The MkV GTI Tyre thread

DHA

Ok I think we have a good number of people who have experienced a different selection of tyres on their GTI. I want us to collate this info so people can use it to help choose tyres for their GTI. I know different tyres behave differently on different makes of car but hopefully people will have broadly similar experiences with their MkV GTI.

So can you copy and paste the below text as many times are required for you own tyres and add any comments. Cheers 169144-ok.gif

Wheel Size

Tyre model

Miles Driven

Season

Would you buy again?

Comments

Wheel Size 18" Monza 225/40/18 OEM

Tyre model Continental Sport Contact 2

Miles Driven 2500

Season Winter

Would you buy again? No

Comments The tyre behaves fairly well in the dry, but when the roads are damp or cold the drop in performance both in terms of traction and lateral grip is very noticable. In these conditions they do not inspire confidence, even at very low speeds. However they do resist aquaplaning very well.

Tyre model Continental Sport Contact 2 XL

Miles Driven 23000

Season Summer/Winter

Would you buy again? Yes, and have.

Comments First set Covered 11000 miles, second set 10000, now on my third set on the front. Don't do any motorway driving, all minor A and B roads. Find the tyres give excellent grip in all conditions. Would be worried about changing to another make in case it affects the excellent handing. They are quite noisy but maybe that's because of the low profile.

Wheel Size: - 17" Monza OEM.

Tyre model: - Continental Sport Contact.

Miles Driven: - 10,000 (estimated).

Season: - Summer 'n Winter.

Would you buy again?: - No.

Comments: - I drive on all types of road. I didn't find any noticeable problems but in comparison to my Bridgestone Potenzas, they wear out quicker and are slightly less grippy. However, I have had suspension mods done since these tyres.

Wheel Size: - 18" Monza OEM.

Tyre model: - Bridgestone Potenza

Miles Driven: - 14,000 (estimated).

Season: - Summer 'n Winter.

Would you buy again?: - Yes, but I plan to try the Goodyear Eagle F1s next.

Comments: - I drive on all types of road. No complaints at all - Better wear than the Contis, slightly better grip. Modded suspension probably gives me an unfair comparison with the Contis.

Wheel Size 18" Monza 225/40/18

Miles Driven 16500

Season All year

Would you buy again? I did

CommentsI had the GTI for 15 months and it came with Continentals on from new. I collected it in Mar 05 and the tyres were fine throughout the summer months, however in the winter traction was a problem and going round roundabouts etc could be interesting at times, it would feel slightly twitchy on occasions. I changed the 2 fronts at 10500 miles for 2 new Contis as the rears were still ok and I wanted to keep it the same. Had all 4 needed changing I would have considered alternatives. Having said that, the Contis were not too bad for me. 169144-ok.gif

Wheel Size 18" MONZA OEM

Tyre model 225 Bridgestone

Miles Driven 7

Season Spring

Would you buy again? eh??

Comments Ask Red Robin, as he had the wheels off my old GTI, when it had only covered 7 miles

Wheel Size 19" BBS CH

Tyre model 235/35R19 Toyo Proxes

Miles Driven 8000

Season Spring/Summer/Autumn

Would you buy again? Yes, and I did for my .:R

Comments Excellent in both wet and the dry

Miles Driven 7000

Season Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter

Would you buy again? No Way!

Comments Thought it was a great tyre right up to the point when the damn car started heading sideways in the rain or on muddy roads. Can't get the power down in the wet or on slippy roads (e.g. today!).

Michelin Pilot 2's next time.

You bet! Also, Mrs. Fresco made me redo the Will the other week, shortly after my car is slidding all over the place ... ! UHOH7.GIF

Best be careful what food I eat around the house for a while.

Nah seriously, the sudden lack of lateral grip on these tyres is dramatic in the wet, and could definitely catch a driver unawares.

[ QUOTE ]

I also noticed a very slight loss of grip from the rear's at speed, vague sensation of the back moving off towards the central reservation on v. greasy A3M yesterday and today. Bit worrying, don't want to make a guest appearance on 'Road Wars' or similar ... ! EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go and see your dealer about that, sounds like a major problem with the car or your tyre pressures are wrong shocked.gif

Wheel size 18" Monza 225/40/18 OEM

Tyre model Goodyear GSD3 eagle F1's

Miles Driven 4000

Season Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter

Would you buy again? 100% yes and i will

Comments Replaced the contis 2's early as i was finding traction in feb quite scary to be honest. The 200hp was no use as i couldnt put my foot down in the first 3 gears in this weather. I found them fine in the dry and i thought handling wise they were ok at speed. I did find however at low speeds when cornering sharply (tight s bend by me) they would just let go. F1's have transformed it, foot down in second in the wet and damp only caused minor flashes from the traction control. Dry grip limits are well beyond my reaches althought i dont think there will be more than 10k miles in them. They are also much quieter but possibly (could be my imagination) made the ride a little firmer!

Overall i have found a brilliant tyre and have no desire to use anything else

[ QUOTE ]

I have yet to hear anyone say anything against the Eagle F1s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robin - I had them on my previous car that only had 110 bhp, but went through Eagle F1's every 10 000 miles. Although they were sticky and quiet, I found tyre wear a problem. With your 230bhp going through them, who knows! However, I believe the tread pattern has recently changed, this might help.

Wheel Size - OEM 18" Monzas

Tyre model - Michelin Pilot Sport 2's

Miles Driven - 16 000

Season - All

Would you buy again? - Yes

Comments - Had Continentals originally and got 12 000 miles out of the tyres on the front which I thought was decent. Replaced them with the Michelins and have been very impressed. They are much quieter and more grippy than the Conti's. They don't have much of an overhang though to protect against female drivers. This made the tyres the most expensive purchase I made all year, as I had to buy the wife her own car to protect my unscathed 18" Monza's smlove2.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have yet to hear anyone say anything against the Eagle F1s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robin - I had them on my previous car that only had 110 bhp, but went through Eagle F1's every 10 000 miles. Although they were sticky and quiet, I found tyre wear a problem. With your 230bhp going through them, who knows! However, I believe the tread pattern has recently changed, this might help.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I've read some glowing reviews but one which included these words: "Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice" EEK2.GIF.

1038502-EagleF1.jpg

A very minor point but my recent rolling road test showed 244 bhp for what it's worth, but I always try hard not to spin my wheels. Today in the local high street I witnessed more than one quite ordinairy FWD car spin its wheels - Some drivers lack any kind of sensitivity!

post-10081-137914386464_thumb.jpg

Hi DHA,

That's all we want to hear!! frown.gif

[rant] I just bought what looked like a good quality but cheap cost small keyring (for my antitheft dust cap key) to find that once it had opened up to slide the key on, the ring didn't spring back to being tight!! the_finger.gif.

I would rather pay to have a decent quality product than to be only given the choice of cheap 'n nasty low quality crap!! [/rant]

• bison unpinned this topic