Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DHA

The MkV GTI Tyre thread

284 posts in this topic

Muppetboy, Guess you're on 17" or do you have a Voucher no, you want to let us know about laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone gone from Dunlops to Eagle F1's? Are they any fecking quieter? bike.thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Eagles are certainly not a quiet tyre on my S4, fecking great, but not quiet grin.gif

I have just had 2 GSD's fitted to the front of mine, at bracknell tyre and Battery. They did not seem any noisier than the conti's, I would go as far s to say a tad quieter BUT.......

Loads more grip........in these current conditions whereas the traction cut in regularly with the conti's albeit with 3mm of tread on, I can now plant it in second and the GSD's just grab the road and go. Well impressed, just gotta swap the wheels round now to wear out the rear conti's and get GSD's on there. Unfortunately I am on the SMT plan and VW will only let you fit conti's at national tyres under this scheme. A call to VW finance confirmed this however they said if I send them the receipt, they will reimburse me the difference between what the tyres cost me and what they pay national for Conti's. Hope this info is of use to those on SMT plan who want a different brand. beerchug.gif

Not many posts in this tread of late.

It would be nice to know what the latest "new" cars have fitted.

Conti Sport Contact 3?

I change all my wheels/tyres in pairs - As fronts become worn, they are moved to rear but very strictly in axle pairs. About to move front Bridgestone Potenzas to rear (were originally on rear and so with less wear) to make way for new Eagle F1s on front which will be moved to rear when more worn (but still very legal).

VW dealer says it's okay to mix tyre makes but only in axle pairs.

Got my Eagle F1's fitted this morning! Didn't think someone like me would be able to notice the difference but I sure can, amazing! grin.gif

....Due to your post, Muppetboy, I think this is the first time I have ever wanted my tyres to wear out quicker! grin.gif - Eagle F1s for me next!

[ QUOTE ]

Conti Sport Contact 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

My car was delivered with Dunlop Sport 01 A's fitted to the Monza 17" when I picked it up 4 weeks ago. Seem reasonably good, only done 2k miles and don't have alternatives to compare them with yet. Occasionally seem a bit slippy when going round roundabouts a little on the quick side. Part of that is probably the time of year, the roads always seem a bit damp at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]

....Due to your post, Muppetboy, I think this is the first time I have ever wanted my tyres to wear out quicker! grin.gif - Eagle F1s for me next!

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing tyres red, once warmed up you can have alot of fun in 1st and 2nd gear. Handle like a dream and are a tad quieter than the contis. (oh, and they look great)!!!

80% of my daily commute, so around 50 miles, is motorway so I'm really hoping they are quieter than the Dunlops as they were really loud especially at (true) 80kph! Guess I'll find out tomorrow... ECLIPSe.gif

Wheel Size 17" Monza 225/45/17

Tyre model: Dunlop SP Sport 01A

Miles Driven: 2200

Season: All

Would you buy again? Yes

Comments: The tyres behaves well in most conditions, and quiet as well.

I found the Dunlops loud... anyway tested out the F1's on the motorway today and I really think they're quieter! 169144-ok.gif

I think the Easgle F1's are great. I changed from the OEM Conti's when I changed to 18's about 9,000km ago. The Eagles I think are quieter than the Conti's and have way more grip as you say.

It is hard to talk in terms of ride comfort because I went from the Conti's because I was shifting to a bigger rim and a lower tyre profile. Nonetheless there is nothing wrong with the riding ability of the Eagles IMHO.

At this stage I am prepared to say that the wear on the Eagles is at least acceptable. They get nice and hot and sticky in the hot weather we are having here at the moment (lots of 35-40 degree C days). They no longer look new but are far from worn either.

In short I think they are great and would buy them again.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Conti Sport Contact 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

My car was delivered with Dunlop Sport 01 A's fitted to the Monza 17" when I picked it up 4 weeks ago. Seem reasonably good, only done 2k miles and don't have alternatives to compare them with yet. Occasionally seem a bit slippy when going round roundabouts a little on the quick side. Part of that is probably the time of year, the roads always seem a bit damp at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

My car was delivered two weeks ago with Conti sport contact 2s.

Wheel Size 18" Monza

Tyre model: continental 2

Miles Driven: 1000

Season: winter

Would you buy again? No.

Comments: can’t make a comparison with other tyres as I’ve only had experience with these tyres and no others on the gti. I’ve had Eagles, Pilot Sport 2’s and Conti’s on previous cars – Eagles or Michelins are a better tyre IMO.

Are there any issue with mixing tyres? i have recently had to fit a new Conti to the passenger rear so i don't want to change all 4. The 2 fronts will need replacing soon and i'm looking to change to Goodyear F1's. I don't have much confidence in the Conti's in the wet, i hope the F1's are better.

quoting steve h in this thread, http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1086716/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

"Its not a good idea to mix F1's with other tyres. They behave very differently than other tyres and can really upset the handling when mixed. I am a big fan of F1's and have had them on every car we have owned since 2001, but I tried mixing them on an E46 BMW with bad results, and on my wife's Volvo V70 T5, and again not happy. I called Dunlop in Birmingham who own Goodyear and they confirmed that it is not recommended to mix F1's with other brands, even in axle pairs. I've got them on my Mk 5 Gti now in 225x40x18 and they are superb. My car came with Dunlop sports, and the F1's are much better in terms of grip, noise and comfort".

[ QUOTE ]

quoting steve h in this thread, http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1086716/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

"Its not a good idea to mix F1's with other tyres. They behave very differently than other tyres and can really upset the handling when mixed. I am a big fan of F1's and have had them on every car we have owned since 2001, but I tried mixing them on an E46 BMW with bad results, and on my wife's Volvo V70 T5, and again not happy. I called Dunlop in Birmingham who own Goodyear and they confirmed that it is not recommended to mix F1's with other brands, even in axle pairs. I've got them on my Mk 5 Gti now in 225x40x18 and they are superb. My car came with Dunlop sports, and the F1's are much better in terms of grip, noise and comfort".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Petsy, looks like i have an expensive month coming up then frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

The same happened to me. I got a puncture in one of the rears and replaced with a F1 but then ended up replacing the other 3 to be on the safe side. The fronts were just about ready to be replaced anyway.

F1s are better than the Bridgestones that were on from new.

[ QUOTE ]

F1s are better than the Bridgestones that were on from new.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I've got Bridgestone Potenzas on now and prefer them to the original Contis. My VW dealer had my car up on the ramp this morning just to properly check my tread depths (free of charge) 169144-ok.gif. 5mm on front and 3mm on rear - The fronts were the rears 2,000 miles ago. I'll change all four to Eagle F1s when 2mm.

Had some Eagle F1s fitted yesterday after I kerbed one wheel and took some of the sidewall with it frown.gif interestingly there was a screw in one of my rears that the TPM didn't pick up. Maybe no loss in pressure from it?

F1s are already quieter than the contis.

Yeah was going to do all four in the next few months anyway but the kerbing incident brought it forward a little.