2007 TMC disk

[ QUOTE ]

Radio coverage is only part of the issue (it is transmitted on the Classic FM frequency) - the way TMC works is based on statistical data from vehicles that are actually travelling on the same roads you are. Eddie Stobart trucks, National Express coaches and AA patrol vehicles all transmit data back (+ lots of other high mileage vehicle users as well).

It is worth having a read up on the background of RDS-TMC which actually belongs to ITIS holdings: ITIS Holdings

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, but there are actually 2 commercial TMC services in UK, iTMC form ITIS and Trafficmaster RDS-TMC from Trafficmaster Plc; see the TMC forum website beerchug.gif

http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc/tmc_services_today/united_kingdom.htm

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye as per this link:

http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=Audi

I wonder which system offers the most accurate data? ITIS get their data from regional traffic offices and various tracked vehicles. They quote 100% motorway coverage and 75% A/A(M) road coverage.

TMC quote 100% motorway and 95% trunk road coverage using their network of fixed site sensors.

It seems that Audi (VW Group including Bentley) and Honda are pretty much the only companies taking advantage of the TMC info supplied by Traffic Master. All the other companies including BMW (and Mini), Ford MoCo (and Jag, LandRover, Volvo, etc), Mercedes, Nissan, Renault, Porsche, Subaru, Toyota (and Lexus), Vauxhall (and Saab) etc all use the ITIS system.

Well, having taken the RS out for the first time since installing the update, I have to say that I'm impressed with the onscreen presentation of the trouble spots, compared with that of the old CD Nav+!

The old one only used motorway data. As I drove round the south of London last Thursday evening, I could see that my route was threading between the highlighted trouble spots! smile.gif

I was expecting my journey in rush hour to take longer.

Last Wednesday evening I had to get from Sutton to Covent Garden in the early evening, and back after going to the theatre.

The TMC re-routed me to avoid a traffic queue on the A23 and a closure on the A3 - all with clear information and onto sensible alternative routes.

To anyone hesitating about whether they need/want the TMC upgrade I would say don't wait get it done now!

Have the car booked in for Friday 26th as the washer bottle is leaking so I'll see if I can get the new discs at the same time.

Ashley, I'd have thought Monday is pushing your luck as the original memo said the discs would be available to order from the 22nd so the chances of the dealer having them by then are remote I'd have thought.

Sorry for the stupid question and not sure if I have missed this in the thread somewhere, but why do you have to have your car booked in to simply change the DVD over ?, am I missing something here or is there a change to be made to the actual RNS-E unit as well to allow it to run the new disc confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You can do it yourself, but you need the pin which most people don't have ... it installs and rebots.

When at a dealer, they are online so the pin gets loaded from there.

Have a look on RS246.com

[/ QUOTE ]

The experience of most people who have already done the upgrade is that the unit doesn't ask for the PIN - only very few units have asked for the PIN (no obvious pattern has emerged yet).

Everyone should have their PIN - the supplying dealer should put the sticker on the tear off card on the inside front page of the RNS-E manual.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the stupid question and not sure if I have missed this in the thread somewhere, but why do you have to have your car booked in to simply change the DVD over ?, am I missing something here or is there a change to be made to the actual RNS-E unit as well to allow it to run the new disc confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's NO hardware or coding change - just insert the 2007 DVD and watch the SW update happen.

IMHO Audi UK are making it appear complicated (so some dealers can justify charging for the upgrade), when it's actually very simple.

Bear in mind that in the rest of Europe Audi customers will just be buying the 2007 DVD from the Spares counter at their Audi dealer and inserting the very same DVD themselves!

[ QUOTE ]

Everyone should have their PIN - the supplying dealer should put the sticker on the tear off card on the inside front page of the RNS-E manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two separate dealers have told me that Audi UK are no longer supplying PINs with new vehicles.

This is obviously why they're saying to get the cars booked in, in case the unit asks for the PIN. If they just continued to distribute the PINs they wouldn't have this problem and could just distribute the discs!

I guess they're doing it for security reasons as you'll probably find far too many people were leaving the PINs in the car, never realising they were there, and the thieves cottoned on to this fact.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the dealers a talking sh!te. I had two new cars last year and both came with pin codes.

[/ QUOTE ]

All my Audis have come with PIN codes - including my RS4 which I collected last July.

And I retrofitted the Audi Bluetooth kit to another RS4 last year - and that came with the PIN too.

I also think the dealer who is saying they don't give customers PIN codes is full of sh!te.

Well, with all respect, this may be a very recent change that only affects cars delivered in the past few months,

All I know is that my car didn't come with a PIN number and two dealers have confirmed that this is now the correct procedure. The chances of Audi forgetting to put the PIN in the car AND two dealers coming up with the same bogus story are rather slim, surely?

[ QUOTE ]

Is there any disadvantage in obtaining an eval disk and performing the upgrade yourself? (technical issues aside)

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people have reported that reading a DVD-R is less reliable than a DVD-ROM (that's my experience too), especially when the temperature is hot or cold.

EU SW 0500 improved the readability of DVD-R's.

[ QUOTE ]

Well, with all respect, this may be a very recent change that only affects cars delivered in the past few months,

All I know is that my car didn't come with a PIN number and two dealers have confirmed that this is now the correct procedure. The chances of Audi forgetting to put the PIN in the car AND two dealers coming up with the same bogus story are rather slim, surely?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right but it could also be that some dealers don't give out the pin and some do.

I'm acually having an issue getting my nokia 6230i & bluetooth phone prep (phone now in the Audi cradle after Audi told me to purchase one as my bluetooth phone-book sync issue would likely then be resolved - not!) to sync up the phone book wih directory. I'm discreetly confident that upgrading the TMC and therefore, the RNS-E firmware might also iron out the phone book directory sync glitch I'm experiencing

After checking, my current software version is 0100. CraigyB posted up an image after upgrade of the RNS software and I'm sure it was 2 or more versions above mine.

On the disk compatability side, I can easily unerstand that certain drives might experience reliability issues, especially given the different blank DVD media out there plus the + & - formats - and then there's double sided disks (if required). I think I'd like the original disk, but then it could be a load of hassle getting Audi to do it!

How does Audi know you're an owner of the vehicle (and therefore; know to send you a letter re: TMC)? I bought my car privatley, though I did send in the road-side assistance card registration card that was in the wallet - as the car has plenty of warranty left).

Sorry for the long post & thanks for replying wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How does Audi know you're an owner of the vehicle (and therefore; know to send you a letter re: TMC)? I bought my car privatley, though I did send in the road-side assistance card registration card that was in the wallet - as the car has plenty of warranty left).

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi UK will send the letter to the person they think is the owner, at the address they think he/she lives at.