The MkV GTI Tyre thread

DHA

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 29k I need to change my Continental SportContact2s soon.

I've been very satisfied with them and they've never let me down (oh dear!)

A local dealer has offered me x4 Conti SportContact3s at £415 all in.

As an option they've offered me x4 Toyo Proxes T1-R 225/45 ZR17 94Y RF at £320 all in.

I've not really considered Toyo until now, but this is a no-brainer isn't it?

Ludwig

JiB, thanks (I was wondering where everyone had gone ..... did I say the wrong thing or something? :-) )

Spoke to the Retail Manager at my local tyre dealer who quoted me for the Contis and Toyos, yesterday.

He said the Toyos give "good grip", better than the Conti (that may be why they wear down quickly, as you say). The 'boy-racers' like the Toyos apparently .....

He also advised that they would be noisier than the Contis, because of their "agressive tread pattern".

He's persuaded me to stick with the Conti ContactSports - "if it ain't broke, .... "

Ludwig

Just got four Goodyear Asymmetrics fitted today, also replaced the

valves as recommended by VW, an extra £40, better safe than sorry I suppose.

I will report back after I have a few miles on them, traction control light seems a bit active but as said before it takes a couple of hundred miles to get everything bedded in. At least I have the rim protection back which is better than the Michelin PS2s that came off. +++

MM, I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.

Are you able/do you want to tell us how much you paid for them?

Those metal valves are dear aren't they?

My local Toyo dealer said this week "they are a pain in the neck".

I did not press him to find out why.

He seemed to think he could re-use my existing 3 year old metal valves when I change tyres. I'm tempted to ........

Ludwig

He seemed to think he could re-use my existing 3 year old metal valves when I change tyres. I'm tempted to ........

Just get your tyre fitter to replace internal part of the valve. That's the part that seals, the rest is basically just a threaded metal tube!

VW are taking the p with the price of them.

Afraid so. I paid £11 each for the metal sports valves. They are expensive, but do look the nuts and stand up to the test. Mind you, the valve cap that comes with them aren't anti-theft ones, so that's another £15 on top.

Just get your tyre fitter to replace internal part of the valve. That's the part that seals, the rest is basically just a threaded metal tube!

VW are taking the p with the price of them.

The metal shaft is also a seal, it has a rubber washer at each end, once this perishes then the air will just leak out round the sides..

Remember this only applies to the 18" Monza II's as they are hollow and this is used to bridge the gap.

Edited by mikemod

Mikemod posted an item previously indicating that these wheels needed new metal valves at each tyre change at

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/vw-golf-gti-forum/101597-new-monza-ii-wheels-what-else-do-i-need.html

with the link being

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1037336/page/0/fpart/16/vc/1

however this link appears dead.

Can anyone advise the location in ELSA or EKTA where this advice is?

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by nhs

• bison unpinned this topic