Colours and Spec

Ben

Purely for research value, what is the story with colours and spec's for the 996?

Clearly everyone likes PCM, but what is a good re-seller?

Personally for the exterior I'm a fan of Basalt or Seal, quite like Lapis also.

Interior I like black and dark grey Sports seats, and some kind of ali/carbon package.

Thing is, virtually all the cars that I have seen on the net have some kind of variation from the above, mainly silver with metropole interiors - which is plain Flush.gif IMHO tongue.gif

Are the blue cars a no no? Are light grey interiors also bad news?

Can one retrofit PCM?

Cheers lads

Ben

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are highly individual cars, usually bought with a view to enjoying them rather than as functional items whose cost needs to be minimised.

So most people look for the one that they love the most. For me, that's midnight blue metallic and metropole leather with Al trim and a metropole hood. Others have told me that is hideous and described their pride and joy to me, only for me to think the same.

Generally, therefore, there are no hard and fast rules. OPCs will look scared if you ask them to order a new one in yellow, but there are plenty of people who want one in yellow and yellow only. If I'm lucky enough to get another, it'll probably be orange.

That said, a lot of these cars seem to be silver or grey - that seems to have been the fashion over the last few years so most of the recent stock is now in those colours. To my mind, that means that the drab colours are going to be so common that the moment fashion changes, they will drop in price and the nice yellows, oranges, reds (and deep metallic blues grin.gif) will become more valuable.

But I'm just a contrarian at heart.

Thanks for the reply, nice insight 169144-ok.gif

Problem with the interior colour for me is that Porsche just don't have the colour on the seats, they plaster it all over the dash, steering wheel and carpet smashfreakB.gif

So if you choose a colour that you think is sort-of OK, then it will just grate!

I love a good contrast of colours inside/outside, but wouldn't want to alienate myself by choosing something contentious.

So, are you a blue suit, shirt and tie sort of chap? tongue.gif

Cheers again

Ben

Yes, it is a problem that Porsche apply the same colour everywhere ... I was briefly tempted by the green interior, until I sat in one and felt ill!

[ QUOTE ]

So, are you a blue suit, shirt and tie sort of chap? tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Clients see a black suit, a smart shirt, a nice tie, and a huge bill. For some reason, the former makes them accept the latter grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Are the blue cars a no no? Are light grey interiors also bad news?

[/ QUOTE ]

THe car I drove about a year and a half ago had a ticket price of 60k then. Its still for sale at the same dealer, with a ticket price of 45k with little mileage difference (circa 40k I think). This car is navy with light grey interior and IMO is the most boring combination ever to be speced on a 996. Probably why its still for sale and going for , apparently, tuppance. I was highly disappointed with this car full stop. Possibly because I had such high expectations, but mostly because it was so dead boring. The colour combo really didn’t help.

I personally think they look at their best in darker colours. Play it safe and get black with black if you ask me. Bright colours make the 996 look old fashioned, and light interiors make the car look all placky and cheap inside. Probably hold the best value black and black too. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I personally think they look at their best in darker colours. Play it safe and get black with black if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a point re dark colours. I spent about 2 years in total looking in every OPC I could at as many 911s as possible and came to that conclusion.

But I have a problems with "playing it safe" for resale values. It's a 911 FFS, not a Mondeo! It's meant to be fun, it's meant to be your dream car, it's not meant to be cheap!! Get the colour you want an enjoy it, and if that means that one day it sits on a dealer's forecourt for year on year, that's not your problem. It just factors into the cost you need to pay in order to have the car you wanted.

Lapis Blue with grey, that would bore me to tears, though!

[ QUOTE ]

I personally think they look at their best in darker colours. Play it safe and get black with black if you ask me. Probably hold the best value black and black too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of my neighbours used to have early black with black 996 Turbos. Both examples looked stunning! Feel slightly stupid saying this, but I still prefer the now departed black 996s to the 997s now sat in one of their drives.

Incidentally, the other sold his black turbo for a Cayenne, but sold it within a year and went back to another 996, a silver X50.

Ian

That is indeed a beaut Pincher me old mate - a 911 Virgin pic me thinks grin.gif

Guy, it's the same story with every damn Porsche, you get all excited then see the Tip option smashfreakB.gif

Walked passed the neighbours Turbo this morning and it is a Tip - made me feel slightly better tongue.gif

Ian - there is a lovely black X50 for sale at the moment - that would be ideal if I was looking for one wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Where is that car Wopps?

I think Lapis and Grey is actually nice grin.gif

Just between the 3 of us we all have different views smashfreakB.gif

I also like Cobalt, you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben im not sure what the name of the dealer is, but its in Penn in Buckinghamshire. Is a private dealer that sells a bit of everything, mostly old cars but they do have a couple of specials in, one being a CCR in sky blue which has been there even longer than the 996!

I will have a fiddle on the net and try to find the name of it for you. 169144-ok.gif

I honestly think you wont want that car though. Dead boring! Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers Sam, just would like to see why it has been around for so damn long!

Lapis is nice!!!

WP0ZZZ99Z3S681023_1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Ben,

Finally found it after a long long time... You will see why if you ever visit! grin.gif

http://www.sladesgarage.com/ADMIN/CARS.ASP

It dosent look like the car is oin the stock list. They may have sold it, or it just might not be on their. It worth giving them a call. 169144-ok.gif