fitment Dunlop SportMAXXs were replaced at 19K miles.

Having a R32 means that my front wheels don't spin too often and I tend only to see the ESP light being on very rarely. Totally different to when I had a Cupra R.

For me F1 Asymmetrics still offer good value for money and they do perform really well +++

I guess it all down to one's driving style, zippytwo. I personally don't spin the fronts up from take off every time. In answer to your question, wear has been minimal and all the positive reviews about them, I would agree with whole heartedly. My car is remapped, so there can be a tendancy for the front wheels to loose traction if being trigger happy in all but dry conditions, but with careful pedal control, the Assymetrics grip well and power is down before you know it. +++

Cheers JC & RR - looks like the Ass's will be next then!

The OEM Potenzas have been pretty good: 17.5k on the first set of fronts and the rears are still there after 26k.

But the replacement Potenzas on the front are now matching the rears on about 3.5mm - after only 8.5k. They're wearing evenly and I certainly haven't changed my driving style. I did run the first set very nearly down to the 1.6mm limit - even so I can't see myself matching 17.5k this time around! Quite why is beyond me...

• bison unpinned this topic