The MkV GTI Tyre thread

DHA

Initial impressions of the F1s are very good. One thing I have noticed is that when the traction control is activated there is no harshness as if the tyres are almost locking then moving. I guess that they regain traction a lot easier and smoother than the contis did.

Wheel Size 225/45/17

Tyre model Continental Sport Contact 2

Miles Driven 12500

Season Winter / Summer

Would you buy again? No

Comments Not a bad tyre but after reading on here about the F1's thought I'd try it out.

Wheel Size 225/45/17

Tyre model Goodyear Eagle F1's

Miles Driven 12500

Season Winter / Summer

Would you buy again? Yes

Comments First try was only for the front 2, but have just replaced all 4. Found a place called event-tyres.co.uk, mobile tyre fitters so suits my work, very efficient and cheapest I could find fitted.

Found with the Eagles that they can be a little sketchy in damp conditions, no probs in wet or dry though, also found that when they are about done they become predictable fun.

One thing I have found about the goodyears is that they are a true summer tyre, in that the grip falls off when the outside temp is under about 5-6 deg C. Maybe this is in comparison to the grip when the temp gets above this temp, but it is quite a marked difference. I have noticed this more in the GTi than in the BMW's I have had before, maybe it is FWD v's RWD, and the understeer is more noticible than oversteer - although BMW's tend to be 'overtyred' in most cases anyway, especially in Sport trim. I came onto a slip road this morning off a roundabout on full throttle and the front was pretty leary, about 5 deg c. Tried the same this afternoon when temp was 18 deg c and they gripped like glue - car felt like it was on rails as normal. Just my 2p's worth

Steve

I just went through my first set of (2) tyres (18,000kms).

Replaced them with Goodyear Excellence.

Haven't seen any comments on here regarding these, but for my money (190AUD fitted each) I think they are working great.

They are the same rating as the Conti- and about 100 bucks a tyre cheaper too.

Any comments on these long term? Am hoping to get more life out of these ones - though the fault must in part rest with my right foot.!!

• 4 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Seems like I just missed the new Assymetrics - I'm having F1's fitted on Monday - They are already bought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant go wrong with any type of f1's red. Great tyres, after my service yesterday, the tread remaining on mine was recorded as 4mm which after 7500 fun miles is more than i expected to be honest. Remember to give them a 100 miles or so before you get the best from them 169144-ok.gif

....Er....I'm terrible like that - I don't actually know my mileage on them but one axle pair is just under 2mm (being changed to the F1's) and the other pair (which are now on the front) still have 4mm. They were new in February 06 (according to Oli) so I've done approaching 15,000 miles on them I guess. Wow! I must be better on tyres than I thought and I don't hang about. I have a sensitive right foot and wear shoes which help this.

I'll listen to people's advice (probably ask Drivetrain's Big John) but currently I'm thinking that I'll try and arrange axle pairs so that I replace all four tyres at the same time next time.

EDIT: - I'm advised to always put the newer tyres on the driven axle - Fronts for the Mk5 GTI.

[ QUOTE ]

No but they are what i will be replacing my f1 gsd3 with.

On the goodyear website they rate them

comfort 5star

dry 5star

mileage 4star

speed 5star

wet 5star

the old f1's are rated

comfort 4star

dry 5star

mileage 4star

speed 5star

wet 4star

The flash site is an interesting read

http://eaglef1.eu/

[/ QUOTE ]

They look a pretty safe choice and my tyres have them for £95.60 each which is cheap for this car. I paid £165 to replace a punctured conti. crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'll listen to people's advice (probably ask Drivetrain's Big John) but currently I'm thinking that I'll try and arrange axle pairs so that I replace all four tyres at the same time next time.

EDIT: - I'm advised to always put the newer tyres on the driven axle - Fronts for the Mk5 GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression it was better to put the new tyres on the rear, but i will always put them on the front of the gti because they make a really noticable difference in regards to traction.

[ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression it was better to put the new tyres on the rear, but i will always put them on the front of the gti because they make a really noticable difference in regards to traction.

[/ QUOTE ]

....You've realised it all for yourself - Tyre fitters usually say to put new tyres on rear but on a performance car you need them where you are going to need traction [so I am advised].

169144-ok.gif

Eagle F1's now fitted to front only. Should 18s be inflated to same pressures as 17s (my originals) ?

Could someone with 18s please post what tyre pressure info is on the inside of their fuel cap, please ?

169144-ok.gif Thanx

I've only done 15 miles so far but they feel totally different! - I'm really surprised. The ride feels different without trying them out properly yet.

I use 35psi too but my ex Bridgestones were showing slightly more wear in the centre - Usually indicating high pressure.

After 80 miles those new F1's on the front grip superbly - I didn't do anything extreme but I did notice the car seemed much more planted on one particular fast right and then left bend I know. Rather than the tyres, it probably has much to do with what I learnt on Drivetrain about how to better use the gears....Paddles = notworthy.gif

Red,

I hope you enjoy the F1's. As you know I think they are great. They have been on my car since I upgraded to the 18's about 11,000km ago.

I run 35psi all round. I haven't noticed any unusual wear pattern on them to date. They also seem to be holding up pretty well in terms of tread.

You forgot to mention the impact of the Koni FSD's? on your right, left experience. They probably help too.

.... 169144-ok.gif. I'm now taking Drivetrain's Big John advice (I don't want a slap!) and checking my tyre pressures every week - 35psi/2.4bar.

I haven't pushed the new F1's hard yet and would only do so in certain conditions, but they feel good and obviously have full tread compared with what was 4mm on my front axle. The KoniFSD's and Eibach springs and anti-roll bars will all be contributing to everything feeling planted and comfortable.

To answer an earlier question - The Bridgestone Potenzas have much more rubber lip rim protection than the Eagle F1's, but it's not an important factor influencing my particular tyre choice.

169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've just changed the fronts from Contis to Bridgestone Potenzas on the front. I have less tram lining and the car is quieter so a 169144-ok.gif. I got them for 110 pounds per tyre including fitting grin.gif. The rear contis still have 7mm so I'll change them next summer.

Everyone knows how wet it has been recently and greasy in between the rainy bits - I have to report that I'm gobsmacked by just how good those Eagle F1's are when applying throttle. Far better than I expected and significantly better than either the Contis or Potenzas. EEK2.GIF Has my TC light stopped working!?

• bison unpinned this topic