Golf GTI 30th Anni V Honda Civic Type R

martininwillerby

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main difference is one is very likely to be a very quick and very reliable car.....

I dont think the Civic looks to bad, great engines - but I found them a little too much like hard work for everyday driving, always felt slow to me when you werent caning it, only felt like it was pulling once you hit 8k rpm. Golf on the other hand the engines (to me) feels like it has plenty pull all the time

I really like the look of the CTR but really don't think I could live with having to rev it hard to make swift progress all the time. It's probably a good fun weekend car but not a daily mile eater. Perhaps Honda will have addressed this in the new model. I also understand that it has a huge appetite for oil?

This aside, I reckon it will be a brilliant car and very successful wink.gif

I was thinking of getting a new R before we orderded the ED30.

I do like the looks, and the inside is very very nice compared to many new cars about.

The level of equipment for the GT version is also excellent and at £18600 OTR is very good value IMO.

They have given it more torqe low down by changing the CAM profile but its still the same engine as before, as quick as the GOLF 0-60 and more or less top end.

I still do think that the Golf is a better and more easy to live with day to day car, but I'm sure the Type R will sell let hot cakes.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

I really like the look of the CTR but really don't think I could live with having to rev it hard to make swift progress all the time. It's probably a good fun weekend car but not a daily mile eater. Perhaps Honda will have addressed this in the new model. I also understand that it has a huge appetite for oil?

This aside, I reckon it will be a brilliant car and very successful wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The oil thing isn't universal - apparently one or two do but mine basically didn't use any apart from what the filter soaks up after a service (across 50k of mixed driving & reasonable but not excessive use of the more entertaining part of the rev range).

It was around 20 on the last one (and for no good reason since 6th didn't give you any go - could have been used as a cruising gear which would have helped matters a little) and the gearing on this one is even shorter, although no indication as to quite how much lower.

As I realised some time ago when details of the new one first started coming out, the end result is no more power and no attempt to reduce weight to compensate for the changes that rivals such as Golf, Focus et al have made in the last couple of years - it's about 60-70kg more than previous gen. znaika.gif

Along with other factors such as looks, suspension (and for me personally one or two other things) I think the upshot is that this version might struggle to sell - call it a Mk3/4 GTI equivalent. I would imagine that a decent number of Civic buyers are now in GTIs & STs.

From what I've read, I reckon the standard GTI could be a better power delivery for every day road use as the edition 30 needs to be revved harder to explore the extra power. I particularly like the ability that the standard gti has to make swift progress without having to constantly screw the engine hard. I'm not doubting that the Edition30 is a faster car when driven hard though but for every day driving I prefer to have a stronger turbo boost from a lower rev range. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm - that makes cruising at 80mph a bit noisey perhaps at 4000 RPM

[/ QUOTE ]

Loud stereo is the answer smashfreakB.gif Hence why so many Civic drivers cruise round with music at 100dB - they forget to turn it down (OR THEY'RE DEAF). I have to confess I did do a bit of this myself sometimes and you have to conciously remember to turn it down, especially in summer.

[ QUOTE ]

From what I've read, I reckon the standard GTI could be a better power delivery for every day road use as the edition 30 needs to be revved harder to explore the extra power. I particularly like the ability that the standard gti has to make swift progress without having to constantly screw the engine hard. I'm not doubting that the Edition30 is a faster car when driven hard though but for every day driving I prefer to have a stronger turbo boost from a lower rev range. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Interesting and good point 169144-ok.gif.

I guess it makes my Revo Stage1 244 bhp package more desirable than an Ed30 regarding power delivery.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm - that makes cruising at 80mph a bit noisey perhaps at 4000 RPM

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what my Puma was in 5th gear (no 6th gear) and I'm enjoying the change now that I can effortlessly cruise along the motorway at sensible revs. As we keep saying, the GTI does have most of the bases covered...!

AE have not tested them together, they havn't even driven the R yet! Typical AE.

As for the 30th, I don't think the extra 30 bhp will make much difference to low down power, and you would hardyl notice any difference, its not like the VTEC units where to get torque you need high revs.

Dave

Well it is AutoExpress the "We were first" - which you'd then query, and find it untrue. I also noticed what looks like a Static review of the Civic in CAR, which wasn't much use either since it does exactly explain how it drives. As a previous Civic owner I'll be at least interested as to how this new one does. I'm still VERY unsure on the looks, but the noise never used to bother me too much, and as said the GT Pack brings equipment levels to comparable. Saying all that I'm getting VERY lazy with a lack of need to change gear in town with DSG. Would a manual be something I could live with again???

[ QUOTE ]

I think the upshot is that this version might struggle to sell - call it a Mk3/4 GTI equivalent. I would imagine that a decent number of Civic buyers are now in GTIs & STs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Think this is so true. The old civc held the crown because A: it was cheap and B: It didn't have too much in the way of competition (other than a 172 which is quite a bit smaller)

I'd agree that this will be considered this way. If you talk to people in Honda's they already thought the last Civic Type R was a bloater in itself, because of course the 1st Civic Type R - EK9 was a fair bit lighter again and used a 1.6 which still managed similar performance.

I'm not sure of this myself though having only owned the last Civic Type R, which I thought was pretty good too be honest, which is why I'm waiting to read about/possibly try out the new one.

Attractive price

Attractive engineering

Attractive styling NOT!

IMHO the new civic is one of the worst looking hatches OTR

It's "arse end" looks worse than Oprah's pre "fat farm"

I thought that they would have to be pretty radical with the "R" to make it look anywhere near acceptable, and if anything they appear to have gone completely the other way, and try and "soften" it's appeal...........total dung.gif

Oh well on the bright side can safely put a cross through "I want 1" where that is concerned..........

Am I going to bin the "R32" and buy a new S3? Stealer has a nice black one available..........stick or twist?

Now that is a tough call........... UHOH7.GIF

What do you think peeps? coffee.gif