Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DHA

The MkV GTI Tyre thread

284 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Everyone knows how wet it has been recently and greasy in between the rainy bits - I have to report that I'm gobsmacked by just how good those Eagle F1's are when applying throttle. Far better than I expected and significantly better than either the Contis or Potenzas. EEK2.GIF Has my TC light stopped working!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Transforms driving in the wet hey red 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

I remember being shocked by the difference also red, infact i turned to the mrs and said i dont care if they only last 5000 miles, these are going on everytime- worth every penny (I'm on 8k btw with 4mm left and still loads of grip)

....When you look at the F1 tread pattern it all seems very simple and obvious!

Goodyear have now launched the F1 Asymmetric, but are they a replacement (as I read on t'internet)? Possibly not, because both are on the Goodyear web site.

My new GTi has arrived shod in Dunlop SP Sport MAxx which I am happy about. Had these on my old Leon Cupra R 225 and they are a fanatstic tyre in both wet and dry. Very durable as well compared to the totally crap Pirelli P-zero Rosso's I was used to.

Hey Red,

Glad you like the Goodyears. I've done about 7,000 mile with them on now and I think they are fantastic- as I have said before. They also appear to be wearing well, which is welcome.

Have you noticed whether they are quiter than the Conti's. I've also thought so, but judging sound is a difficult thing to do like that.

As I went from Conti's to Bridgestone's it's too long ago for me to remember, but, put it this way, I haven't noticed any increase in noise levels.

Those F1's handle the Stage1 remap well too, don't they 169144-ok.gif. I can't imagine wanting to change to another tyre in the future.

Safe Journeys,

Robin

Only thing to watch with the old Goodyear eagle F1s you guys are talking about is that they are E marked theres a few fakes going about and they don't grip. Theres a court case about them at the moment. Sold by legit companys too not fleebay etc.

....Well mine certainly grip. I'll check for E marks but what are those?

What do you mean by "old Goodyear Eagle F1's"?

[ QUOTE ]

Only thing to watch with the old Goodyear eagle F1s you guys are talking about is that they are E marked theres a few fakes going about and they don't grip. Theres a court case about them at the moment. Sold by legit companys too not fleebay etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do any of the fakes have E marks?

What i meen by old is the V groove ones rather then the new asemetrical ones they have just brought out.

From what i was told if you drive in the wet and its cold you will soon know if they are real or not. grin.gif

Looking at the Goodyear web site, it seems that the 'V-groove' ones are still being produced.

....Which tyres are you on now, Jack? - If F1's 'V pattern', a comparison would be useful.

I did watch a program on men & motor a few months back now that showed the new F1s been tested on TTs at the goodyear proving ground and they went into detail about what the differences would be and why. Most the drivers were impressed with the new design.

Conti SportContact2 at the moment - fronts nearly gone after 8k miles! blush.gif

.... beerchug.gif Geoff. I'll be considering these new assymetrics when my F1's wear out - A lot longer than Jack's 8k miles!!

[ QUOTE ]

Goodyear have now launched the F1 Asymmetric, but are they a replacement (as I read on t'internet)? Possibly not, because both are on the Goodyear web site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just ordered some new F1's via Event Mobile Tyres and got a call back saying the Asymmetric is the better way to go as the standard F1's will no longer be available three months from now.

So gone for the Asymmetric's, which also work out a little bit cheaper (Shock horror, something new costing less than what it's replacing!)

Once I've had the Asymmetric's on for a week or two, I'll report back what they are like (Got Conti-sport Contact 2 at the mo).

I might as well report back now on the Asymmetric's as it's clear after only a few days of wear, they are superb.

Wheel Size 225/45/17

Tyre model Continental Sport Contact 2

Miles Driven 14000

Season Winter / Summer

Would you buy again? No

Comments: Ignorance was bliss as they have been the only tyres I've had on my MkV

Wheel Size 225/45/17

Tyre model Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Miles Driven 300 (only fitted a few days ago)

Season Summer (but it's been a right mixture of dry, wet and soaking conditions)

Would you buy again? Yes

Comment: Very impressed with the Asymmetric's. Handling is superb, grips and keeps on gripping smoothly. Road noise is slightly less than the Conti's. They also look great.

[ QUOTE ]

I might as well report back now on the Asymmetric's as it's clear after only a few days of wear, they are superb.

Wheel Size 225/45/17

Tyre model Continental Sport Contact 2

Miles Driven 14000

Season Winter / Summer

Would you buy again? No

Comments: Ignorance was bliss as they have been the only tyres I've had on my MkV

Wheel Size 225/45/17

Tyre model Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Miles Driven 300 (only fitted a few days ago)

Season Summer (but it's been a right mixture of dry, wet and soaking conditions)

Would you buy again? Yes

Comment: Very impressed with the Asymmetric's. Handling is superb, grips and keeps on gripping smoothly. Road noise is slightly less than the Conti's. They also look great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, how big is the rim protector on them??

thanks

Ryan

Wheel Size: - 18" Monza

Tyre model: - Continental Sport Contact II

Miles Driven: - 40k

Season: - All year

Would you buy again?: - Yes

Comments: Hi all, This is my first post but due to having covered 40k in the last two years I'm here to defend the Conti's. I'm on my fourth set on front and second set on the rear. The first front set only returned 8k. As with everyone weather conditions dictate your style of driving. I've shied away from changing what was standard from new, however from reading other reviews I'm tempted to play around. I'm not in a position to compare and my style of driving in wet conditions is modest to say the least, However the Conti's at high speed motorway driving in wet and very wet conditions have always given the performance and confidence you would expect from a standard supplied tyre. As for Dry warm conditions they compliment the GTI in respect of price and performance!!!

Has anyone fitted a set of the F1 Asymetric on 18's yet? I've spoken to Goodyear and they say that they are not available in that size yet - but "my tyres" say they are - bit confused here.....