Probs with cooling fan

carnell

Has anybody had any problems with engine cooling fan coming on, even when engine is cold for instance first stared this morn and 30seconds later fan kicks in and goes off after a couple of mins, been out today done about 50 mile running around,must of come on half a dozen times.

Been back to stealers twice no fault found, this has been happening for a couple of months now.Time for another trip to dealers.

Hmmmm. Sounds like it has a fault. Assuming your coolant levels etc are okay, there should be a limited number of occasions / conditions under which the main fan would run. Some monitored condition has to be met for the ECU to activate the cooling fan, and if you are getting spurious activations then something is remiss.

I would imagine your best bet is to have a discussion with the stealer, and perhaps get them to do a road-test with you under the conditions you believe are most likely to recreate the fault. Alternatively, they may need to hang on to the car overnight and drive it to locate the fault (I got my stealer to do this recently, and all faults replicated themselves and were finally fixed).

Bottom line, it does sound like a fault.

I had the same problem, the fan comes on even though the engine is stone cold.( Everyone around you thinks you've been driving at warp 9 its so loud! ) The dealer said the cooling fan had to be changed... Which they did and I haven't had any problems since. Hope this helps 169144-ok.gif

Neil

I had the same problem a few months back, stealers fitted a new air con/cooling system in and all sorted under warranty... just the other problems to sort now!

Drivers door seal hanging off

Rear wiper with mind of its own

Bonnet won't open now, no matter how far round you tug the release (particular pain now I'm out of washer fluid)

Rusting hub caps

Corroding exhaust tips

Slight rusting around the door tops..!

Great these cars aren't they!

[ QUOTE ]

My rear wiper seems to have a mind of its own too- it mainly comes on by itself when you first start the engine regardless of where the wiper stalk is ... I hadn't thought it could taken in under warranty. Thanks for the idea : beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a fairly common problem a while ago - solution is replacement of the rear wiper motor under warranty. Had mine replaced after about 6 months.

Not had many probs really- Just the steering rack creaking, which needed replacing. The cooling fan thing and this rear wiper problem. No problems with rust or bodywork though, hope you get it sorted out. Keep us updated smile.gif

Neil, just reading previous post and realised its not your car thats rusty its new black gti's!

A few too many stellas doesn't help my reading jump.gif hope you get it sorted too!!

Aiden

it was me replying to you on reading new black gtis post my mistake,far 2 many last night,vodka redbulls and magners not in the same glass might i add last night beerchug.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Benji

had a look at that site but don"t think it is that because 1st fan is working ok to cool compressor but engine fan comes on when it feels like it,thanks anyway.off to dealers 2moro bike.thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

the thin strip that separates the 2 bits of glass on the rear doors is going slightly rusty at the top...

Should be easily replaced but you just dont expect that on this type of car!!

[/ QUOTE ] ah glad to say I don't have that problem as it's not there on a 3 door.

[ QUOTE ]

the thin strip that separates the 2 bits of glass on the rear doors is going slightly rusty at the top...

Should be easily replaced but you just dont expect that on this type of car!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sen this on loads of other cars in the past, Alfas use to suffer it bad. Should not have happened this early though! shocked.gif