The MkV GTI Tyre thread

DHA

Yep, RR is right, ETKA is the parts database they use..

The picture was scanned from ELSAwin which is the workshop software actually used in the main dealers. It details step by step guides and procedures on servicing and repairs from changing a bulb to replacing the clutches in a DSG gearbox..

One note on that diagram, it seems to show Seal 5 going between Part 6 and the wheel when in fact it goes between part 4 and the wheel as there is already a seal fitted to part six, I noticed this as I was taking the old ones , that were factory fitted, off. Here is a picture of an old one. The part Number is 1K0601361

valvePic.JPG

I have to say though the seals look fine after 15000 miles so maybe it is being a bit over cautious and VW are taking the p*** :confused:

• 2 months later...

Given the choice between PS2s and F1 Asymmetrics, even if they're more expensive, I'd choose the F1s, because they grip better in the wet and dry than the PS2s, but it's your money.

They both last about the same amount of time +++

I have had the PS2s and am now running the F1 Asymmetrics

I find the grip in the wet on the PS2's was better than the F1s especially coming off roundabouts and traction from low speed.

The F1s seem to track more on uneven surfaces and the fuel consumption is 5-10% worse.

I will definitely be going back to the Michelins when the Goodyears wear out. +++

....Hi petsy - Long time no speak :)

As I expect you already know, the golden rules for the Mk5 GTI is to fit your best treads on the rear axle and always keep the same tyre pattern on an axle.

If, for example, you mix a pair of directionals on one axle with a pair of assymetrics on the other axle, the ESP can sometimes recieve the wrong signals and react adversely - Applies braking to a wheel which results in a snatch but you just be brave and ignore it. Not nice first time though and always a bit random. Am now glad to be on my second set of all 4 F1 assymetrics.

Safe Journeys, mate +++

• 2 months later...
Here is a scan of the page...

valve.jpg

valve.gif

I'm pretty sure this changed on later Monza II's and that OEM wheels after 2007 came with normal black plastic valves.

2005-2007 - 1K0 601 025 AH

2008 - 1K0 601 025 BA

2009 - 1K0 601 025 AM

The only differences are as to what tyre valve is fitted:

1K0601025AM16Z - Metal Valve

Valve Part Number: 1K0601361B

1K0601025BA16Z - Rubber Valve

Standard tyre valve

Edited by JonnyGTi

After a bit of help here guys!

Currently running Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tyres but they're about ready for replacing.

Car is running on 18's and is remapped (Revo Stage 2) so looking for something with plenty of grip.

Was about to order some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymeteric's based on the reviews on this thread and also based on EVO mags tyre review:

2007 evo tyre test at tyre reviews - the online tyre guide

but carried on browsing and saw this alternate review:

2009 Auto Zeitung Summer Test at tyre reviews - the online tyre guide

The F1 A's are way down the list (as are my 2nd choice - the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's).

The 2nd test was conducted using a Golf so totally confused now!

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Mat

I've just replaced my front tyres, I was going to cycle them round and noticed they were a bit lacking in tread so unfortunately i've got an unmatched front and rear set.

When I got all 4 replaced last December I ended up getting Goodyear Symetric GSD3's all the way round and hated them immediately so I was quite glad I was replacing them, they were awful in the wet, wore out quickly, dropped the MPG by a couple and always lit up the traction control.

So as it was short notice I was a little restricted to what they had at the local Protyre in the end I went with the guys recomendation which was the Pirelli P6000.

I'm amazed, they are so so much better. I had the Goodyear Asymetrics as the set before last and I liked them but I think these are as good, the grip is much better, espically pulling away, the traction control light might come on for split second if i'm a little enthusiastic but you can feel the wheels gripping instantly.

Highly recommended, apparently they're fairly long lasting as well which is useful as I do about 20k a year.

• bison unpinned this topic